Experienced Posters: Help Me Not Mess Up In Guiding My Kid Through The Next Three Years.

She will clearly run out of classes to take strictly through HS.
Math: Calculus AB freshman year, Calculus BC sophomore year, junior&senior year: pick from calculus-based statistics 1&2, MCV, discrete math, linear algebra depending on what she’s interested in/what’s available at the nearest CC/what you can find online.*
Foreign Language: French 4-> AP French → upper intermediate/advanced French at the college level, typically involving grammar/composition, debate/discussion, culture, history, and/or literature
Foreign Language: Spanish 4-> AP Spanish Language-> choice of AP Spanish Lit (which is like Ap English Lit but with Spanish language classical literature) or upper intermediate/advanced Spanish courses, typically involving grammar/composition, debate/discussion, culture, history, and/or literature.
Science: Biology Honors, Chemistry Honors (any order); AP Physics C [due to having completed BC sophomore year and physics in pre-HS, should be doable)
English: 9, 10, AP English Language or DE Freshman Composition, (DE?) Electives for English 12
History: whatever the sequence is, might be AP Human Geo, World History, APUSH, AP economics/gov/history or DE equivalents (including a greater variety of subjects).
Due to being a high-level athlete, she may be interested in Anatomy&Physiology.

I would work through the AP courses. Look to graduating High school a year early , and see how the college process works, maybe do a gap year. Look into doing lab courses DE , doing a total
Immersion language experience. Also look for some good community service opportunities. It’s great to find some interesting things for son that he wants to do. He should be proactive in finding those activities.

As a parent, look at what numbers the merit scholarships want and start getting into good position to apply for them. Rose Hulman sounds like a gem of a school with great merit opportunities and strong tech. Look for such schools. Things are a moving target so you do have to keep track of them.

Two semesters per year, students can take 7 courses. (Do students actually take 7 subjects per year for all high school?) Would prefer the kid to not have to take any courses over the summer. Tentative classes, radical pathway:

Math - Math 150 (Calc w/ Analytic Geo 1) 151 (Calc w/ Analytic Geo II)
Science - Adv. Biology 1,2 (9-10)
Science - Hon Chemistry 1,2 (10-12)
History - World History & Geography 1, 2 (9-10)
English - English 3,4 Cluster (10)
World Language 1 - Spanish 7,8 (year 4)
World Language 2 - French 7,8 (online year 4)
PE - (not on campus, log training hours & do assignments so little time commitment)

Math - Multi-Variable Calculus?
Science - AP Physics
History - AP European History 1,2
English - AP English Language & Composition 1,2
World Language 1 - AP Spanish Language 1,2
World Language 2 - AP French Language 1,2
PE - (last year to fulfill this option, woot!)

Math - Linear Algebra?
Science - AP Chemistry
History - AP US History 1,2
History - AP Art History
English - AP English Literature 1,2
World Language - French community college course
(seventh online course or community college course in art/design?)

No AP Bio, Government/Economics on this schedule. Also, limited community college classes. It’s the start of brainstorming a potential list of classes.

At least in our CA high school it is uncommon to take seven classes each year (sports participation allows exemption from the second year of required PE). Senior year many take five classes. My kids took 7,6,6,6 and 6,6,6,5 respectively (second kid was doing 25 hours of dance per week) and both had good results in college applications.

Thanks for the insight. Not sure how this works. And then there’s ways of ranking students. Couple of outliers at this school have skewed high in the past - one MIT kid (rare) had 90 college credits upon graduation. How would that work in turns of DE classes, anyway?

APs are viewed as “college credit” but whether the college actually accepts them may be a different matter. Being useful in college is a different matter again.

My kids had roughly 1.5 years and 2 years of college credits respectively from 9-10 APs (the amount given varies by school, the one with fewer APs actually got more credit).

But in reality they won’t use much if any of them, maybe at most one semester worth, because none of the credits count towards their majors.

Got it. The MIT kid’s 90 units were of DE credit, if I remember it correctly. Don’t know how many DE courses that would be - it would vary? They were probably all STEM courses.

Why the two FLs? If it’s pure interest, great, if not it’s unnecessary.

Here’s my last thought - this graduate HS in 3 years plan leaves no room for any electives, especially if she doubles up in FL. You will just hit the core subjects. Some of my D’s best opportunities in HS came from her electives. She took pre-engineering courses, CS * (see my note below), stats, choir, and orchestra. Choir and orchestra (while only year 1/2) gave her leadership opportunities because by junior and senior year when they wouldn’t fit in her schedule, she was accompanying and directing music rehearsals for theater and developing outside the classroom connections with teachers who ended up writing amazing LORs. Pre-engineering gave her not only a taste of working and leading project teams, but the opportunity to be nominated and win regional awards, pilot a new class, and she led a group that came up with a patentable invention. Her college application would have been significantly weaker without those electives. IMO, those are the kinds of experiences a child loses being rushed through HS. It’s also what the “competition” will have on their HS resume. (I do alumni meetings for Cornell and am blown away by what kids are accomplishing in HS. My daughter’s resume was in no way unique and is the norm of what I see every single year).

*While you’ve repeatedly stated your D has no interest in CS, programming is an essential skill for every engineering major and is integrated into many of their classes. At my D’s school, college level CS is required for mech es. My chem e daughter (which in some schools the major isn’t even in engineering) had programming heavily integrated into her first year design class and woven throughout her chem e energy and mass balance classes, as well her engineering stats and probabilities. There is no way to get away from doing at least some CS work as an engineer.

My point in stressing this is that my D had one formal CS course in high school, plus a bit of programming in her pre-engineering class. She did a summer college program in HS where she learned a bit more but that was the extent of her exposure. She felt very, very far behind most of her peers her first year of college when it came to programming. Almost everyone had taken all the CS courses offered in their HS so the professors started off feeling like most students were proficient, or close to it. Every single project had a coding component so she had to scramble to catch up.

A year long AP course is usually 4-6 semester credits depending on the course. A one semester DE course may be 3-5 semester credits, so it’s easier to rack up a large number. But I doubt many of them would have been used at MIT, given the rigor of the teaching there is very different from a local community college.

That explains things. The DE credit was a way to an acceptance; as to how that impacted courses taken on campus - wouldn’t know.

Foreign language because being trilingual can’t be a bad thing and both parents speak one of each. There are few high school electives and clubs on campus; combo of very small size, teachers not able to support them, and shoestring budget (it’s a bit Dickensian). The electives at other schools simply don’t exist here.

Would love for the kid to program, but waiting because she wasn’t into it. Totally get that it’s a thing (spouse’s job and all) but have to find something appropriate outside of school. Good to know that it’s needed on campus. Wonder what out-of-school CS programs she should learn.

I don’t see the point of graduating from HS early.

These days, with the internet, kids aren’t limited by what is offered in HS. Especially if you have the means to spend a few hundred dollars per course. There are local college courses (CC, etc.), AoPS, MIT Open Courseware, etc., etc.

And I’m much more in favor of letting kids go far in interests than focusing on what is “necessary”. Plus, languages and math really should be learnt young. So if she wants to go deep in to 2 (or more) foreign languages, that’s great.

I also have to say, though, that I am not a fan of all this planning. You can show her all the possible classes she could choose, or tell her she could have a ton of free time to do whatever she wants. It likely would inspire her to do some creative and unique things.

There really are truly many paths to any goal in this country. Just make sure she can nurture her interest in math (to keep options open), languages if she wants them, test prep for scholarships, and she’ll do fine.

C and Python were what D used the most first year but I don’t know if that varies school to school.

How and why did she end up so far ahead in math? Were her math courses offered by the school, online, DE, or at home? You haven’t explicitly said, but is she considered “gifted”?

I spent a lot of time trying to find a better school for one of my kids, when she was who was advanced in maturity as well as academically. This was halfway through high school, when she had kind of run out of courses and seemed ready for college. We ended up keeping her where she was and supplementing, and some of her EC interests had time to really develop.

To be honest we weren’t thinking about admissions but about happiness :slight_smile: Ironically, the expansion of the EC interest really did help with admissions. Her maturity made her a leader (voted most likely to succeed etc.). And the mediocrity of school offerings was actually a big plus in admissions because any achievements were evaluated against that backdrop, and kid was seen as making things happen for herself rather than having them handed to her.

A public school dependent on independent work is kind of unusual. Is it rural? Does the community not fund it? I am a little mystified by this scenario. But I will say that independent work of any kind- in-school, out of school, online, via EC’s is highly regarded by colleges.

Planning in order to get into schools and onto a career path may be premature, but planning to keep your kid stimulated and happy is never premature.

ps We did look at Simon’s Rock. and Boston University Academy http://www.buacademy.org/ which is billed as a “High school with a college education.” There were others, I forget…there seem to be many schools for gifted and advanced students, with the social milieu still geared to high school.

Also there are high school magnets for STEM. Have you considered moving?This was also on the table for our family, but we never did it. We got close!

That said, one of my favorite academic experiences was studying French literature once I had enough fluency to do that. That is available to your daughter with her language experience. Lots of other experiences to be had. (How about some Latin?)

Here is a thought…@kevinfromOC daughter didn’t go to prep school until her second year of high school.

Your daughter could re-apply…and follow up very carefully to make sure all materials are sent in a timely fashion. Maybe that’s an option that could be considered.

All options are on the table. Suggestions now are preferred to missed opportunities later.

The school curriculum is meat and potatoes, mostly A-G courses, with electives suited to K-8. Not much for high schoolers, small experience, social cliques, it is what it is. The art teacher moved away so art courses have been dropped, few are left. Four more years of this lack of fit - she did test as gifted - there has to be a better way. Also, if she’s DE for almost all her courses the last two years, then she’s not even on campus, and it’s hard to see the peer group experience of that.

School provides the academic framework/transcript, but any sports and most ECs are de-facto off campus. Summer camps, supplies at home provide the creativity for unique things.

Actually skipped my last year of high school entirely (shocking many people who said not to, but nothing much was happening there for me academically at that point). Did sport growing up so was a disciplined student in undergrad. The higher-level work was a good kick in the pants. Wasn’t bored - too busy. Had a blast away at school. Pursued many ECs and friendships. Great experience. So there is a family precedent. Different time now, different kid. Could be a bad thing - or a good thing.

All options are being considered. She could do higher-level work now much more easily than we could back in the day, but the campus experience isn’t a social fit. Suggestions of online courses, MOOCs, it’s all good. Just an observation, though - she has led the way with interests, not the other way around.

Another thing too I’ve gathered from your thread, and it’s a mentality thing: There’s really no such thing as a missed opportunity. Yes, doors do close, but then when you go in to another room, you’ll find other doors that you could open. Looking at the world with the mindset of an abundance mentality does a lot of good for you if you’re not in a warzone/crime-ridden area/other place where mere survival is the key goal. And for someone as smart as her, the world really is her oyster.

I honestly think you need to find a better school, academically and socially. You can only overcome so much by trying to piece things together. I would look into schools for the gifted and/or high schools that offer a college education like the ones I mentioned. Have you considered talking with an educational consultant? It might be worth it.

She is only 13 and already you are feeling like she will hit some walls.

You can overcome the mediocrity of her school with a lot of effort. My main question, again, is what will make her happy and fulfilled for those years, nevermind college.

Many kids are unhappy in high school, and many schools don’t meet their needs. Many parents aren’t concerned. You are.

The only other option is moving.

I would like to comment on the graciousness of your posts.

@PurpleTitan Can see how these posts would support what you say. Already this cc thread has been an excellent conversation to help figure out a path that can inspire the kid. None of her teachers or counselors have been able to discuss the current landscape or what other students have experienced.

The kid has always been in a one-class per grade schooling situation with a very small campus and not a ton of facilities/supplies. It’s exhausting to have to supplement each year. So when the opportunity to change that came and went, it was back to the drawing board. Looking for those new open doors and the oyster - that is not exactly her current campus environment.

Would love nothing more than to have others help inspire her. My time is valuable, too.

@compmom Was hoping to have the posters on cc help with educational consulting first, to get a lay of the land. Thank you for the compliment. It is very much appreciated.

And yes impact on you is important too. I think a lot of us understand the exhaustion of trying to make this work. You deserve help. If I lived in your area, I could suggest some schools. I wonder if you could access a gifted student forum or support group.

Good luck! She is lucky to have you :slight_smile:

For college math courses, multivariable calculus and linear algebra are typically one semester courses. Linear algebra may be combined with differential equations, or the two topics may be offered separately (sometimes with lower credit courses than other math courses). This is the set of college soph-level math courses that will apply to most engineering majors.

Would government/civics (regular or AP) and health be high school graduation requirements?

Is there a specific reason to graduate high school in three years (even if the fourth year is mostly taking college courses at a local community college)?