General airline travel thread

My last flight was on SW, so they called my boarding group and I lined up. And I smelled BO. Was it ME? I didn’t think so but I’d been running around Seattle all day so… But no, as I stepped closer to the woman in front of me, I could tell it was her. She was a tall, beautiful person who was a little on the hippie style and just smelled.

Since it was SW and she was in front of me in line, it was easy to avoid sitting next to her. Instead I lucked out and the guys sitting next to me had an internet connection and were watching the hockey playoffs so I could see them too.

1 Like

I don’t recall, but we probably didn’t have checked bags in the names of the kids – would have just have one in one of the parents names.

Apparently Delta is making significant changes to their SkyMiles program on Sept 14. Rumors are swirling. Maybe we should have jumped in that double deal last week (discount travel to Australia and new Zealand and discounted miles if one has the delta amex card) and booked our round trip tix in premier comfort class ) or something like that) with Miles and $250 in taxes. Oh well

It’s not Sept 14 yet!:roll_eyes:

This makes me very nervous! Fake parts installed in 737 engines. :scream:

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/boeing-aerospace/airlines-engine-makers-race-to-track-down-bogus-spare-parts/

The most affected (with 78 falsified documents) jet engines are the CFM56 model, used in the Airbus A320ceo family and the Boeing 737NG family of aircraft. These aircraft and engines are very common.

The newer Airbus A320neo family and Boeing 737 MAX family aircraft use different engines.

Two falsified documents were found for the CF6 jet engine family, which “powers nearly 70 percent of the world’s widebody aircraft”.

1 Like

These are separate issues. I am aware of the date :calendar: :date:

I got TSA PreCheck when it was a trial program being offered to AA elites. ShawWife and I have had Global Entry and Nexus for many years – got that as soon as it was offered but we did have to wait to get appts and wait at the airport for interviews (I got mine in Boston Logan and she had her interview at Toronto). My guess is that you can search for airports that have lighter international travel and get appointments there more easily.

I’d sign up for anything if it would get me through lines faster. I also have Clear (free with Amex Platinum) – it is not clear that it is any faster than TSA PreCheck. Years ago, when a UK BP guy saw how many UK stamps were in my passport, he said, “We have just started this new Trusted UK Traveler program and you should apply. Here’s the application.” It was great as I could go through the UK/EU line and not the foreigner line. I don’t think it has any use at this point. If there were a similar program for the EU, I’d happily supply them with whatever information they need (which no doubt they already have anyway). (Edit: It looks like the EU will at some point have such a system: Entry-Exit System). I don’t know how to apply. Not as big a need for me as UK (which can be 4-15 trips a year). EU might be 3 trips a year, though in some years, it could easily have been like the UK).

Delta has a relatively new, very fast screening (but only available so far in a few airports) called digital ID. It’s got it’s own baggage check in and dedicated security line. Super easy and very fast. No need to take out a photo ID from your wallet. Just stand there, it takes your picture and compares to its stored database (one has to have signed up for it in their Delta account) and off you go!!

1 Like

My daughter applied for Global Entry while she was home. Filled out the online application on Saturday. Conditionally approved on Sunday. There were no interviews available but she used an app/website that lets you know when there is an opening. Monday afternoon, an interview slot opened likely due to cancellation. She grabbed it. Interview was Friday. The next Monday she got her final approval. So less than 9 days total.

7 Likes

A confusing name when Apple has the digital license here in Georgia.

Recent experience at JFK - my son used the Mobile Passport Control (MPC) app as opposed to Global Entry. There are separate lines at Terminal 4 ICE for both GE and MPC. He actually made it through faster than the rest of us with GE.

5 Likes

Clear was actually slower for me the last couple trips. In PHX at one point I had about 8 people in line ahead of me and the pre-check line had fully emptied out, so I seriously considered switching lines. Then to add insult to injury I got flagged for random check anyway so had to get checked again by the pre-check guy anyway.

On an individual basis Clear seems slower than pre-check, the only advantage is the shorter line which is fading away as more people sign up.

1 Like

I agree. Lately the clear line has been much longer (especially at SFO) than TSA precheck

1 Like

Thanks for that heads-up, I’m heading to SFO next week and was wondering if I should use the clear line or not on the way back. Sounds like I should just use the pre-check line. And OMG can I complain here about how ridiculously long the walk is out to the curb when arriving at SFO? Feels like they added a half mile to the walk with the remodel in the AA terminal.

I’m really glad my company pays for clear, otherwise I’d be pretty unhappy with it right now. They sent me a survey right after that PHX trip I mentioned and I gave them zeros for the speed, convenience, and “would you recommend” questions.

SFO (I hope its temporary) closed the security checkpoint that goes to concourse C at terminal 2. Its a PITA because you have to enter at the D security door and then walk a long walkway to concourse C (this is for delta, but would be true for all planes arriving on concourse C). And the reverse is true when deplaning and going to either baggage claim, transportation or simply to exit the airport. I can only speak to our experience at the D security, but the tsa precheck is all the way over to the right and easy to miss. Just keep walking to the farthest point, past the clear entrance, to enter the security lines and you’ll spot it.

I’ve not been at terminal 1 so can’t speak to that. All this is at terminal 2.

2 Likes

Incidentally, I just flew JetBlue’s Mint service to London. I usually fly BA’s morning flight but could not – had to be at a wedding a couple of hours from home the night before my flight and wouldn’t be able to get to the morning flight easily. I don’t usually do the online questionnaires but did this time to give them feedback. I rated JetBlue excellent on seats and inflight service, meals good, but they need lounges at both ends and a day flight to London.

My frustration with Global Entry or Mobile Passport - is last few trips the bottleneck was not immigration, it was going through security on the other side - for both Houston and Miami. Those lines were terrible and there’s no pre-check option. I have an appointment for Global Entry in October, but don’t really think it’s going to help much.

It was the same thing 2 years ago when I flew Delta out of SFO. I’m pretty sure it’s temporary, but it seems to be a “long” temporary. I know they’re doing construction at that end of Terminal 2 to connect Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 airside.

@Darcy123, there is one line for GE but then you have to show the printed certificate to someone (Line 1). In BOS, there is actually a short line for that (Line 2). In Toronto, you sort of just wave the paper and then go through. Then there is a line for customs (Line 3), which is pretty much non-existent in Boston. When you say security, are you talking about the second of the three lines

1 Like