Fall 2024 admission to colleges based on my stats [FL resident, 3.2 GPA, 1230 SAT, "definitely need financial aid"; journalism or sports management]

Syracuse is need aware and it’s highly unlikely that they would take someone with your stats - period - but especially with that amount of aid. That makes it triply hard.

You are just not that student they’d invest in.

Please look at schools I mentioned earlier - Southern Illiniois, Central Michigan, W Carolina - all have your major and all will be lower price - and I don’t think we yet know your budget.

Sorry - but this is the reality.

Doesn’t mean you shouldn’t try - but you need an assured, affordable admit. I mentioned some others earlier to you should look at for you to look at- but not sure how much you’re able to pay.

These are: Alabama, Indiana (maybe), Kansas, Ohio U as mentioned and the other OU - Oklahoma. Missouri may work but not sure how competitive journalism is to get in. URI is another. Again, not sure we have the budget.

Good luck.

4 Likes

Hi everyone, thought I would provide an update as it has been a while. I was accepted into UCF and FIU for my first choice major and semester! (I also qualify for Bright Futures)

I also took everyones advice and applied to more “safety/match” schools, such as University of Iowa, UArizona, and UTampa.

I am very much keeping my options open while also thinking very realistically on my top schools, as you all remind me to be (Syracuse, Clemson, FSU,and UF). I think a lot of you think I believe I really have a chance at these schools, and am getting my hopes up,but in reality I know it is VERY slim that I get accepted into any of them. I applied knowing that I will most likely attend one of my safeties, and I am ok with that and love my safeties; I just thought I’d give some more difficult schools a long shot (you miss 100% of the shots you don’t take,right?)

Speaking of Syracuse,. I am considering applying ED2 to improve my chances, even if it is just by a little. Thoughts? Thank you everyone for helping me so far, this has been a long process.

2 Likes

Congratulations on the admits and qualifying for Bright Futures!

With respect to ED2 at Syracuse, have you visited? Is the result the Net Price Calculator is providing affordable for your family? Is it your clear first-choice?

2 Likes

I see above that you were fine with the results of the Syracuse NPC. Applying ED2 might increase your chances there. However, their admissions rate for ED is really not that much higher that their admissions rate for RD. Most importantly, the majors you have chosen there are among the most selective, and they are need-aware. To put it bluntly, they’ll have their pick of applicants for these majors and they’ll probably prioritize people with higher stats and/or full-pay.

But if you don’t apply ED2, you can compare the financial aid offers from other schools and you might find something that is an even better fit for you. (And if you haven’t visited, don’t consider applying ED anywhere).

UCF and FIU are two great admits - and the cost is good.

Would you / your family let you choose SU over these two?

If so, then you can apply ED.

Not sure about your budget but make sure it works.

And make sure you know what living in a freezer is like!! It’s frigid. It’s not Key West :wink:

Congrats on the two you got into - both fine schools.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.