Flying to College, how to pack?

For those that fly their students to school, did you bring only clothing and buy everything else there? Did you ship? Any advice? Starting to think about the logistics of all this!

4 Likes

When DH went off to college (flying), his parents used their luggage allowance to supplement his so most of the stuff they brought was all for him. 5 checked bags of his stuff, 1 checked bag between his mom&dad for the couple days they’d be out for drop off.

I believe 2-3 bags was clothing (4 seasons worth), one bag was bedding, one bag was odds and ends.

Whatever you can’t fit in checked luggage and personal bags can obviously be bought upon arrival. But you’ll probably find you’ll need less than you think.

4 Likes

If you don’t already have XL twin bedding, you might want to buy it online and have it delivered there, or picked up at a nearby branch of that store. Bedding is probably the biggest, bulkiest item. Don’t forget a good, thick XL twin mattress pad - the beds are often firm with a thick waterproof non-breathing cover, so they’ll want a good mattress pad, preferably cotton-rich, to be comfortable. If they decide that they need a better lamp, upon arrival, or any other items that they decide they cannot live without, like maybe a microwave or a mini fridge, they can be bought online and delivered to the dorm. But you’d be surprised at how little they really need, in most cases. Probably just clothing, their computer, phone, and a music speaker device, and they’ll be okay. If there’s no a/c in the dorm, they may very well need a window box fan or two upon arrival - we can have very bad heat waves in late August/early Sept, even in the northernmost parts of the country. That can be bought online and delivered, too.

Inconvenient as it may be, they can wear/carry winter coat and wear winter boots onto the plane, to make more room in the suitcase, if they’re going to school where it gets cold. Most places where it gets cold, it’s gonna get cold before Thanksgiving, so you can’t just think that they’ll come home for Thanksgiving (tickets will be wicked expensive, too) and pick up their winter coat and boots then.

3 Likes

We brought clothes and bedding. I ordered everything else for Target pickup.

1 Like

Placed an online order at a BB&B that was on the way to campus from the airport.

8 Likes

We just bought these bags from Ikea, and are planning to double bag and stuff with clothes.

Can I ask what you used the duct tape for?

1 Like

Thanks for this! Luckily, going to San Antonio so hopefully will only need a light jacket. The bedding advice is super helpful, I should probably figure out what weight of bedding she’ll need, I imagine it’s different down there. Will definitely try to order for a pick up.

Thanks!

1 Like

We did double bag and I duct taped the top of the zipper. It’s been kind of funny, my daughter usually drives back and forth with others for winter and summer breaks (she doesn’t have a car) and sometimes they sleep here for a break in driving (12 hours), her friends have nice suitcases and she has these. This time she also had a bunch of reusable Shoprite bags, keeping it classy.

2 Likes

We will be flying across the US for move-in, and these bags seem great. Luggage is fine too, but it has its own weight, limiting the amount to carry. These bags seem to be great for clothes.

Thanks for the zipper-taping idea. That makes sense.

1 Like

We used one Frakta bag for all the stuff that was still boxed with D20’s move in. Her electric kettle, some dishware, posters still in the tube they arrived in, etc - it all fit perfectly in the original packaging into the Frakta bag along with some other odds & ends and made move-in a breeze,.

Be prepared for a wide variety of packing/move in strategies on the day of move in. From matched luggage sets and “omg that’s expensive!” furniture all the way to bulging Hefty bags with clearly unfolded, crumpled up clothing. It’s a ride to see it all.

3 Likes

Do most schools have storage areas for luggage? I think my college did back in the day.

Not that I’m aware of. DH’s parents took the ‘extra’ empty luggage back with them, DH stored his two pieces under his bed, nested.

I do know a lot of students figure out how to store room stuff over the summers so they don’t need to move everything home. Some schools offer over summer storage, some students find storage facilities for over the summer on their own.

2 Likes

None of my kids’ colleges had any storage, my kids use storage units during the summer, none of mine used suitcases to save room.

4 Likes

They don’t, AFAIK. That’s why these Frakta bags seem to be a great way to ship. Once empty, they take up very little space.

1 Like

College move-in is where Bed, Bath, and Beyond will be missed. You could buy everything in your home town, and it would be all boxed up and waiting in the college town.

5 Likes

Buying the bedding online and having it shipped to the college is a real space saver - just remember to pick that box up first thing from the school’s package center so that your student can run it through the wash before needing to sleep on it that night! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

“Back in the day” I had a chest shipped (which was then my storage locker in my room), and then my Dad and I brought everything else on our flights in duffle bags; his stuff was just in a tiny carry-on and I had everything else I was bringing in 2 large duffle bags.

I flew with my kid to CA
totally across the country. We flew southwest, so we each had two checked suitcases, a carryon and a personal item.

Suitcase 1 was clothing for my kid.
Suitcase 2 had more clothing, and some personal items she wanted to take.
Suitcase 3 had linens she wanted to take from here
a quilt, sheets, towels.
Suitcase 4 had things like her hairdryer, etc.

She had a computer bag and a backpack.
I had an instrument case and a backpack.

When we got to her college town, we picked up items at BBB (which won’t be a choice anymore), but really target or Walmart would have much of what we bought. Now I’m sure many kids order from Amazon.

We made a trip to Target where we got a small TV, and all the toiletries she needed. And an under bed bin.

Went to Office Depot and got a printer, and school supplies.

The four large suitcases were ones we picked up at Goodwill
so they actually got put in the trash!

She kept her carryon, and I used mine to fly home.

It worked out fine.

1 Like

Definitely get intel on the mailroom, not all are open on move in day, and if open there will probably be crazy lines. Sometimes they are nowhere near your student’s dorm.

1 Like

Oh
one more thing. If you do fly with four suitcases
and you rent a car
make sure that the opening to the car trunk is large enough to accommodate the large suitcases. Our compact rental trunk opening was way too small
something we didn’t realize until we were picking up the car and trying to load it. No way to get the suitcases IN the trunk!

5 Likes