General airline travel thread

You are right- it HAS been a LONG time. We used to hang at the fabulous USO lounge just outside that security checkpoint. No more ;( . Not even sure its still there.

This was for an international flight home connecting through Houston. I used Mobile Passport - although it really didn’t save any time as those lines were short. In Houston, there was the first line to show passport, second line for something to declare (we always have carryon and nothing to declare so this line is always super short), then you’re directed back into a line to go through security. In Houston it was SLOW and LONG and there was no TSA Precheck. You end up back in the terminal for your next flight. I’m pretty sure Miami was the same a few months ago. That’s been the real bottleneck for us. I was tempted to actually exit completely and then just reenter through the normal lines where we could use PreCheck.

Global Entry includes pre-check, so I don’t understand your saying it doesn’t help. Do those airports have no pre-check line?

Edit: OH, I see you are talking about connecting to another, domestic flight.

I had that issue in Austin flying back from Mexico. You go through customs and then exit out, have to recheck your baggage (that was a real pain!) and then go through security again. It was like 8 pm so you’d think it was no problem, but of course I got in a line behind a woman who couldn’t get through the scanner. Her shoes, her scarf, her jewelry. It was like 5 minutes just for her.

And then I went to put my shoes back on and had put my glasses in my shoe, so

1 Like

Yes international flight connecting to domestic flight which requires going through security again and not having a precheck option. We almost missed the connection and had left plenty of time, or so we thought. But that line was long and slow.

I forget which airport it was, but it didn’t have an official pre check line. Instead you showed your boarding pass to one of the screeners and they yell at the guy monitoring the metal detector “he’s pre-check!” and they let you keep your shoes on. It was pretty hilarious in a Mickey Mouse kinda way.

It took us FOREVER to find an open slot for our Global Entry interview. 6 months later, we nabbed a cancellation about 5 hours from our airport. Fortunately we were heading in that direction anyway.

First (and only) time we tried to use it, only DH’s boarding pass was stamped PreCheck (yes, we included both numbers when making reservations). Since we had to check a bag anyway, I asked the desk agent if it were possible to re-issue my boarding pass with Precheck noted, showing him my Global Entry card. He said it wouldn’t work, but that I could show the TSA agent my card in the TSA PreCheck security line.

Nope - The security line agent said Global Entry does not count - the boarding pass MUST show the TSA precheck – go to the regular line. Fortunately we had plenty of time.

Hope it works on our next flight! Any other advice? If the boarding pass does not show PreCheck, who has the authority to correct it?

thanks, I’ll keep a look out for the line. I fly into SFO every few months and have used Clear (at United term 3) and its worked great. But then SFO TSA is usually pretty efficient, and even friendly. (They have govt approval to use contractors for a test and are under rigorous QC.)

I think (hope) this may help: Check your Global entry materials for a “known traveler number”. You then have to manually enter it into your profile with your airline (for me it was under the “secure flight info” tab.) There is also, on my delta account, a place for a Canadian travel # and a “redress #” (which I think you can get if for some reason you’ve had some other trouble with a boarding pass or something). So try that-- look for your KTN (known traveler number) and enter it into your profile on your airline account. That should take care of your TSA precheck. Hope this works!

4 Likes

My experience, Clear lines have been “clogged” recently with people that they sell instant enrollment to right there at the entrance to the Clear line. They get up to the kiosk and take a huge amount of time to get through for the first time. I have switched to using regular TSA Pre Check line when I see this happening.

Going to be flying into Heathrow in a few weeks for the first time–no connecting flights, thank goodness.

Is Heathrow the horror show as described? I had to guess how long it would take to get our luggage and go through passport control, arriving at 7 AM (had to give the car service a time). I told them 90 minutes, but they do have our flight # should we be late.

I hope I allowed enough time. We shall see!

Not sure which airline you were dealing with but American Airlines does this for me quite often when I forget to put my known traveler number in before checking in online. The desk agent manually enters my KTN and reissues the boarding pass. KNT is the number on the back of your global entry card.

I used to have my KTN on my AA profile but for some reason when I started flying again after COVID it isn’t automatically entered on my reservation so no precheck on my ticket. AA can’t figure it out so I just enter it manually prior to checking in.

1 Like

I found Heathrow to be pretty efficient just a few months ago. I don’t know if you are going to London, but the Elizabeth line from Heathrow is fast, and very cheap. Might want to rethink the car unless you aren’t London bound or you have a ton of luggage.

Heathrow express is cheap if you book 90 days out or more, not such great deal day of.

We always book the Heathrow express in advance then take a subway or taxi from Paddington to wherever we are staying.

1 Like

I flew in to Heathrow yesterday AM. Not a horror show at all, but I haven’t checked luggage for London in years so I don’t know about the speed of luggage. It was extremely hot but seems to have cooled off a bit.

Heathrow is painful if you have a connecting flight. If not, it’s fine.

Seconding the suggestion of taking Heathrow Express. I travel frequently and have found that to be the most efficient way to get into London.

The issue I’ve heard from those with a connection is that they are VERY strict with the liquid rule. Many passengers have ignored this rule and lines are bogged down with those trying to conform to the quart bag and 3 ozs of liquid.

So if you are connecting, make sure you have your stuff packed correctly. Although I hear the lines are a nightmare.

1 Like

Thanks to all who have replied. Actually, we are NOT going to London, but Windsor (our tour starts there). Our travel agent has had bad experiences with taxis to Windsor and recommended we not take one.

OTOH, we are flying home FROM London, but our hotel is a 7 minute walk from the Victoria Coach Station. We have booked a Megabus ride back to Heathrow. They leave every hour and are only 6 pounds pp for a senior.

4 Likes

Just flew to Heathrow last week. US passport holders using the e-gates, no issues with the immigration line. For non-EU/US holders, god bless you - the line was horrible.

Checked luggage claim from Delta was normal - not an excessive wait.

Please check the Heathrow Express website for strikes/industrial actions. We arrived just after one had started and had to take a 100 pound taxi to our hotel by Tower Bridge and got a tiny refund on the unused train ticket.

If you are checking bags for the return home, definitely place all of your toiletries in the checked luggage. They are very strict on the one 100ml baggie rule and x-ray screening was backed up with the security people throwing all kinds of stuff out that was over the limit.

A plus one on the Elizabeth Line vs. Heathrow Express if you are traveling during normal hours. Off hours, the Elizabeth Line runs once every 30 minutes.

1 Like

Thanks for your comments!

Are the e-gates where there is no interaction with a human? I had watched a youtube video that described something like that.

We are also flying Delta, so your comments on checked luggage are encouraging.

Praying for no bus strikes as our return ride to Heathrow is on a Megabus.

Correct - you wait in the queue, walk up to the gate, slide your passport picture page in, they scan your face, the gate opens, and you are on your way.

1 Like