For Students Looking for Schools Like Brown

She titled her article “For Students Looking for Schools Like Brown”, but provided a list of schools “For Students Looking For Schools that Offer a Flexible Curriculum and Collaborative environment like Brown”.

She leaves the reader with the false sense that the defining characteristic of both schools are their (less different then most) curriculum approaches. While CMU offers some interesting programs and some flexibility that is the extent of the basis for her suggestion that CMU is a school like Brown.

So I ask you based upon her piece why would a student looking for a school like Brown be a fit at CMU?

Seem to me to be very different types of students, with very different academic interests and backgrounds but yes they both don’t have extremely rigid curriculum (although their approach is different).

Both great schools with passionate students but not sure “I like Brown” translates to “I will be happy at CMU”. Amherst, Wesleyan, Vassar, etc seem to have a lot more in common beyond curriculum.

2 Likes

I guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree on this one. She didn’t at all leave me with “a false sense that the defining characteristic are their . . . curriculum approaches.” I can only imagine someone getting that impression if s/he looked JUST at the title of the post and didn’t actually read what it says.

I realize that to understand her point, it requires that the reader thinks a little outside the box. That’s okay by me. The excerpt about CMU was not written as a stand-alone article. There was a context. It was provided as one offering on a list of schools, each with a thumbnail description and each similar to Brown in different ways. It’s not like it was the only school suggested, nor was it offered within the context of “If you’re desperate to get into Brown but need a Plan B, run to CMU.” I see it more as if a student wants/needs alternatives to Brown, ““Here’s a list of schools for you to consider. CMU is just one of 8 on that list.

I have no problem with her including CMU as 1 of 8 schools on a list of suggestions. For the right kid, it just might hit the mark. It provides a promising option that a lot of kids might not have thought of. That’s all it is. And that’s a good thing.

1 Like

Thanks Bill and I respect your views and agree about there being some broader context when the article is read in its entirety.

Rather then agreeing to disagree I would much rather be persuaded and learn. What other defining characteristics (besides curriculum) did the author highlight that CMU and Brown have in common and why would an aspiring Brown student per the article find CMU to “fit”?

Ultimately that is the info that readers of this thread will be seeking.

2 Likes

Unless the author chooses to post, the individual reader is left to their own interpretations. And that’s fine. But let’s not use this thread to beat a dead horse. Nobody’s mind is ever changed here, so please move the conversation forward.

It’s interesting that the Princeton Review describes students at CMU in some very similar ways to your description of students at Brown, in some cases using identical words to describe them.Curious coincidence:

“At Carnegie Mellon, ‘everybody is quirky in an endearing way.’ Basically, ‘there really isn’t a norm, except for the fact that you can be yourself.’ The mix of student interests and majors provides a curious but totally harmonious balance at every turn: ‘There are engineering students who can belt out any song from a musical and art students who are great at tennis. CMU students are diverse and unique and still able to come together to . . . create an environment where success is encouraged without risk of judgment.’ ‘We’re all weird in our own way - we’re either a scientist or an artist so we can seem a strange bunch . . . eventually the labels scientist or artist fade, and you become friends with people from all over campus,’ says a student. Students ‘love their work and work hard, but also tend to be very involved in side projects, whether it be playing quidditch or creating a startup.’ Basically Carnegie Mellon is made up of ‘an incredibly diverse bunch of nerds - in the best ways possible”; they’re all ‘insanely driven’ and ‘all have hidden talents’.”

The quotes embedded in this paragraph are from CMU students in response to Princeton Review students surveys.

Thank you for your kind and collaborative response.

4 Likes

Thank you, very helpful and compelling. I appreciate your sharing as CMU is a school my kids had not considered.

3 Likes

When viewed at some elevated level, two colleges are almost always more similar than they’re different. However, what really defines Brown is that it’s an Ivy with an open curriculum. Everything else is secondary.

For sure. I just meant that of the schools on the list, at least on the surface, it would not have ever occurred to me to compare these two schools.

As to her observations about how they are similar, I’ll say that it wasn’t overwhelmingly convincing. I don’t disagree with it; but “inter-disciplinary” feels like too broad a point to single out and carry the bulk of the load to make similar what otherwise seems on the surface to be two very dissimilar schools. That said, I don’t have close experience with CMU. But when I think of it, I think STEM, comp. sci and business, although I’m aware that their offerings are more comprehensive than that.

2 Likes

Interesting. When I think of CMU, I think Engineering and Theater. Maybe it’s because the daughter of a friend of mine was a Theater major there. But objectively speaking, CMU’s College of Fine Arts has one of the top Drama Schools in the country. Very renowned and highly selective.

BTW, before reading this blog post, it would not ever have occurred to me either to have compared these two schools. Maybe it’s because I highly respect the author of the blog that I was willing to get past my initial surprise that CMU was included and dig deeper.

1 Like

Not disputing that this is the widely held perception. In fact it is regrettably spot on for many that apply.

For those applying to Brown your applications will have to convey far greater nuance, specificity and insight throughout your applications. To be successful you will have to convey what makes you unique and why Brown in total (inclusive of OC) is specifically capable of helping you reach your goals and have a positive impact both at Brown and beyond. Lookup specific programs, facilities, the City of Providence or reach out to alum, etc. Anything to show you “really” know “why Brown” not just the common and easy answer.

Pretty well established that every year there is a big pile of applications from kids who “always wanted an Ivy and the OC at Brown will give them a chance to find their academic niche”. You want to be in the small pile😀

2 Likes

This CMU vs. Brown discussion is funny. Decades ago my H applied to 3 schools-CMU, Brown, Yale. Got into all of them. Ended up at CMU! He felt it was the best fit for engineering.

3 Likes

What was his experience at CMU back in the Stone Age? :sunglasses:

Interesting. And I knew him back then as we’ve been together since we were 19. He played basketball there so he had athletic friends but also friends that he met in the dorm. His roommates when he moved off campus were an eclectic bunch-physics , business type guys with a scenic design type guy also in the mix. It was okay for him but he thinks he might have had more fun at Pitt or Penn State ! (which he was instate for). He’s a pretty social, athletic guy, despite the engineering nerd stereotype. Having said that, a couple of his roommates were pretty quirky( the physics guy and guy that went into CS). But, no regrets and he still likes driving through the campus if we’re in the area. It is a school though where fit is probably very important.

1 Like

Just wondering if retrospectively does he think of Brown as a similar fit student wise?

I am embarrassed at how unaware I was of such a top school. Admittedly didn’t even know about the theater program.

1 Like

Don’t know for sure. Probably not. He had top grades and scores in high school plus athletic interest from schools. And parents that were willing and able to pay for private schools, back when they were cheaper!

CMU has one of the best, if not the best, undergraduate drama programs in the country, with alum, including Leslie Odom Jr., Billy Porter, Holly Hunter, winning Academy Awards, over 50 Tonys and 100 Emmys.

3 Likes

I was unaware! Not surprising given my level of sophistication. I am more of a truck pull and hair band guy versus theater😀

2 Likes

CMU drama alum truly an embarrassment of riches: List of Carnegie Mellon University people - Wikipedia

Two CMU and Magic Mike alum who may be a surprise to some :grinning:

And in all seriousness, pointing out that, aside from perhaps CMU drama, CMU quirky is NOT the same as Brown quirky. At all. The typical student and vibe at each school are not similar IME.

3 Likes

Joe Manganiello is from Pittsburgh (Mt. Lebanon actually) so I knew that and not surprised. Matt Bomer I forgot about. But, lots of actors , directors , set designers, musical theater people, etc. from all over the country have gone to CMU. H’s former roommate is a set designer , art director type person that has worked in film and television for years.

I agree that in general the overall vibe at Brown and CMU would not be similar.

2 Likes

CMU and Brown aren’t similar, and hopefully the people behind this don’t try to make them similar either.