Fully vaccinated - How or Will Your COVID Routine Change?

I’m just noticing things getting back to normal. I had a clogged pipe this week & called a plumber (who is a local guy around my age). He arrived wearing a mask, but he had been vaccinated around the same time I was, so we’re both in the clear. I asked if he would like me to put on a mask and he said it wasn’t necessary. It was about a 2 hour job and we also chatted, and I honestly didn’t notice whether he kept his mask on or not, and it was just nice to sit in my house and not feel at all uneasy or worried.

I think that before the vaccination that much of my anxiety was probably overblown, in hindsight (for awhile I was essentially baking my magazines because I had read that dry heat killed the virus, so I’d stick the magazines in the oven at the lowest “warm” setting for half an hour before reading them). And whenever I was out of my house I had some sort of inner-radar setting off alarms every time I saw someone who wasn’t wearing their mask to properly cover their face - I tried going on a socially distanced outdoor walk with some friends, but some of them kept pulling down their masks to talk and I felt like my head would explode.

So now it is just… normal again. I go out, I do what I have to do, I wear the mask in places that want me to wear the mask, but I don’t stress about others or compulsively launder the masks or worry about how I am handling them when I put them on & remove them any more.

4 Likes

My poor daughter who has been fully vaccinated for a while now, is suffering panic attacks whenever she ends up in a crowd (if a store gets too crowded - stuff like that). Hard making the adjustment after not being able to be with anybody for such a long time. She lives alone and hasn’t really even been with her friends for a year now. She just wants her independent life back. Her friends will be getting vaccinated soon and that will open up her world again. Plus lots of the stuff she enjoys outside should be happening again soon.

2 Likes

I empathize with your daughter as I too am an anxious person who has found it difficult to readjust to sharing space with people outside of my pod. Honestly, there is no hurry to rush back into the world. It will get better/easier for all of us.

She and her friends have not been able to do outdoor distanced activities?

They live in a city and none of them have wanted to take public transportation and she doesn’t have a car. All of her friends have been very serious about following the rules about social distancing etc. Normally, being a quick subway ride away is not a problem and they would be together every weekend, but they are not within a reasonable walking distance.

Over the year, a few times when the weather was good, they have gotten together by somebody driving them to a park or by meeting outside halfway between where they live.

I’m starting to notice fewer people wearing masks in our local grocery stores just south of San Francisco. It’s gone from 100% masked to about 95% masked now.

I love your post! We’ve been right there with you.

Most of our state businesses including grocery stores require 100% masking and people are complying. There are more people at restaurants, including indoor dining these days. Some of my relatives have been among them and telling us about great deals and meals.

Simba, when do you think the healthy. 30year olds, south of SF, may be eligible?

The state has announced everyone 16 years and older will be eligible on April 15.

1 Like

I’m learning that it’s going to be an adjustment for sure, being fully vaccinated. My husband can’t wait to get back to as normal as allowed the second he’s fully protected. My daughters and are more cautious. I definitely won’t be ditching the masks anytime soon, even if it’s allowed, and I have zero desire for high risk things like going to the movie theater or eating inside a restaurant. I’m looking forward to grocery shopping in person again- all those tips for delivery have been killer on the budget over the last year. My younger daughter doesn’t really want anything to change back, really- she likes the low pressure to go anywhere and do anything that she doesn’t feel like doing. I think her only change might be to visit the library for the first time in a year. My older daughter wants to get a tattoo and go clothes shopping, but most of all hug her friends.

Sister’s entire family (5 people) all had COVID but feels no need to be vaccinated. Need to convince them that the science says not everyone who gets the disease becomes immune. Even though we’ll both be fully vaccinated by the end of the month, do not want to infect them because of their ignorance.

1 Like

There is no doubt that the pandemic was a terrible trauma to us all, and as it started and endured, there was a constellation of reactions to all of us, tailoring themselves to individual personalities. As it finally diminishes, it makes perfect sense that even if suddenly there were no risk at all, people won’t go back to “normal,” turning on a dime. It will take a while to integrate what we know about the science to influence our feelings and behavior.

8 Likes

@bookworm And everyone I know in our area (mid-Peninsula) who was in the 50-64 range and became eligible on Thursday was able to find an appointment within the next few days, albeit with a bit of effort (like staying up until midnight for new slots to be opened up). I expect the same will be true after April 15.

At the moment, CVS seems the best bet, with MyTurn (mass vaccination) appointments getting snapped up way too quickly and Safeway and Walgreens having far fewer doses available.

3 Likes

Does anyone feel the need to tell service people that they are fully vaccinated?? The alarm guy came to our house to find and replace a bad sensor. He was masked, as were we, and we stayed apart, but I felt the need to say we are a fully vaccinated household. I don’t know if it makes the person feel better or not…

They sell “fully vaccinated” pins all over the internet, and probably there are door signs as well. Now that we’ve started dining out (outdoors only), we do mention it to the wait staff. They usually respond with their status. Maybe it will become a new greeting - holding up “v’s” on both hands. :v: :v:

3 Likes

My day is almost here! Haircut, gym, visit kid number two.

5 Likes

This week I had my first cut and color in 13 months and next week I am going to meet my new grandson! I don’t feel the urge to go back to indoor dining yet but we may begin to make the transition from takeout to outdoor dining. I left my old fitness facility when I was uncomfortable with their attitude and handling of COVID precautions. One of the trainers also left and holds classes and training sessions outdoors under a pavillion at a small independent gym. We have been outside for the last 12 months and I love it. I can’t imagine going back indoors at this point.

4 Likes

My relatives have started having dinners with friends. The relatives are fully vaccinated but some of their friends aren’t. They’re in their 30s and both doctors—I’m disappointed but not surprised.

Some other relatives are dining in restaurants—some of their family are fully vaccinated while there aren’t. They say “they feel safe” and “good social distancing,” but we’ve been to those places and have never felt their air filtration was exceptional.

It’s interesting how most on this forum are and what happens in my non internet life.

Yesterday was a beautiful day here in Michigan. Our golf course opened on Friday and a group decided to go out yesterday. I’ve talked to our neighbors over the winter and knew that the seniors here were able to schedule their vaccinations. My husband and I had our 2nd shot the week before. It’s outside, nice breeze, we played with the same people all last summer. All in all a pretty safe outing. I knew that of the 4 other people playing that 3 for sure had been vaccinated. I wasn’t sure about the 4th.

That player had just come back from Florida where many of our neighbors go for the winter. (Sound like I live in a retirement community lol). I ask, were you able to get your vaccine in Florida?

No, the line was too long. They’ve been back 2 weeks. Going to wait for their doctor to call and they want the J&J. No real hurry and going to wait for someone to call them.

There are going to be those who proactively register and call and look for a vaccine. There are plenty others who aren’t going to worry and if someone calls them, then probably?

It was a real shake my head moment. My husband said that at some point we aren’t going to worry about those who aren’t vaccinated.

3 Likes