Future Students

<p>Hello HokieFreshman, Do you know how long it takes for the RLC application process? I’ve sent mine in this week. Thanks.</p>

<p>@yellowcar1, I am not sure about the process except that there are two periods where they look at the applications, or at least I believe that is how they did it when I was a senior. You should hopefully be hearing back soon, but I unfortunately can’t give you a specific date</p>

<p>Hi, i have two questions for you</p>

<p>Do you think i can get into Chemical Engineering with a 2010 sat (1350 CR + Math) and something like a 3.2 GPA ( its complicated to calculate my GPA because here its from a scale from 1-7) i am also doing the IB diploma which i think will help a lot. TY</p>

<p>Also, is it very boring to be in a place like blacksburg? i come from a very big city and i really like VT, if i get accepted it would probably be my first choice but im very concerned about living in such a small town. Are there lots of activities, parties, things to do, etc?</p>

<p>thanks</p>

<p>@simonferro - I can’t tell you anything about getting into a specific engineering since you are considered general engineering until you pass the necessary classes, then you select your specialty. You seem like a good candidate for engineering based on SAT, but I don’t know about GPA. I am a bio major so I don’t really know how engineering works.</p>

<p>Although Blacksburg is a rural town, it is a college town in a great community. There are a lot of unique restaurants to Blacksburg and the people are really great here. Also in close distance are three places to hike which I find to be fun. There are a lot of things to do on campus from sporting events to concerts and comedians. If you are wanting to party, you will be able to find it. I have never had a problem with that!</p>

<p>I already posted this as a question but didn’t get a clear answer… If I took 4 years of a language (French) in high school, do I have to take any more language classes when I get to Tech? If so, how many?</p>

<p>[Frequently</a> Asked Questions | Undergraduate Admissions | Virginia Tech](<a href=“http://www.admiss.vt.edu/frequently-asked-questions/]Frequently”>http://www.admiss.vt.edu/frequently-asked-questions/)</p>

<p>Do you require a foreign language for admission?
No, we do not require a foreign language for admission; however, the university requires at least two years of a foreign language (some programs require more) to graduate. This requirement may be met in high school by completing two units of a single foreign or classical language (or three units for students whose majors have a three-year requirement). The requirement may also be met by receiving credit by examination, or by earning six semester hours of college-level foreign or classical language credit (or the appropriate amount required for graduation in the student’s selected program of study). American Sign Language (ASL) is accepted by Virginia Tech to satisfy the foreign language requirement.</p>

<p>@chuy “This requirement may be met in high school by completing two units of a single foreign or classical language (or three units for students whose majors have a three-year requirement).”
So I’m good? :D</p>

<p>Yes, you’re good.</p>

<p>So I’m about ready to send in my mid-year school report to the office of undergraduate admissions so please chance me on my senior year grades for the engineering school. Please be very honest. </p>

<p>SAT 1: 1350 (720 M 630 CR)</p>

<p>Our school’s grading scale is as follows:</p>

<p>4 - A
3.5 - B+
3 - B
2.5 - C+</p>

<p>Etc etc. No such thing as an A+
+1 Quality point for AP and IB classes</p>

<p>AP Physics C: B+ (This one is weird because we do Mechanics for the first half of the year and E&M for the second half, giving two credits for the entire class.)
AP Calculus BC: A
English 12: A
IB Design Tech: A
AP US Gov’t: B
Advanced Band: A
Marching Band (.5 credits): A</p>

<p>Total GPA Calculation:
(4.5 x 2 + 5 + 4 + 5 + 4 + 4 + 4 x .5) / 7.5</p>

<p>Total Senior Year GPA:
4.4</p>

<p>Cumulative weighted GPA for previous years (not including senior year):
3.74</p>

<p>Thanks,
~ Ben</p>

<p>Ben - you have a shot. Since you applied regular decision you are just going to have to be patient.</p>

<p>Hey
I am an international student. Can you tell me how open are VT students to internationals? Can you also tell me the best dorm for internationals.</p>

<p>Hi @Hokiefreshman!! First of all, thank you for your time to help us. I have been recently admitted to Virginia Tech for Biological Science. I was wondering how is the program and where does Biological Science in VT rank? I am majoring in Biological Science to get me on track for School of Medicine. Thank you, once again.</p>

<p>@Hokiefreshman, I have a RLC question. If you are placed on a waitlist, is there any hope of getting accepted? Thanks.</p>

<p>I don’t know practically anyone at VT, and it’s intimidating… how can one go about finding their “place” among a great group of friends? One of the bad things about being a transfer is that everybody has already formed their group of friends by now, and as a junior you feel kind of “out of place” sometimes. My other question is, do transfers usually get on-campus housing or are the chances low?</p>

<p>On-campus housing for transfers is not common, but it has happened.</p>

<p>MissHopeful, bboop42 is right, on-campus housing isn’t common for transfers and I wouldn’t bet on it. </p>

<p>What you need to do is join clubs and just be really personable with your classmates. I disagree with the notion that groups have “formed” and will never accept anyone else. Everyone is still looking to make new friends and that wont change simply because your new. However, you will need to put in some extra effort. Join clubs, go to events on campus, and just be open and you’ll be fine.</p>

<p>The friends I made Freshman year I sort of grew apart from after that. My best friends I met late in Junior year (well, started hanging out with then anyway) and my other group I met sophomore year.</p>

<p>Basically if you’re fun to be around you’re fine.</p>

<p>Edit: joining clubs is a really good piece of advice. So is going to events. Basically just do things you like to do and you’ll become friends with other people that do those things.</p>

<p>Bumping because there should always be a ‘quick question’ thread alive.</p>