Getting in with a low gpa and test scores [FL resident, 3.0 UW GPA, 26 ACT, kinesiology or health sciences]

CU’s OOS applications were up 40% by Oct 1 (thank you Coach Prime). I think it is going to be a harder acceptance than it has been in the past. Yes, if it is a specific major like music or theater, those departments will have more pull than say Spanish or communications.

A way you can get into UF or FSU is to attend the community college associated with the university. Both have dorm opportunities, some ability to participate in the ‘big’ school’s clubs and events, and their own communities too. I’ve known several kids who successfully took this path.

2 Likes

Pitt and Pen State. The first is rolling admissions. I know several kids who already got in and one that just got his Pen State letter today. Both good solid schools.

I wouldn’t recommend UNC-A for health sciences. Check out East Carolina https://www.ecu.edu . You should get in and they have a great health science program with a med school. It is decently diverse, too (much more so than UNC-A which is overwhelmingly white). ECU is about 1/3 BIPOC and 2/3 white, which is in line with the state of North Carolina. It’s a big school with lots of athletics. Sort of a UCF or USF.

Check out VCU Virginia Commonwealth University, too, if you are interested in OOS publics. We really liked it, but ultimately decided not to apply to OOS publics because the money just didn’t make sense. Really enjoyed Richmond. Strong med school and health sciences at VCU.

Agnes Scott is a good suggestion (don’t think it’s a big reach) if you are open to a smaller women’s school. It is incredibly diverse (just no males from birth, trans-men and trans-women are welcome). It is minority white, with more students of color, good LGBTQ scene. Beautiful small campus. My daughter got in with a 3.8 weighted (about a 3.6 unweighted) and a 28 ACT. Everybody gets a scholarship! I don’t know how it is for health science areas because that was not my daughter’s interest. She ended up elsewhere but did like Agnes Scott. Decatur is a fun area too.

1 Like

Pitt and Penn State would both be reaches for this student. If they apply and aren’t rejected, they will probably be branched.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.