Getting a job after graduation for International Students

Hey guys, I was accepted by the Purdue Polytechnic Institute for my intended major i.e. Robotics Engineering Technology. Is it hard for an international student to get a job in the US after graduation? Does my choice of major make it any easier considering that it’s one of the less popular ones? After graduation, how long will I be allowed to stay in the US to find a job?

Congratulations on your acceptance!

It’s common knowledge that obtaining a skilled worker visa in the US is very difficult, especially for someone who was just on a student visa. There just aren’t a lot of companies willing to sponsor a professional in order to do so, it’s a very costly procedure- a procedure that seems almost useless when there are plenty of qualified Americans willing to take the job.

Sure, your intended major is a field that is rapidly growing, but let me give you some advice. Focus on your academics, try hard to land those unpaid internships, MAKE CONTACTS/Network… Show these companies your stuff. After that, get a Masters degree back home(or in the US if you can still afford it). Doing so will greatly increase your chances, because as it is… It’s very unlikely. Can you imagine how many international students want to stick around in the US after college? i can only imagine it’s quite an amount hahah

After graduation, I believe there is some program that you can extend your visa for up to a year longer, if you have some employment opportunity. After that, you’re obligated to pack your things and head home.

@AGoodFloridian So it’s pretty much a gamble unless I have a master’s or a PhD?