Food Allergy Concerns

My son has a lot of food allergies…can anyone suggest a college that caters to food allergies?

1 Like

None will “cater” but there are a variety of approaches, and what fits your situation best will vary with what foods need to be avoided. I suggest you check out the FARE college website as a start https://college.foodallergy.org Also sending PM

Some schools offer housing in a home or dorm with kitchen facilities which would enable your son to prepare his own food & use the common cafeteria for known safe foods such as a salad bar.

University of Alabama Honors housing used to–and probably still does–offer kitchens in each dorm double for honors college students. Although a full-size range/stove was not included, microwave ovens & , possibly, toaster ovens.

Some schools offer housing in homes–all students–with full kitchens.

Only recently has GWU offered a cafeteria. Prior to that all students prepared their own meals or ate restaurant fare.

Of course, your son may request permission to live off-campus in an apartment with a full kitchen.

1 Like

When our S was considering colleges for 2016, food allergy support was top of mind as he has a severe peanut allergy. We made it a point to include food allergy support in all of our research and campus tours (we would meet with college nutritionists and heads of campus dining). What we found at that time (and things may be better now), is that the level of support varied widely. Luckily many of his top choices had very good support. The college he ended up in (Stanford) had the best support of the colleges he was accepted to.

First, there is a dedicated peanut/nut free dining hall on Stanford and all the other dining halls can put together an allergen- free meal on request (web app). Other meal support include:

• Allergen free box meals for onsite/offsite activities
  • Students can ask dining staff to plate their meal in the kitchen to avoid cross contamination from the food line
  • Allergen free meal accommodation at dorm activities (weekend ski trips)
  • Allergen free snack lockers located in all dorms with key access for students with allergies

Additionally, students with food allergies could request single dorm room accommodations so that they could ensure their rooms were free of food allergens. A single ended up working well our S who hosted movie nights and poker tournaments where he could control the snacks.

The thing that made most happy was the support he received from his fellow students some who had similar allergies, but the majority who did not. They were constantly on the lookout for peanut free restaurants in the area. One student actually found a peanut free Vietnamese restaurant (the owners’ kids had peanut allergies). That restaurant became a special place for these students over 5 years.

So, my best recommendation is to do the research early based on the colleges you are considering. The levels of support vary, but I think that there are some very good schools out there with great support.

2 Likes

We waited for acceptances and then met with head of dining head and others. We found that personnel were anxious to meet with us because they wanted the kid to accept.

One thing to add: one school provided custom meals if the student called ahead.

But isn’t there a constant concern or danger of custom meals coming in contact with allergy triggering foods ?

This is why those with severe food allergies should consider making their own meals in their own kitchen. Of course, this is not easy to do, but the consequences are often life-threatening.

This is a main reason for food recalls: A food being packaged, processed, or handled in a facility that handles allergic reaction foods such as peanuts.

I found this https://college.foodallergy.org/. My daughter has celiac and met with the dietitian at her university.

1 Like

Restaurants (dorm meals) are a constant struggle for people with severe food allergies. Yes, preparing all meals yourself is the safest and could be an option. However, having allergy food services could save a lot of time. You just need to take utmost care. For instance, our S avoided almost all desserts simply because it’s so hard to finds desserts with low probability of exposure to peanuts. Creme Brulee was very popular with our S because of its simple ingredients. Cross contamination is always a concern.

1 Like

Although there is always a chance of this outing me, I am a pediatric allergist. The world has become increasingly easier to navigate for teens and young adults with food allergies. Most colleges are incredibly confident and capable of accommodating students with food allergies unless their allergies are unusual and multiple. I have patients with allergies that range from just peanut to all of the highly allergenic foods to several unusual foods that are doing well at colleges that are both large and small. They meet with food service and speak to everyone involved. Young people of college age now are the most food allergic that have been seen, possibly due to interventions that we did when they were infants and young children. But this has led to a society that has acknowledged their allergies and allowed them to lead a fairly normal life.

2 Likes

But food service employees can & do change frequently. (Food service handlers are low paid.)

My wife has a severe food allergy to one food. I prepare all meals. I read every ingredient label to avoid the offending food (a fruit). I clean the kitchen & all utensils constantly & immediately. I never allow utensils or plates to come into contact with other foods. This type of vigilance is too much to expect of food service workers even though these are necessary precautions.

Most schools have someone who is specifically responsible for assuring that foods are free of allergens and clearly marked. I have had many experiences of people having reactions when they dont ask or dont check, it is very rare that my patients reaction at college.

I have a kid with celiac and type 1 diabetes (who has to carb count to match insulin dose, precisely) and one kid with anaphylaxis tp crustaceans (It was surprising how many soups and sauces have shrimp). We met with head of dining services and another administrator, but only after acceptances. There was a lot of attention to detail, and also some responsibility for the students (looking up ingredients in one case, calling ahead, and so on).

It is true that food service workers are not paid a lot, but my kids seemed to know them well and they did not change very often. Dining halls were an important part of social life. Cookng at home could be hazardous with roommates who forgot to use the right pans etc.

I do not think school choices should be based on this as a priority factor honestly. There should be a way to accommodate and schools are very aware of this issue. Register with the Office of Disabilities as well.

For one with food allergies & living with roommates, separate cooking utensils would be wise.

Obviously, but mistakes happen.

I understand that mistakes happen. That is why I would prefer a private kitchen over a common cafeteria. Seems like the more control one has over an environment, that mistakes could be minimized.

I saw one very serious episode of a food allergy reaction and never want to see or experience that again. Was within minutes of being fatal so precautions even as extreme as locking cabinets & doors would seem a reasonable precaution to me.

FWIW: I wish that food labels would require a print much larger than what is now common.

It’s important to build a plan to help him manage his condition. Here are some steps you can take to build a plan for your son:

Consult with a doctor: Your son's doctor should be the first point of contact in managing his food allergies. They can provide guidance on what foods to avoid, how to recognize and manage an allergic reaction, and whether he needs to carry an epinephrine auto-injector.

Educate yourself and your son: Learn as much as you can about your son's specific allergies, including how to recognize and manage an allergic reaction, what to do in an emergency, and how to read food labels.

Plan for meals and snacks: Work with a registered dietitian to plan meals and snacks that are safe for your son to eat and that meet his nutritional needs.

Communicate with others: Make sure that your son's teachers, caregivers, and anyone else who may be involved in his care are aware of his allergies and know what to do in an emergency.

Carry an epinephrine auto-injector: If your son's doctor recommends it, make sure he always has an epinephrine auto-injector with him in case of an allergic reaction.

Stay vigilant: Even with a plan in place, it's important to remain vigilant and aware of potential allergens in your son's environment, including at school, restaurants, and when traveling.

Remember, the most important thing is to work closely with your son’s doctor to ensure his safety and well-being.