Get ready for UF to lose many top professors

Well, I guess women of childbearing age can start pumping out, Sheldon Cooper’s who attend college at the age of 10 or whatever. :grinning:

Most colleges, esp large schools, traditionally have operated without any government oversite into their specific content other than regulating tests that might have to be passed for professional designation to work in the state. What specific things are taught in any particular class is simply not a government matter. It’s been controlled by departments and those within the field.

I wish it would stay that way.

Politics really doesn’t have to seep into everything. Yet now some politicians want to do just that. It’s wrong IMO.

10 Likes

This is a UCF professor who has removed two classes from his teaching schedule this semester due to new law on CRT.

https://twitter.com/katiephangshow/status/1611510578152873987?s=46&t=-N_HxRiWpsDqJCGVX6YkWQ

3 Likes

Now that culture and politics are so interwoven it’s more difficult to keep one from affecting the other……thus our highly politicized and polarized country. What I observe with much of the relevant legislation being passed in Florida and other conservative/conservative leaning states is a desire to pushback against left/progressive cultural changes that have seeped into academia over last few decades. Not everyone is on board with it but at an individual level there’s not much one person or individual can do about because it’s so pervasive…. perhaps the states are trying legislation in the hope it will be a more effective way to address it? Whether those laws will withstand judicial scrutiny is another matter.

2 Likes

Put more simply, they want to control what professors teach, and they want it to solely be in line with their beliefs.

4 Likes

Given the recent Hamline College incident, it seems professors everywhere are on edge over what they may say or teach. Princeton too has had a recent incident where an art professor was attacked for the content of his course. One might expect an administration to offer clear guidelines and support to faculty who follow those guidelines. It really shouldn’t be that hard to do so.
Ironically, I think DeSantis would agree with you, Creekland. Politics has become the central point of all sorts of courses where it did not need to be so.

3 Likes

And that’s what the left wants too = Culture wars. The left has been inserting more and more of its culture preferences into academia and society over the last 40+ years and now they’re upset that people are saying enough, no thank you.

4 Likes

Asked what “woke” means more generally, [Ryan] Newman [DeSantis’ General Counsel] said “it would be the belief there are systemic injustices in American society and the need to address them.”

So it means that DeSantis’ crusade against “woke” is about silencing a reasonable opinion about whether there are systemic injustices in American society and a need to address them.

This is even though at least 63% of Republicans say that at least one racial/ethnic group faces at least some discrimination.

1 Like

Perhaps you missed the first response of the article that you posted:

“To me it means someone who believes that there are systemic injustices in the criminal justice system and on that basis they can decline to fully enforce and uphold the law,” Newman said.”

1 Like

You know it’s not that simple. The push back is against CRT, and it’s expansion into all areas of academia, including hiring, firing, required “training” for faculty, required DEI statements, etc.

To keep this thread on track, the question here is will “TOP” professors leave UF because of these restrictions, particularly on CRT.

I’ve seen no evidence this has yet to happen.

2 Likes

But much of what I see from the left has data and facts to back them up, so change makes sense. Much of what I see from the right depends upon tradition and/or various religious beliefs. Obviously this isn’t 100% for either side, but it sure skews that way from most of what I encounter.

1 Like

Colleges and universities are typically going to encounter DEI-related issues more than other levels of schools. As one progresses in grade from K to college, schools tend to get larger and draw from larger areas (small neighborhood → large neighborhood → city → region, state, or nation) that mostly get more diverse (in many aspects including race/ethnicity, religion, and SES). A college that wants to be attractive (from a marketing perspective) to the largest range of potential students* typically feels that it needs to handle DEI-related issues in a way that enhances, or at least does not degrade, its attractiveness to potential students*. Of course, this can be a difficult problem if doing or not doing something DEI-related is important for one large group of potential students* but is opposed by another large group of potential students*.

Similar can apply over a much longer term (due to the slowness of faculty turnover and the small number of non-adjunct faculty job openings every year) for faculty. Hamline may have bungled DEI and academic freedom all at once from both left and right perspectives, but the effect on its faculty recruiting and hiring may take quite a while to be noticed.

*Or their parents.

@sushiritto Seems to me this thread now belongs in the Politics Forum.

2 Likes

So you’re saying “the left” is deliberately indoctrinating college professors, or that this nebulous group is training prominent “lefties” to infiltrate academia? Um…okay.

I guess I missed that workshop when I was earning my Ph.D. It seems my Ivy was failing me. :roll_eyes:

ETA: Sorry @Creekland. I meant to respond to @vpa2019.

2 Likes

This is getting into politics so this is my last post on this subject. The left already dominates academia and the policies and curriculum of higher Ed institutions. If you can offer evidence of the contrary I welcome it. It is all over the news, it was an issue in the mid terms, my kids have all experienced it starting in middle school and my youngest is still in college and I’ve seen many instances of it with her. Not clear how you don’t know about the issue.

2 Likes

If parents and students have a problem with the education they’re getting, maybe they should find another institution. There are several universities with strict religious or philosophical parameters that ensure the education they provide is more tightly controlled. There are many other options. No one is forcing parents and students to choose and pay to attend specific institutions of higher education.

But parents and students can’t complain about the “leftist” education they feel they’re getting (whatever that means) and then lament the low acceptance rates, tuition costs, low student aid offers, and the hooked kids they feel are “taking up spots.”

And finally, all over “the news” is also relative. There are a lot of publications that claim to offer news and are no more than a political sounding board. I only get my information from reputable news sources, but I do know there are many that claim that is what is happening. That’s not the same thing as offering proof that it is actually happening though.

1 Like

Deleted

Yep. This thread needs to be in the Politics Forum (that I avoid at all costs).

Threads are not moved to the politics forum. Let’s keep politics out of this thread. If someone wants to start a separate conversation in the politics forum, feel free to start.

1 Like

I remember in my D18’s AP Lang class, she (and I) read a work or two by an author named Ta-Nehisi Coates, where I/we were educated about the systemic racism of the past 300-ish years. I actually enjoyed reading those essays many years ago. I learned a great deal about our history.

I was completely unaware at the time, but I assume we would call it CRT today. I just thought I was learning about our past and current problems here. I feel I’m far better off for having read the author.

ETA: Sorry @ProfSD this post was not directed to you. It was originally, but skieurope answered your question about thread movement.

2 Likes