Financial Pre-reads, including merit + merit ED

Some colleges explicitly have scholarship estimators, such as Truman State University. Others ask for stats (GPA, rank, SAT/ACT scores) and may include line items for scholarships separate from need-based aid in the resulting estimate, such as Arizona State University.

The usual signal for the possibility of the latter is that the net price calculator asks for stats.

However, this type of thing is uncommon at colleges that are the usual targets on these forums (i.e. highly selective colleges that do not offer merit scholarships, or offer them only on a highly competitive basis rather than stats).

5 Likes

We looked at using RaiseMe, but what I found is the comparable amount showed up in merit aid anyway. The real benefit (I imagine) would be for a 9th or 10th grader to see the actual benefits of getting good grades, ECs, volunteer work, etc.

I found the NPCs to be pretty accurate, however the schools where my son would have been at the top end academically often came through with additional money beyond even their initial offer. That canā€™t necessarily be predicted. As in the case of the school that did a pre-read, we had been told there was no chance they would go below a certain amount. When we got the pre-read everyone was surprised.

1 Like

May I DM you a question about the Whitman pre-read?

Sure!

I know Iā€™ve seen some scholarship estimators on various collegesā€™ websites, though I canā€™t think of any off the top of my head. I feel as though Iā€™ve seen them more often on private schoolsā€™ websites, as the public ones will frequently have a chart that is publicly available.

Off to research Raise Me!

I saw it in an older New York Times article. I think I was googling ā€œmerit scholarships,ā€ and it popped up!

1 Like

Was that entirely merit or a mix of merit and need based?

It was entirely merit.

1 Like

Just popping in to say that we did the Whitman pre-read, and it was about 10k off the NPC. My husband owns a business, which seemed to affect some of the NPC estimates (but not all). It was valuable to know how far off the NPC might be from actual offers.

Whitmanā€™s merit aid in the pre-read was 20k; actual after acceptance was 25k.

3 Likes

NPC are generally not very accurate for self-employed people.

@skydivemom also, the main point of this thread is to discern which colleges might tell you pretty precisely what your EFC is, presumably by talking to the FA office rather than just running the NPC, or if they will offer merit aid and how much. Just to clarify.

1 Like

From my experience with the only school my daughter has gotten this far with in her recruiting process, the FA office will give you a pre-read on need-based aid and merit aid is the domain of the admissions office. Not sure if thatā€™s the way it works at all schools, but I thought that it was an interesting distinction. This is a school that accepts about 35% of applicants, only provides merit aid to about 15% of students, and isnā€™t particularly transparent about the GPA/test-score thresholds to achieve that merit.

AFAIK, financial and merit prereads are fairly standard for athletes.

1 Like

University of the Sciences in Philadelphia and the University of New Hampshire both include academic info (GPA/standardized tests), so merit aid pre-reads should be available from those.

1 Like

@dadmiws I wish it worked that way for all schools for recruited athletes. My 2023D is trying to choose between Whitman and another school. We plan on doing the pre read for Whitman in July, but the other school wonā€™t give her any pre read for merit, just says sheā€™s a likely admit. I even spoke at length to someone in admissions. We are full pay, but need merit to afford it. Im surprised the coaches want kids to commit ED to a 77k a year school without any idea of the aid they will get.

Whitman has a big advantage because if this.

3 Likes

I agree. Itā€™s fairly presumptuous for a coach to expect a commitment without any indication of merit, especially at a school with a $75-80k/yr pricetag. They want you to apply ED, but the school is leaving you in the dark on the possibility of merit? No thanks. I think most of them realize the absurdity of this scenario, but many also deal with a lot of families who can write the check without the merit aid and are willing to do so, as long as admittance is assured.

2 Likes

Just added U. of Hartford, Merrimack, U. of New Haven, and NJ Institute of Technology to the first post. And I obviously reread the first post, because I realized I could add schools in myself, so put U. of New Hampshire and University of the Sciences in it, which I had mentioned in an earlier post.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been following this thread closely. Now that we are in application season for 2023 kids, has anyone received a pre-read lately?

Wheaton college in MA did a financial preread for us

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing! It would be great if you add that info to the first post. @Lindagaf has made that first post editable for people to add more schools that they find will do this.

ETA: It also appears that my reading comprehension needs improvement, because I failed to notice the part about putting schools in alphabetical order! I went on ahead and edited the first post to clear up the list due to my previous non-alphabetical listings.

1 Like

We did a pre-read at Whitman - extremely helpful! And S23 is applying ED as a result.

5 Likes