Essay Tips to Consider

I think they are fine to use.

Google “Hacking the College Essay 2017” and read it.

Write the Essay No One Else Could Write

“It boils down to this: the essay that gets you in is the essay that no other applicant could write.
Is this a trick? The rest of this guide gives you the best strategies to accomplish this single
most important thing: write the essay no one else could write.
If someone reading your essay gets the feeling some other applicant could have written it,
then you’re in trouble.
Why is this so important? Because most essays sound like they could have been written by
anyone. Remember that most essays fail to do what they should: replace numbers (SAT/GPA) with the real you.
Put yourself in the shoes of an admissions officer. She’s got limited time and a stack of
applications. Each application is mostly numbers and other stuff that looks the same. Then she picks
up your essay. Sixty seconds later, what is her impression of you? Will she know something specifically
about you? Or will you still be indistinguishable from the hundreds of other applicants she has been
reading about?”

The million dollar question for me is “Did the essay really work or did the applicant get accepted in spite of the essay or even if the essay was indifferent?”

You go to some websites that says “college essays that worked” or something similar but we really don’t know if the essay was the controlling factor that got Suzy into a selective college unless we talk to the adcom directly about this specific student’s entire application.

It’s a complex and interesting question but I have a feeling that most accepted students have essays that are very average but the rest of their “body of work”, choice of major, and LOR are what got them in. The essay was not the controlling factor.

Occasionally you have a very compelling story like the applicant who was homeless who lived in her car during high school and was ultimately accepted to Harvard.

IMO, for most colleges, the essay is just another data point and not as important as we might think. I remember talking with a UCSB college rep and she said that the essay was 50% of the decision and very important. In reality, GPA, course rigor, and test scores are likely 90% on whether or not they accept you.

May I please repeat that it’s not “the essay only you could write?” It’s not picking it up off the floor and saying, wow, Johnny’s college personal statement. If only you would write about something your dog did or some lower school experience or how you hide in the attic or hate your little brother
none of those are what they look for. They aren’t relevant, won’t edge you along. Despite being “you.”

For very top colleges, most kids write so-so essays. And most kids do not get an admit.

I had this struggle with my son too. I agree with you

Anyone recommend any college that considers essays more important than anything else?

@Herpzlord This might be best handled in a new thread to get specific lists. But in general:

• Some colleges pride themselves on unusual questions (check out UChicago). They are very interested in the essay. But they also expect the “full package”. A great essay won’t overcome bad stats there.
  • You can bump your chances a little with a great essay at any college that says they have holistic admissions. It can give you an edge over other similar applicants. But it won’t vault you into a new tier of consideration. #1 question a college has is: “Can you succeed academically there?” You still need to pass that hurdle. You need to apply to colleges that match your stats.
  • Be sure to complete any optional or supplemental essays.

@intparent Thank you so much for your advice.

@Herpzlord, Bard has an alternative application that’s entirely essay based.
http://www.bard.edu/bardexam/

@Sue22 Wow thank you for the information

I agree

Only way to know essays made a significant difference is if the adcom tells you so, or at an accepted students gathering, they mention your essay as one of the impactful essays, i.e., that stood out to them. Even then, who knows?

The common data set of almost every college lists how much importance a given college places on the essay. A bad essay at a college that considers them “very important” can be a decisive factor in denial. A great essay at that same college might outweigh other factors. And there have been quite a few stories here on CC whereby a student has received a personal note saying the essay was memorable, etc
 If you get in despite some weaker points in your app, it could well be that the essay made the difference.

@Herpzlord - William and Mary is known to value the essay highly, and likes quirky, different submissions. I won’t necessarily leapfrog a student who is academically unqualified, but will allow a talented writer to demonstrate their “uniqueness”.

I am not sure being the great writer is a prerequisite to writing great college essays. Some kids write book essays beautifully but have a hard time writing about themselves.

I also would encourage any young person, if they are going to include any info about mental health to include how their adherence to professional guidance improved their personal trajectory toward stabilization of any condition. Leading then, to continue on toward education and a future secure professional occupation.

My oldest was a pretty good writer for an engineer, but found the personal essay excruciating. In the end he began the essay with his favorite procrastination technique which was writing a program that would write the essay for him. He started the essay with a paragraph the program “wrote”. My other kid wrote about how he started folding origami so he wouldn’t fall asleep in AP Bio, but then he kept going with it. I think their essays showed intellectual vitality, a willingness to teach themselves things they weren’t getting in a classic curriculum and a sense of humor.

Don’t forget you want to be likable, and you want to seem like someone who would add to the intellectual climate of the school.

I think @mathmom gave some really good advice. I would encourage everyone to be personal (on at least some level) with their essays and honest.

Hey guys, I’m a student who’ll be applying later this year. I’ve religiously gone through this thread and had a question about my current essay.

I’m currently writing about something that’s an integral part of who I am. If I had to pitch myself to an AO or really anyone in an academic context, the thing I’m writing about would 100% be present. However, I feel like this might be something that’s normal in the American education system and only mine lacks that thing (it’s about how I study and form my ideas and beliefs). Do you think it’s still a good idea to write about it?

I don’t see why not, since it’s such an important part of who you are. From what I’m getting (correct me if I’m wrong) you’re an international student and your education system (may) lack something that you think is present in the American education system, and you have gone out of your way and developed this skill or quality. A few more specifics would be helpful, but what I am thinking is that in your essay it might be a good idea to mention how your school might be different from other applicants, but you have developed this skill or quality anyway. Otherwise admission officers may get a little confused if it is typical for American students.