Fully vaccinated - How or Will Your COVID Routine Change?

How? Mask-required or mask-polite situations are not actually that many these days (certainly less so than before vaccines). I do not actually wear masks most of the time.

But I ended up with a surplus box of surgical-mask-material masks (which I had used sparingly before, using washable cloth masks most of the time), some cloth masks, and some KF94 masks (given to me by an elderly person after they got vaccinated since they had more of a stockpile than they needed). Based on what I have, there seem to be more and less optimal ways of choosing which mask to use when masks are required.

Most people who think they own an N95 absolutely do not.

3 Likes

Took a mini vacation with my daughter to a large Midwest city a couple hours from home. This will be the marking point of REALLY feeling the benefits of “fully vaccinated” and putting COVID largely aside. NOWHERE did they require masks for the vaccinated. Not at restaurants, not at stores, not at a museum. Ate inside for the first time and it felt very normal but wasn’t like a “FINALLY” moment - as I’ve said before eating out is nice but not an important or frequent thing for me to do. Some of the wait staff or store staff was masked. Many not.

One thing I think should be here to stay is the plexiglass at registers - all that public contact, give the register staff a break from all the germs they are exposed to!

8 Likes

I’m about to head out to go inside a Walmart for only the 2nd time since ditching the masks. Honestly, I’m not sure that’s a plus… but there are some things I like that they sell like Bigelow’s Coconut Almond Bark tea and the Great Value equivalent to Honey Bunches of Oats w/Almonds cereal (whole family feels their flavor beats the name brand). My local grocery store carries neither. I’m even less fond of ordering online than grocery shopping in person, so I’m about to get off my duff and head into town. Life is indeed returning to normal for me, for both the fun stuff and the more mundane stuff.

I like the fun stuff better… currently plotting a quick trip north to see the grandkitties as soon as my last mare foals - hopefully by next week sometime.

1 Like

I rented a car (expensive but not too awful) and drove to the Boston area to see family for the first time since Jewish holidays 2019. It was so nice to see everyone! On the way home I did some shopping in Milford, CT (Costco, Trader Joe’s). The cashier at TJ didn’t wear a mask. I guess she’s vaccinated. It was lovely to get away and see everyone. My 80-year-old aunt is very, very active, drives well even in the dark, plays her cello right now just with a quartet that rotates among members’ homes but eagerly awaiting the reopening of the two community orchestras where she plays. But she looks much older and frailer post-pandemic than the last time I saw her. I guess I do too and I am a mere 73!

3 Likes

I was at a group meeting last weekend. One person there said “it’s so nice that this Covid pandemic has ended”.

Not sure whether her sources are “off” or if she was trying to be optimistic.

1 Like

I think that is the attitude many have or they have convinced themselves it’s “over”.
That’s a hard pill for people with ill family
Members or people in health care to hear. Cause they know it’s not over!

2 Likes

When I was in Walmart yesterday they periodically ran taped announcements offering the vaccines to anyone 12+. The announcement said something to the effect of “help us end the pandemic.” Once when this was on I was walking next to an older couple - he scoffed and muttered, “I wish they would stop playing that nonsense.”

At least now we see significant progress toward having it “over,” but I live among some who don’t believe it was ever a “thing” to begin with. No one in my immediate family feels that way, but letters to the editor in our local paper along with columns from local politicians coupled with the county vax rates (2 counties involved) speak volumes.

“Fortunately” for me, I’ve learned to stop people I know from spewing their thoughts in person. I do this by saying, “My uncle died from it and my son was a long hauler for a year until he got his Moderna shot - I just hope his symptoms stay gone.” Then they’ll say, “Oh I’m sorry,” and be quiet or change the subject. Lately no one has brought it up so either I’ve talked with “everyone” or word has gotten around.

5 Likes

I work in an allergy clinic, so besides patients being seen by the doctors, we can have 90 patients each day coming in for their allergy injections. Many do not come alone; if a child receiving an injection, there may be a parent or two and a couple of siblings along. Over the past 2-4 weeks, patients have been coming in without a mask, even though there are signs all over the building and our office. Many patients will state they don’t have a mask, not even in their car to put on. We have been giving out mask, but have run out and the company may not order more for us.

Many of these patients come weekly, so know mask are required. The injection nurse yesterday told a patient they could go down the street to the gas station and purchase a mask as we had none to provide :open_mouth: I don’t know the right answer, but I do feel the patient should take responsibility; we can’t provide mask all day for the same patients because they don’t want to be bothered. We have immunocompromised patients and children in our practice that can not receive the vaccine, so we are going to continue with the mask for a good while.

5 Likes

That has to be really frustrating. I agree with the decision to send those without masks back home or to a store to get one. It’s probably the only way to get them to change their behavior. Otherwise they’ll continue to assume they don’t need one or your company will provide them.

I learned long ago that signs are absolutely worthless for those who don’t want to follow them.

4 Likes

Many places I go to still have boxes of the medical disposable masks at the door. I guess your place doesnt want to buy any more? it seems simple to keep them there still for a bit longer. If I was working there I would even offer to buy them .

1 Like

My Derm office calls the day before to remind you of your appointment and they say each time even if you are vaccinated masks are required. Which is the rule right now in CA for health care facilities.

They need a lot of masks per day, it sounds like. The medical practices around here just won’t let you in the door without a mask if that is their policy.

1 Like

@thumper1 You are correct; the same patients are receiving a mask from us because they can’t be bother to have one in their car. Of course, if someone is new to the office I can understand, but when the same patient comes weekly and ask for a mask each time, that I can not agree to.

Prior to the CDC stating vaccinated people didn’t need to wear a mask, patient would come in with a mask. Of course the CDC also stated mask make be required in building such as a medical office, but some patient are using the statement to mean they do not need a mask, including unvaccinated patients.

If we turned patients away without mask, you can rest assure they will remember one the next time! As their allergy shots are not by appointment, they are welcome to leave and come back once they have a mask. While I am aware most medical offices provide mask, and we did up until yesterday, it is not something patients should expect of us.

4 Likes

Do you think that someone’s kid will buy some masks and set up a stand in the parking lot selling them for 200% markup or so?

2 Likes

When masks were mandatory, our favorite local Thai place had a sign “Mask required to enter. Mask available - 50 cent.” :slight_smile: They would add it to your bill. Protest much? No food. :slight_smile:

Charge a buck (in addition to the shot) for every mask provided, and there will be compliance. :wink:

5 Likes

Yes, have some available to buy or they can return home. Kids are not vaccinated (under 12) so they should be required for them at the very least.

One or two times and they’ll remember.

3 Likes

My son just reported that two of his employees who have both been doubly vaccinated started to have symptoms (mostly like a cold) and were tested and have COVID. His company is based in SF, but everyone is working remotely so I’ll have to ask where they are.

I have largely, but not always, wearing a mask when I go into stores, even if it is now mask optional for vaccinated folks. Because of the politics, I do not trust non-vaccinated folks to wear masks (or even tell the truth about whether they were vaccinated). We have been having 2-4 guests at a time over at our house, either outside or, when it rains or is very hot, inside and have not been wearing masks. I do trust all of our friends to tell the truth.

1 Like

Would it be reasonable to guess that people fall into one of these groups, in varying proportions in different areas?

Group Vaccinated Mask use
COVID-paranoid Yes, as soon as possible Yes, even in non-required low risk situations.
COVID-concerned Yes, but some may not be in as much of a hurry to get it. Maybe or no when not required (depending on perceived risk level of the situation and whether mask or no-mask appears common or customary there); will obey honor system requirements and requests.
COVID-unconcerned No, unless required or strongly incentivized. No, unless required, will obey honor system requirements.
COVID-denier No, except maybe if required. No, unless requirement is enforced.

The COVID-paranoid includes those with medical reasons to be more concerned than most people, but the number of people continuing to wear masks in outdoor uncrowded situations suggests that far more people than those with medical vulnerabilities are COVID-paranoid.

2 Likes

My friend just told me that her company is requiring vaccination by September 8. Their Director of Finance said he wouldn’t get it because he just “ doesnt believe it is necessary “ They said “ Ok, we understand. Let’s start looking for your replacement and putting a transition plan in place”. His response “ Ugh, alright, I’ll get the vaccine”.

13 Likes