Extracurricular, Activities

I mentored two people who wanted to study outside of the city and now they are out of city doing their studies, so my question is should I add this in my application as an extracurricilar because someone told me that this is not about me and it doesn’t show any impact, which I disagree but I am still in a dilemma .

Mentored them doing what? What was YOUR role?

Add to that: how much time did you spend mentoring them? For just a few hours, or was this more regular, such as weekly sessions over the course of a year (for example)?

They didn’t know how to go to google and search for good scholarship and schools. I basically did these staffs and helped them to enroll in their schools.

So you basically showed some students how to use Google?

Not really. I found eligible schools and scholarship for them like a college counselor but this one counts for my home country, so a little different task.

1.are you an international student?

1. You can list this if you want to…but it sounds more like helping friends navigate the internet to find information…not really mentoring. But that’s my opinion.
4 Likes

Yes, personally, I frequently train/educate people on how to do certain tasks, but I would not describe those as mentorships. To me, that implies a much more comprehensive and longer-lasting relationship.

The problem is there is no hard line about when a relationship crosses over into a mentorship.

In the end, I think it is fine if the OP wants to include this activity, if it was meaningful to the OP. I just might be a little cautious about using the word “mentor”.

2 Likes

What can I use instead?

How about “helped” because really that’s all you did. And that’s why I think you should likely not use this at all.

1 Like

The verb that comes to my mind based on what you described is “advised”.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.