First-Gen and Minority In Prep School Admissions

I see a lot of people (including myself) including that they are a first-generation and URM on their Chance Me’s. How much do these factors play in the admissions decision at a school? Is it somewhat like affirmative action in College Admissions?

It depends on what country, for example if your parents are (for the sake of example) from El Salvador and you are applying domestic, it can definitely help. However if your parents are from China, it won’t help and it may hurt.

This will depend on the school. Most want to have a diverse community, so if you are helping create that, it can help your odds. Many schools also maintain relationships with organizations that help students who might not ordinarily consider BS. These organizations identify good candidates, help with test prep, provide application guidance, and help make a good “fit”. Students applying through these organizations generally do very well. A student applying on their own MAY be in the same bucket as these students.

Remember also that if a student is first - gen, for example, they are likely to need a lot of FA so will be in a competitive pool for that.

So the answer is nuanced - yes, schools are looking for students to fill buckets which include URM and first gen. But they are also looking for middle class kids, legacies, athletes, artists, FP, etc. And there is an expectation that all will have what it takes to thrive.

First gen can mean different things. It can mean that you are a first generation American, or it can mean that you are the first gen in your family to attend college. An applicant could be one or both kinds of “first gen.”