Essay

<p>Hello! I've written an essay with the following question:
1. Consider something in your life you think goes unnoticed and write about why it's important to you.</p>

<p>I really want to get feedback for my essay, so here it is:</p>

<p>I will never forget the day when my father announced our trip to Somalia. It would mean that I would finally get to see many relatives, including my paternal grandmother, for the first time in my life. It would also mean that I would get to really see how the African life and scenery is really all about. Sure enough, the days got faster, and by June, we were on our way. The trip in Somalia was truly a great experience for me. The relatives that I met made our vacation extremely hospitable as well. But after experiencing this vacation, something hit me. I finally got to realize something in my life that goes unnoticed: the importance of a family.
The influence that my relatives brought to me during the trip made me realize why family life is important. It’s because a family functions as a tightly-knit group. Everyone needs to look out for one another. A person could be able to choose anything that he or she desires. But a family is something that cannot be chosen at all. That is why people, especially in Somalia, take this to an advantage. For example, in the United States, the nuclear family is usually the most tightly-knit. It’s also a lot more common to find a nuclear family at a home than an extended family. But in Somalia, however, the extended family places great importance. In most places, especially in small villages, almost everyone knows one another. Almost every day, I’m bound to see at least one cousin, uncle, or aunt. In fact, it’s not unusual to see the same relative come and interact at your house day after day! Even the ancestors are considered to be extremely important. In tradition, people in Somalia are expected to memorize multiple generations of their ancestors. Back in America, I hardly knew anything about my great-great-grandfather. If people in Somalia found out that I barely have any knowledge about him, I would be a laughing-stock! If there is any lesson that I learned about my vacation in Somalia, it is that it doesn’t matter if your relative is still alive or dead for one hundred years. You are still expected to know at least something about him or her.
I knew when I first stepped into my father’s village of Badhan that I would be in for a culture-shock. Indeed, I was. But the experience really helped me change up my perspective about a family. The trip taught me to never take things for granted. Nobody will ever live forever, so I need to take every moment to cherish my relatives, living or dead, no matter how far away they are. They are your relatives. They are your loved ones. They are your friends. And they will support you, no matter what. That’s why the life of a family should be important to me.</p>

<p>If you're able to, can you please give any thoughts, feedback, or ideas for editing? Thanks!</p>

<p>Just a (perhaps irrelevant) comment…</p>

<p>What family stands for:
Father And Mother I Love You --> FAMILY</p>

<p>Perhaps you can use it in your essay?</p>

<p>your essay has a good central theme. but there are issues with your English. Perhaps your teacher/relative/friend can offer edits. Also it would help to be more reflective on your family and the bond as you learned it while traveling in Somalia.
My impression is, for UW, essay is not a make-or-break item. so you’re good. </p>