General Course Scheduling Questions

<p>*
We have no clue how demanding the CBH 101 course will be.*</p>

<p>It’s not unusual for kids to feel overwhelmed their first semester in CBH as they try to get their “semester project” done by the deadline. It’s not unusual for these kids to burn the midnight oil in order to meet that deadline. I wouldn’t want to have OChem competing at the same time. </p>

<p>Yes, Honors Bio is easier than 231 OChem. I would definitely recommend that your son take Honors Principals of Bio for fall, and then do 231 OChem in spring.</p>

<p>I don’t know which OChem you took (schools usually offer 3 versions - hardest, hard, easier)… depending on the req’ts for the major/career. Chem E (and pre-med) require the hardest versions of OChem 231 & 232.</p>

<p>^^^
That was some years ago (blush). The amount of sheer memorization was only rivaled by Gross Anatomy in medical school. </p>

<p>Thanks. I’ll put together a schedule with Honors Bio in it rather than O Chem. He can consider both and then see what his faculty advisor suggests at Bama Bound.</p>

<p>I do appreciate your input!</p>

<p>I know that your son is not considering med school for now. But, since you are a doctor, perhaps he’ll change his mind at some point.</p>

<p>As you know, GPA (and “Science GPA”) is super important for med school admittance. It seems that a higher GPA is now needed than - say 25 years ago. Right now, a 3.7+ is highly desired for non-URM applicants. And, as you know, med schools look very closely at the OChem grades because they believe that the “learning/memorization” skills needed for top grades in OChem most closely resemble the skills needed for med school success. </p>

<p>So, in case your son does decide on med school, I wouldn’t want him to jeopardize his chances by taking OChem at a time when getting an A might not be as likely. As you know, OChem is a “weeder class”.</p>

<p>If you need OChem prof recommendations…Kevin H. Shaughnessy and Marco Bonizzoni are excellent.</p>

<p>BTW…I don’t know why Bama requires the hardest OChem versions for pre-med. Other schools don’t.</p>

<p>Here’s a tip if you want to get an idea of whether they’ll be adding seats (and how many) to a class or not. </p>

<p>On the homepage of mybama at the top of the middle box select “look up classes”</p>

<p>On the drop down menu that appears saying “search by term” select “fall of 2010” instead of 2011.</p>

<p>Then select the class you’re interested in knowing about and you’ll see how many seats that class offered in prior semesters. You can do the same for “fall of 2009” for more confirmation.</p>

<p>For the most part you’ll see that the numbers are pretty consistent from year to year and that will give you an idea of how many more seats will be added or if a class is maxed out already. </p>

<p>For instance lil bro is trying to get a preferred professor for one of his natural science requirements. Right now the class is full at 90 seats. But looking at fall of 2009 & 2010 we can see that roughly 90 additional seats will be made available for that particular section in the upcoming Bama Bounds. </p>

<p>Only compare fall to fall and spring to spring.</p>

<p>Thanks. NJBama, m2ck, and y’all!</p>

<p>loring, what do you mean by the degree layout? Can one find that at DegreeWorks? (I still don’t have a sense of what classes DS should take his first semester beyond Western Civ, Latin, Greek, and English comp.)</p>

<p>Thanks in advance!!</p>

<p>Lady Di,</p>

<p>Many times the academic catalog will list a recommended sequence for freshman and sophomore years. It doesn’t have it for all majors but it does for many.</p>

<p>Go on mybama under the “academics” tab and on the middle right hand side in the “registrar” box you’ll see a link for academic catalogs. Click on that and then the catalog for 2010 - 2012 and go down the list until you get to your son’s college. Scroll through there for his major and any suggested sequence.</p>

<p>LadyD,</p>

<p>The Chem E department has the suggested 4 year course listed by semester. I’m not where to find your son’s major.</p>

<p>Thanks, NJ & loring!</p>

<p>My son will begin mechanical engineering, how do I know which professors are the best? Looking at taking Chem 101, ENGR 111, ME 121 and Math 145. Also, I read somewhere that if you had an ACT score of 28 or higher you should take another ENGR course and you will get credit for both ENGR 131 and 151, anyone know about this course?</p>

<p>Also, he is attending BB May31st but I am getting nervous he shouldn’t wait to register.</p>

<p>Just an FYI - Dr Caldwell’s Honors Bio class now has a max of 30. Looks like they pulled some open spots for Bama Bound classes.</p>

<p>My son will begin mechanical engineering, how do I know which professors are the best? Looking at taking Chem 101, ENGR 111, ME 121 and Math 145. Also, I read somewhere that if you had an ACT score of 28 or higher you should take another ENGR course and you will get credit for both ENGR 131 and 151, anyone know about this course?</p>

<p>Look at Ratemyprofessor for prof info. I don’t think there are many choices for those Frosh Eng Prog courses.</p>

<p>I don’t know about that ACT 28 rule for FEP classes because the program wasn’t in place when my son was a frosh.</p>

<p>However, in the past, kids in CBH were allowed to skip the second semester of GES.</p>

<p>Edit to add to above.</p>

<p>this may be what you heard…</p>

<p>For Students with a strong HS background in engineering/science</p>

<p>ENGR 142 is a course designed for students with a 28 or higher on the ACT (or 1240 or higher on the SAT) who also have AP Physics credit. **It covers the content of ENGR 131 and 141 in one course. **Students successfully completing the course receive one hour of credit for ENGR 142 plus one additional hour of ENGR credit. It is similar to taking EN 103 and getting credit for EN 101 and EN 102. </p>

<p>[Courses</a> - Freshman Engineering Program](<a href=“http://coeweb.eng.ua.edu/fep/courses.html]Courses”>http://coeweb.eng.ua.edu/fep/courses.html)</p>