Fully vaccinated - How or Will Your COVID Routine Change?

Better to be safe than infecting the baby. Seems such a simple thing. Sorry your family doesn’t understand

1 Like

No more Clorox wipes! Hated that thing. Toxic and wasteful. I will use up my stash of wipes to clean bathrooms.

I know of a family that got sick with the virus. The entire family, the kids with their spouses and kids, total of over 30, I think. The only one not infected? Two year old grand kid! Not saying you should expose the baby. Just saying sometimes two opposing stands can both be right. They are wrong if they judge you for your choice and vice versa IMO. I am also wrong for judging people because they judge. No win. I will be so glad when we stop trying to impose on others what “we” think others should do.

Although the detailed surveillance data (https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/986380/Variants_of_Concern_VOC_Technical_Briefing_11_England.pdf) suggests that it is not yet clearly more transmissible than the existing strain in the U.K., and there’s no evidence that it is more deadly or evades the vaccine. So the advice for fully vaccinated people is unlikely to be affected.

From an article in the Times:

“Table six records the “attack rate” of each variant — the proportion of people who meet an infected case and go on to get it themselves. It divides this into two columns: cases who have travelled and cases who have not.

For those advising caution, the first column is the one that is concerning.

It shows that among those cases who have travelled — most likely bringing it in from India — the variant manages to find a foothold in about 50 per cent more of their contacts compared with the Kent variant…

But next to this column there is another. It shows the attack rate among people who haven’t travelled. Weirdly, here there is almost no difference at all between the Kent variant and the new Indian variant.

How can this be? It may be simply a reflection that the data is still uncertain, still being collected. It may be an artefact of how it is collected — of all this extra surge testing that adds to the statistical noise. But it could mean something else.

When the variant arrived, it found its way in through travellers from India. Many come back to multigeneration households in regions that have traditionally seen high spread — with people working in industries where they can’t work from home…

There is much that remains uncertain. But here there is a hint that when the variant leaves these communities, it finds it harder to spread. It is the first hopeful hint that much of the variant’s advantage has not been virological but sociological.

Thanks to yesterday’s announcement, I’ll only wear a mask when required.

Trust the science.

I don’t mind wearing a mask. This is one of the first years of my life I haven’t had at least one or more severe colds/respiratory viruses.

7 Likes

Well hopefully we will all be well. We just checked into our hotel after going to Busch Gardens. I LOVE rollercoasters and with the kids getting older and more independent, I’m not sure how many more times we will be able to go. H can’t ride many rides, though he did pretty well today. And by the time I have grandkids old enough, I’ll probably be too rickety. So I just soaked it all in today. The capacity restrictions were due to all be lifted tomorrow. It’s never that crowded in May anyway. Judging from the parking lot, I’d say it was 25% full. Lines weren’t long, but they were really slow loading and unloading cars. I can tell they don’t have enough workers. Lots of things were shut down, and judging from the skeleton crew, I’d guess it was due to staffing vs covid. Almost all the coasters were open and that’s my priority anyway. I even sprung for the digital picture pass this year as it might be the last time. And masks were still required everywhere except eating. I’m sure that will change shortly too. I am glad we went today. The weather was also picture perfect

8 Likes

Went to a visitation at a funeral home today. About 100 people present, “Masks Required” signs at the door. Husband and I were among the 8 wearing masks. Irony is that my bereaved friend is so hard of hearing that I had to take off my mask to talk to her. (She wasn’t masked).

Totally agree with @oldfort . Honestly, wearing a mask has not been a huge issue for me. And I have a huge wardrobe of masks!

I feel comfortable outdoors not masked…and indoors with folks who I know have been vaccinated.

At my volunteer place, we won’t be required to wear masks after next Wednesday. When I am in the back room with those vaccinated (everyone there is fully vaccinated), I won’t wear a mask…there are only three of us. But if I need to go where the public is…I will continue to wear a mask.

I will not be wearing a mask if at all possible. I already don’t wear one outside and I never have. I will have my mask with me when I go inside stores or in restaurants until seated then it comes off. When I’m shopping, I don’t go near people, I never have. If I see someone without a mask, I don’t get upset or angry, I just turn and walk the other way. It’s not that difficult. I pull the mask up at the check out or if anyone gets too near.

I’m not afraid to go out to eat indoors or outdoors. I will associate with all friends and family whether vaccinated or not. I am fully vaccinated and the science is saying there is a very small chance of me getting it or passing it on. Those that I know who have chosen not to get vaccinated at this time know the risks they’ve chosen.
If I happen to be in the very small percentage that gets a break through case then the science is saying it will be mild and I will not be hospitalized. If I end up hospitalized the science is saying there is practically no chance of ending up on a ventilator and an even smaller if not 0 chance of dying. If I die, well then, the vaccination didn’t work.

1 Like

Starting a week from Monday in Maine, basically all restrictions are lifted if you’re vaccinated. I am so excited! I do feel for businesses, though, because the governor is offering no guidance on whether they are required to check that customers are vaccinated. Ugh.

4 Likes

When did Maine reach easy availability of vaccines? If it reached easy availability of vaccines by late March or early April, then it is likely that almost* all of the remaining unvaccinated adults are those who are voluntarily unvaccinated (and therefore do not mind playing COVID-19 lottery).

*Other than those medically unable to get vaccinated, for whom life is likely to get a lot harder if they want to avoid COVID-19.

Wrong thread.

Our neighborhood cvs is doing their max of about 100 walk-in covid shots/day. People seem quite happy to get betting shots and everyone was following state mask mandates, 100% correctly wearing masks in CVS, Whole Foods and Local General Store I went to today. I’m glad. This gives those who have just qualified to vaccine (12-15 year olds) and those who have delayed for any reason time to get fully vaxed.

Our state has >70% with at least 1 shot and a high % fully vaxed. I’m glad people in our state are following our Gov. So many know young kids or others who can’t get vaxed and everyone wearing masks keeps it safer while we build to herd immunity, which I believe HI may achieve.

5 Likes

This weekend I’ve been in a huge thrift store, a hardware store, Half Price Books and Target. Mask wearing appeared to be 100%. Target and the thrift store had signs indicating face coverings were required but Half Price Books had a sign indicating that mask wearing was optional for those vaccinated. Nevertheless, everyone was masked.

2 Likes

Our youngest (13) will be fully vax’d a few days before Father’s Day. We are surprising DH with breakfast AT our favorite place to eat (that survived), Carolina Coffee Shop. Can’t wait!! The rest of us are all completely vaccinated, but we still haven’t eaten at a restaurant since everything shut down.

4 Likes

Yum, Carolina Coffee Shop; it’s been years!

My cousin’s daughter turns 12 on Thursday and has her first vaccine scheduled for Friday. She leaves for camp a week after her second.

3 Likes

My daughter, who lives alone and hasn’t seen most of her friends in person more than once or twice in the last year, has this problem. Three different friends want to come visit her this weekend and she needs to figure out how to schedule them all. She moved and she can finally show off her new apartment. Wow, her life is completely changed. I couldn’t be happier for her!

6 Likes

Thinking about this, I think it may be up to the unvaccinated person to tell me the vaccinated person to wear a mask. The reality is though that unless I am sure we are all vaccinated, I’ll just wear a mask indoors. I met a client today outside, we were both vaccinated, but her under two year old is not, so we both wore masks. It’s no biggie for me. Saturday I went to a winetasting party with three other couples. We were outside, but all around one round table. We didn’t wear masks and I felt safe.

3 Likes

Seems that in any gathering, a vaccinated and an unvaccinated person are not really much of a COVID-19 threat to each other. However, if there are unvaccinated people from different households, they could be COVID-19 threats to each other.

In a situation where people know each other and trust each other about vaccination status (e.g. family gatherings), then it could be a matter of ensuring that unvaccinated people from different households maintain social distancing from each other, stay outside, wear masks if inside or unable to maintain distance outside, etc…

In a situation where such knowledge and trust cannot be assumed (e.g. retail store or other area where the general public enters and can get crowded), then it may be polite to continue to practice COVID-19 manners (social distancing, masks, etc.) until everyone in your area has had a chance to get fully vaccinated (about six weeks from easy vaccine availability if they are on the Moderna (slowest) timeline). There will, of course, still be voluntarily unvaccinated people after then, but they can be allowed to play COVID-19 lottery with themselves after then without others having to accommodate them.

Well tonight I had a rehearsal for a bell choir I play in at church. It was seven people, plus director and pianist, in a church sanctuary. We separated out (at least 5 feet apart per individual bell station). I initially wore a mask for manners’ sake but I have to wear glasses to read the music and it was hot today in the sanctuary (a/c has not yet kicked in for the season and it was close to 80). I was fogging up. The director (who is a music teacher in a public school and fully vaccinated) took his mask off. I took my mask off because it was onerous. I’m no threat to anyone. I’ve been fully vaccinated since March 1. I know these people and they know me. This is all very highly context dependent.

3 Likes