Fraternity with a good strong GPA

Hi…My son will be a freshman this fall and he really isn’t that interested in a fraternity but was curious if anyone knew of a fraternity with a high GPA but still fun to be in.

This link will take you to lists of all the Greek groups’ grades for the past 16 fall and spring semesters. I can’t attest as to which fraternities are fun, since fun is where you find it. But this gives average GPAs. Remember that ALL groups will have at least some top student scholars, and all groups will have some students who, um, have other priorities.

thanks what was the link?

https://ofsl.sa.ua.edu/resources/reports/

I’m not going to name names, but one of the fraternities with high grades has a national organization that pulls charters at the drop of a hat. When my son rushed I told him to pledge anywhere but there.

DS ended up in a fraternity with terrible grades, but he made a four-point last semester.

There are a few fraternities and sororities that are consistently at the top of the GPA list, however, there are others that can vary from semester to semester. My son joined one this past fall and he utilized the spring GPA numbers and the fall grades came in and the fraternity dropped quite far. I think the pledging can take a toll on the GPA. Keep in mind that poor grades can happen to the smartest students. College is an adjustment.

DS was originally planning to rush fraternities once he got down to UA, with an eye on Spring 2018 for pledging. His main concern going in was academic workload and other commitments. After his Bama Bound, and in talking with current fraternity members in some of the higher GPA fraternities, he has now decided he wants to Rush for Fall 2018. Being OOS, this has put him in a bit of a pickle as he missed the opportunity to visit with fraternities during BamaBound, as many of his friends are doing successfully. He is working on a trip down this summer before school starts. If anyone can advise us on the following, we would appreciate it.

1. How important would it be to get down there in July for Rush Activities, versus doing this once school starts? He believes it is important from talking with his peers.
  2. I read somewhere on this forum that Fraternities issues bids in Spring/Summer, and then sort it out during Pledging. If someone can elaborate on what this means that would be great.

Thank you in advance.

1. The earlier the better. By August some fraternities have taken as many as they’re going to take.
  2. That means they give pins to anyone who seems likely. If it turns out they don’t like the kid, they’ll let him go later before initiation.
  3. You didn’t ask, but some of the fraternities haze quite harshly. The ones that do believe it builds brotherhood. If he opens his ears and listens carefully, it’s pretty evident which ones do. Some don’t. Some do a little but nothing to the degree of others. Think ice blocks and cherries. I think all have pledges do cleaning chores. I wonder if one of the hazing groups had an entire pledge class band together and refuse to be hazed, would their world keep turning? But it hasn’t happened.
    The fraterntiy world is far, far different from sororities, where the vote to issue a bid is virtually the same as the vote to initiate.

Southlander, thank you very much, this is super helpful.