FAFSA what $$ goes where?

This is not my first rodeo. But because of ID theft at my accountant, the IRS DRT is not working. (I was warned of this by the accountant).

We also have complicated income streams.

To wit:
Husband started receiving Social Security retirement income in 2021. Husband also received pandemic unemployment for a couple months before SS kicked in.
We also have royalty income on Line 5, Schedule 1.

I’m the wage slave, but also Parent 2 as per 1040.

So, when FAFSA asks:
How much did your Parent 1 (father/mother/stepparent) earn from working (wages, salaries, tips, etc.) in 2021?
This amount is your Parent 1 (father’s/mother’s/stepparent’s) portion of IRS Form 1040—line 1 + Schedule 1, lines 3 + 6 + Box 14 (Code A) of Schedule K-1 (Form 1065).

Do I add up all the previously mentioned $$ for my husband? The royalty money isn’t “his,” per se – and it’s also not on line 3 or 6 of Schedule 1 – but it’s not my W-2 either. Not sure where it goes at all.

ARGH. This is going to be a long day.
Thanks for any help!

1 Like

@kelsmom ? @BelknapPoint ?

1 Like

It sounds like the only income from wages is your income, so you’ll just report that. Neither SS nor unemployment are income from work, and only the Schedule K lines indicate d are relevant as income from work. The other income is reported as part of AGI. The income from work question is separate from that, although I can’t recall off the top of my head exactly why they ask for it.

Thanks, as always, you’re always so helpful.

So if SS/unemployment/royalties are not to be put down as income from work, Parent 1 will have zero.

They ask the separate income from work question because they are doing a different calculation, something to do with FICA/other tax deductions. I used to try to understand it but now I just want to finish it and don’t care why :slight_smile: )

Yes, Parent 1 will be 0. And it does have to do with FICA/taxes - I used to know, but the longer I’m away from working in financial aid, the less minutiae I can recall!