Flying Solo Tips and Ideas

<p>I am reposting this here because I thought that we should start a thread that could be stickied on Tips and Ideas for Solo Flying.</p>

<p>There are many things that can be done before flying solo to make your student feel more comfortable and confident.
1.) Learn the layout of the airports they will be traveling through by accessing online airport maps -you can print maps of the gates and the concourses.
2.) When you print their boarding passes, the gates will be listed and then you can do a quick review with your student.
3.) If they have to change planes, try to schedule their flights with a slightly longer layover. This will give your student more time to find their gate, use the restroom, or get a quick bite to eat. It is also fun to have a few hours to explore an interesting airport.
4.) Travel light, I know the current advice is to have all carry on luggage so you don’t have to wait at the luggage carousel, however I do just the opposite. Why bother to carry so much aboard…Let the plane carry and transfer the luggage. Just bring a small bag on board making transfers easier.
5.) Keep a close eye on the weather forecast. Unfortunately, as we all saw last week, too many parents and students had difficulties returning to campus because of weather related issues. I start watching the weather forecasts about one week prior to flying. If serious storms are predicted, I start looking at alternate travel dates. Some airlines like Southwest will work with you about changing your flight even before cancellation.
6.) During the winter months and cold weather, I always try to schedule flights through the warmer areas of the country. For instance, if you are flying from the Northeast and switching planes, you could probably schedule a flight through Baltimore or Chicago. However, why not schedule your layover to be in Florida, Texas, or New Orleans. Yes, you will be flying a little out of the way but the price is usually comparable. This strategy has worked in our favor to minimize delays and cancelled flights.
7.) Try not to schedule the last flight of the day. If the flight is cancelled, your student will probably not get another flight till the following day.
8.) Some airlines do not cooperate with other airlines to try and find alternate flights due to cancellation; for example, Southwest Airlines.
9.) Some airlines do not compensate for delayed or cancelled flights. Others will help with food vouchers etc.
10.) This is the best piece of advice I can give your student. If something happens…Stay Calm. You will never get anywhere speaking with airline personnel if you raise your voice or get agitated. Take a deep breath, explain your situation calmly and politely and thank them for their help.
11.) if your student is of legal drinking age and gets stuck somewhere, they shouldn’t go to the bar and drink. Airline personnel will deny boarding to anyone who seems the least tipsy or drunk. Besides when you are traveling, you need your wits about you.
12.) Make sure to keep your belongings with you at all times.
13.) Don’t keep all your money and credit cards in one place. Keep some small bills in a front pocket so you don’t have to take out a wallet to purchase small items such as gum.
14.) if your student does get stuck somewhere ( missed flight, cancellation), get on the nearest line for assistance while trying the airline via phone. Sometimes you will get quicker results by calling the airline directly. If they get through, stay on the physical line till they make their flight changes.
15) Remember to pack any necessary medications in their carry-on bag. Pack a dry snack as well.
16.) Stay positive and be Flexible. They can do this with some planning ahead.</p>

<p>Good tips - saving and printing out to email to son.</p>

<p>Great post, robot. Words of wisdom for all of us to learn. Thank you so much for taking the time to offer this advice.</p>

<p>Great advice! Thank you for taking the time to post!</p>

<p>Thanks, robotbldmom! Very useful!</p>

<p>I’m going to add this the Sticky thread…</p>

<p>for prospective parents…I mentioned this before, but it bears repeating…</p>

<p>When you are flying now WITH your child, have him/her totally direct the process…getting the boarding passes, navigating the terminal, finding the trams, checking the schedule-screens, changing planes, finding the right baggage place, etc.</p>

<p>When parents fly with kids, it’s natural for the parent to leave and the child to blindly follow (with maybe their texting phone in hand), so they’re not learning. Let THEM show you where to go. </p>

<p>Allow extra time for this process…it might take them a bit longer.</p>

<p>My son, from NY, has yet to fly truly “alone” to and from Bama. There have always been other Bama students on his flights. I suspect this is true from other cities.</p>

<p>I would urge direct flights whenever economically and logistically feasible. Weather/luggage/plane problem issues tend to multiply exponentially when you have multiple legs to a trip.</p>

<p>DH is very protective and will pay a little extra if it means that our girls can fly direct.</p>

<p>Everyone…you are welcome, glad to help.</p>

<p>^^Chardo, that’s interesting. Although my son has never encountered any other UA students on his flights, he has on occasion unexpectadly run into some of his high school friends. This could be because we normally schedule unusual flight times when traveling.</p>

<p>One more helpful hint: Try to buffer your arrival/ departure time by one day. If school begins on Wednesday,like it did this semester, try not to fly in on Tuesday. Arrive on Sunday or Monday ( of course checkithe dorm schedules first) just in case there are delays or cancellations.
Your students won’t be stressing that they might miss the first day of classes. This also gives them extra time to unpack, unwind, and meet up with other like minded travelers who have returned to school early.</p>

<p>Another thing to try and do, book one way trips instead of round trip. You may look at your students schedule and think you have what days they can come home on and return, or what they told you. Things change! If your student calls and says they can come home a day or two early you may not be able to change the first leg of the flight without canceling out the return flight (second leg). Nowadays it does not matter on most airlines on the fares if it is ow or rt, it used to but not now. </p>

<p>So, book one ways and you have the flexibility to change as needed without having to worry about the rest of the reservation being canceled.</p>