Foote Fellowship/AP Credits: Car on Campus?

<p>I read online that the UMiami policy for student parking is that first year students aren't allowed to park on campus. Is this set in stone, or is there a way to be able to get a parking permit as a first year if you're coming in as a Foote Fellow or with a bunch of AP Credits?</p>

<p>I’ve never heard of an exception being made but you can call Parking and Transportation to ask. You can also park your car in the Metro Rail parking lot across the road for around $100/6 months. Just don’t let anyone important find out.</p>

<p>Anyone important meaning…</p>

<p>Oh I don’t know I don’t think anyone would actually care. That was kind of a joke. But I’ve been told that not only are freshman not allowed to have cars on campus, but they can’t have them off campus, either. I don’t know how they’d find out unless you were crashing through the doors of President Shalala’s house shouting that you are so happy to have a car as a freshman. And I’ve never actually heard of anyone having a car off campus as a freshman. But I’m sure people do it.</p>

<p>AP and Foote Fellow status have nothing to do with getting a parking permit.</p>

<p>Freshman living on campus (vs commuting form parents home) are not allowed to have cars as far as I know. Parking on campus is limited so this rule is a good one. Why do you believe you need a car??</p>

<p>I don’t NEED a car per se, it would just be nice to have instead of having to rely on friends or public transportation.</p>

<p>Being a Foote Fellow or having AP credits does not allow you to get a car freshman year. There are places to park a car as a freshman off campus but that would then require getting to your car to go anywhere. Honestly, using the zipcar service on campus is very convenient for getting groceries or going out.</p>