Feeling Lost In Alabama

<p>Please encourage her to get out and do something…</p>

<p>On Saturday there is a Hnads on Tuscaloosa Volunteer activiity. It starts at 8:30 am , but a great way to meet some folks and do something good. Sign up at the Community Service Center/ Divison of Student Affairs.</p>

<p>I’m sure she is a bright girl and there is a reason she selected UA. Go to Get On Board Day. Sign up for the more than 400 organizations on campus, look for groups in her major or if undecided exploratory groups.</p>

<p>There are many inturmural clubs through the recreation center. I remember a few years ago a few girls got involved with the Rowing team. Last year we had a hometown (Ohio)
girl play rugby…she just thought it would be fun!</p>

<p>Oh and concerning the roommates with boyfriends… November is coming. Thats when all the hometown romances break up where we are from. We call it the Turkey Drop!</p>

<p>Bama Girls -
The game is called “Bigger and Better” (at least in my neck of the woods). You start off giving 2 (or more) teams something simple, a marker, a book, etc. They have 1 hour (or whatever you designate) to go door to door and trade your item for something bigger and better. In the end, whichever group comes back with the “best” item (as deemed by the judges) wins. It really is a hoot to watch and to be in. My neighbor girl did this for her birthday party, and the winning group traded their marker all the way for a large “bouncy horse”. It was too cute watching the girls walk through the neighborhood with it! I think this game would be so much fun in the dorm!! How cool!</p>

<p>Women’s Rowing Walk-On info:
[ALABAMA</a> CRIMSON TIDE - University of Alabama Official Athletic Site - Women’s Rowing](<a href=“http://www.rolltide.com/sports/w-rowing/spec-rel/faq.html]ALABAMA”>http://www.rolltide.com/sports/w-rowing/spec-rel/faq.html)</p>

<p>They are always looking for coxswains also:
Q: What makes a good coxswain?
A: Because a coxswain does not row, smaller, lighter athletes are usually chosen for the position. A successful coxswain is bright, confident, and able to motivate others. The coxswain must be able to anticipate what lies ahead, whether in the boat while maneuvering to the starting line, navigating a race at top speed, or on land when directing rowers carrying a boat through a crowd.</p>

<p>Sometimes it takes a few weeks to get the feel of things. A lot of clubs haven’t started yet and many of those that have aren’t really expecting freshmen to know about their meetings yet. I remember having the same concerns when I was a freshman and it was difficult until things really started up in the beginning of September.</p>

<p>Just today I met a freshman from Georgia who introduced himself while I was waiting for the bus to the OOS Student Reception(he appeared to be walking back to his dorm). I thought that it was an interesting and potentially great way to meet people. </p>

<p>Speaking as an introverted person who tends to get along better with older adults, one really has to put themselves out there and meet people. I was surprised at myself today when, as an OOS student representative at the OOS/International/Transfer Student mixer, I had the courage to go up and talk with various groups of freshman, many of whom are just as nervous about meeting people and making friends as the OP’s daughter. I have to say that the incoming freshman class includes some very interesting people who would make great friends.</p>

<p>Part of the problem I see is that freshman and freshman parents expect the freshman to become and stay friends with almost everyone they meet. Life doesn’t work this way. Put yourself out there and see what happens. Even if some of these friends are only temporary, you’ve made a good effort and hopefully made some memories in the process.</p>

<p>Finally, be careful about having a significant other in another part of the country or preferring to go online and do stuff with friends from home. I’ve seen many students who, instead of going out and meeting people, preferred to stay inside and communicate with their friends from home. Go out and meet people, returning later to compare notes with your friends from home who are hopefully doing the same thing at their schools. Make UA your second home.</p>

<p>Is your D going to have a part-time job while she’s in school? That can be another source for making new friends. </p>

<p>If she’s the type to go to church/temple services, that can also be a source for new friends and activities.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>FWIW, my son did not find this to be the case. He made many friends before he joined a fraternity.</p>

<p>my daughter was also not greek her freshman year and she had plenty of friends.</p>

<p>it just takes a little bit of time and putting yourself out there.</p>

<p>

You’re right; I should have phrased that differently.</p>

<p>In my opinion, the advantage of Greek life is simply that you’re spending a significant amount of time with one group of people so it is easier to connect with them more quickly, versus seeing someone in class twice a week when you might only have a few minutes to talk. There have been a lot of times when I sat next to someone in class and felt that I could see myself being friends with them, but we just never became more than acquaintances since we didn’t see each other outside of class. At a smaller school it would be easier because you probably have people who are in your dorm AND a few classes AND clubs, but this isn’t as common at a larger university. </p>

<p>It could just be my circumstances (never met my neighbors, had very few freshmen in my classes) but I feel as if I would have had a lot of difficulty making friends other than my roommates if not for going greek. But again, everyone is different and it all depends on your personality, your classes, what you get involved in, etc.</p>

<p>Get On Board Day: Dusk Edition</p>

<p>Thursday, August 30, 2012.
5:00pm until 10:00pm in CDT.
Ferg Plaza, Tuscaloosa​, Alabama </p>

<p>Get on Board Day, hosted by The SOURCE, is a festival-like atmosphere that provides students with an opportunity to see what UA’s 450+ organizations have to offer. Featuring entertainment, free food from area vendors, and giveaways from numerous businesses and organizations, it is the perfect opportunity to become involved in our tremendously diverse campus community!</p>

<p>This year’s GOBD has been revamped to provide a more engaging, technologically interactive, and cool (literally) atmosphere! The “dusk” setting should allow for more time to interact with organizations without the distraction of hot weather, classes, or other engagements. Get ready to get involved!</p>

<p>–
Checkout The SOURCE for more ways to get connected with student organizations or to learn the process of creating your own!</p>

<p>@theSOURCEua | [The</a> Source | Where Do You Fit In?](<a href=“http://thesource.ua.edu/]The”>http://thesource.ua.edu/)</p>

<p>Concerned Mom,</p>

<p>I’m sure every parent who reads your post wants to give you a hug. That’s a tough one, hearing that your kid is unhappy and you’re what seems like a million miles away.</p>

<p>But give it time. </p>

<p>You’ve gotten some great advice - encourage your D to go to everything, and sign up for every club that is even remotely interesting to her. She can decide which ones to pursue later. When she takes part in things that interest her she’ll meet people with similar interests and that’s a good foundation for friendships.</p>

<p>It’s early days - hopefully the next call will be happier and will put you at ease. Please keep us posted :)</p>

<p>On Saturday there is a “Hands on Tuscaloosa Volunteer activity”. It starts at 8:30 am , but a great way to meet some folks and do something good. Sign up at the Community Service Center/ Divison of Student Affairs.</p>

<p>That is a great idea. It will be like a One Day Outdoor Action activity. </p>

<p>The one thing that she shouldn’t do is stay in her dorm room. My kids have made friends with kids in classes, kids they meet while hanging in Starbucks, kids they meet at the Rec Center, kids they meet just standing in line, etc. </p>

<p>It does sound like she missed a number of very good WoW week activities, including the party for OOS students. She may have skipped them since her roomies weren’t going.</p>

<p>Kids will skip a lot of things because their roomies don’t go. This was the case with my son. Eventually, he made friends with the neighboring rooms, and they had a large group of 12 to 16 boys who hung out together. None of them in clubs or Greek or offices, but they are extremely close now, after three years, and are always there for each other. This weekend, moving in, one would knock on the door and ask about the internet or lowering a bed, and whoosh, all of them out the door, running down the hall to go to the other’s aid. You’d think he’d been in an accident or something! I spent the last couple of years really fretting about son not joining clubs, holding office, like he did in high school. It caused a lot of tension between us, my constant nagging. I’ve finally learned to back off and let him go at his own pace. I have to remember, it’s HIS college experience, not MINE.</p>

<p>My son is on a rollercoaster of emotions. One day he’s having “soooo much fun” and the next day he is feeling blue, “college isn’t what I thought it would be.” This is so normal.</p>

<p>He is getting along great with his roommates, already has a bid in a fraternity, and is meeting people, yet he still feels a little lonely and lost at times. I’m sure he’s missing his buddies and the dogs, and yes, he probably misses mom, dad, and sister. Leaving home for the first time as an adult is a HUGE step. It’s exciting, scary, intimidating, and often times overwhelming, especially for a young adult who has never been away from home. </p>

<p>My daughter went through the same thing two years ago even though her boyfriend lived in the same dorm. She adjusted and loves college life now, even though she gets slightly homesick when she goes back to school after a long break. </p>

<p>It will get better. Best of luck to all of the freshman and their parents.</p>

<p>Thanks lovemykids2. I think that my son may be going through that some. But he tells us everything is wonderful! I think he may be a little surprised at how much he actually misses us. And does not want us(me) to worry. He is getting out, but not sure if he is participating in formal activities, or some of the non-formal gatherings like ultimate frisbee and hanging out at the pool. </p>

<p>Sent from my DROID RAZR using CC</p>

<p>Kids will skip a lot of things because their roomies don’t go</p>

<p>This is unfortunate, but often happens. </p>

<p>Unfortunately, those who don’t participate in AA, OA, or WOW activities are missing out on opportunities to “break the ice” and meet new people. </p>

<p>The good thing about AA or OA is that students do show up alone. However, there can be a hesitation to show up alone to WoW activities…Maybe that needs to change. </p>

<p>I know that many pick their roomies based on Facebook contacts and such, but that doesn’t always mean that once they’re in the same suite, everyone is going to be besties and hang-out together all the time or even some of the time.</p>

<p>I would also recommend a couple of things:

• encourage your student to find out what the RA is doing. All the RAs are taking their residents to different WOW events this week, so it would be a great way to meet other students on the floor.
  • encourage your resident to join the UA Facebook group for Presidential Village. All summer, PV students have been creating intramural teams and other activities, so she may be able to hop into some of those circles easily as well.</p>

<p>Hope this helps!
Janine Gascoigne</p>

<p>Adversity teaches resiliency, a vital life skill. Is there an emotional cost involved? Yes. Everyone pays tuition when it comes to learning life’s challenging curriculum.</p>

<p>Let’s see what this picture looks like in December.</p>

<p>Roll Tide, y’all.</p>

<p>Perhaps she could become a health ambassador</p>

<p>[Apply</a> to be a Health Ambassador Today!](<a href=“http://projecthealth.ua.edu/apply-to-be-a-health-ambassador-today/]Apply”>http://projecthealth.ua.edu/apply-to-be-a-health-ambassador-today/)</p>

<p>Apply to be a Health Ambassador Today!</p>

<p>My DD did this her Freshman year and LOVED it!!! I highly recommend it.</p>

<p>Thank you for your suggestions and your well wishes. I have given my daughter all your suggestions and she has tried some of them. Unfortunately, as some have guess she has missed out on some activities because her roommates don’t want to go. I have encouraged her to go on her own so she can meet other students that are in the same boat as she is and she has promised that she will try. She tells me no to worry that she will be fine and I really want to believe her. I miss my daughter very much and I need to relax and let her grow.</p>