Getting in with a low gpa and test scores [FL resident, 3.0 UW GPA, 26 ACT, kinesiology or health sciences]

brief info

I’m a high school senior from FL.

I have several incredible extracurriculars, 3 club officer positions, 300+ service hours, and a job. i earned a special academic diploma at my school, and have 4 quality letters of recommendations from teachers, employers, and community service leaders.

Nearly all classes I have taken were AP or honors.

I am very confident in my essays I wrote on my applications.

I am upper middle class and my budget for college would anywhere under 75,000.

the problem here is that i have an unweighted GPA of 3.0, a weighted GPA of 3.8 and a 26 ACT composite score. I am ranked 303/755. I wrote in the additional info section for the drop in GPA, I had extenuating circumstances.

i was accepted into 2 high acceptance rate schools but I also applied to some reaches and targets.

please tell me: where i may have a chance of getting in so i can apply to a few more places that i am actually likely to get into based on my scores academics and activities

thank you.

What schools have you already applied to?

University of South Florida, FSU, UF (i already know UF is going to say no to me), FIU, FAU, Auburn, CU Boulder, Mizzou, Michigan State, LSU so far. I would like some more so I can apply to some I have a good chance at.

Need the list - but if you applied - say to an FAU type school, they’re great…what’s the problem?

You’re GPA and test will outweigh all else.

And btw - high acceptance doesn’t = bad.

Both my kids chose high acceptance schools (Alabama, College of Charleston) over schools like UF, UGA Honors, etc.

One is an engineer at the same rate of pay and working with kids from the high ranked school he turned down. The other is interning in DC at a highly ranked think tank.

What you do with your opportunities is what matters - not where you go.

Buckle up and be a great you. You can do great things from wherever you land.

High acceptance rates precludes nothing from your future…

1 Like

hello, I just replied with the list to another comment! i got into FAU. and yes I know high acceptance does not = bad. I promise I am not that shallow!! it’s just that I would really like to get into FSU or UF but even schools with a 50% acceptance rate would likely be a reach for me because of my scores :frowning:

1 Like

So FSU and UF are gong to be a no. Like Auburn too. CU unlikely. USF - may need the alternate campus. The others will be acceptances.

What major. That will matter at CU, for example.

It seems you want big.

How about Ole Miss/Miss State, Alabama, Arizona…for smaller College of Charleston, maybe Coastal… You did Mizzou, how about Kansas, Kansas State.

What are you studying? How far do you want to travel? What do you seek in a school - besides an acceptance? Size, weather, environment, geography?

What you’ve listed are all great schools. Why do you need more? Have you been to any to ensure you like them?

1 Like

i applied for kinesiology at most, or health sciences! im so sorry i forgot this info in my post… i visited a few of them as i did a college tour this summer. my parents put a lot of pressure on me and took me to top unis like T10s but it was very uncomfortable because I knew that I had no chance and it ruined my summer to be surrounded by that.

i dont mind the weather, but do like the size of school but I’d prefer a school with diversity. i applied to quite a few because i would like to ensure that i actually get in somewhere, i also have a fee waiver so it doesn’t make sense not to take advantage of it if i am given it.

If you want “diverse” schools, look at Arizona.

Mizzou, for example, is 80% white.

Many top 10 wouldn’t even fit the bill for what you want to study - so your parents are wrong there - and for that major, it won’t matter anyway.

But you seem to have an issue with - high acceptance rates schools - and it doesn’t matter - truly.

I was like you - and when my kid turned down Purdue engineering for Alabama, I wasn’t happy - but he was happier there - and works in a program with kids from Purdue, Michigan and more.

My daughter turned down UF and more for C of C - and is doing great.

Going to a top ranked school doesn’t assure success and going to not a top ranked school doesn’t bring a lack of success.

U of Iowa is rated 6th in College Factual, Indiana 7th, Miami Ohio 8th, ASU 9th - you have a chance at all four I’d say - with ASU a safety.

There you go - top 10.

To check diversity, go to each school’s common data set - and check section B2. For example, FAU is very diverse - with less than half the class white and more than a quarter hispanic.

2024 Best Exercise Science and Kinesiology Schools (collegefactual.com)

cds-2022-2023.pdf (fau.edu)

1 Like

Is your fee waiver financially based or…?
Because a budget of 75k for college implies family income 250k+ and that doesn’t correlate with fee waivers. Some colleges have no fee though.

When you say health sciences what do you envision? Asking because if you want premed or nursing it wouldn’t be the right major and its name is confusing on that account.

Does the 3.8 appear on your transcript?

Eckerd or Rollins are private and more likely to have time&resources to dig into your application, figure out the grade trend, look for reasons why there was a grade slip, check out recommendations…

Assuming you can afford 75k a year and can go out of state, here are some ideas: I’d say SUNY Cortland would be a low match, UNC Asheville, Penn State Main for Human Health&Development (HHD) only if the 3.8 appears on transcript AND you’ve taken bio/chem/physics+1scienceAP+calculus (branch campus for 2+2 if either condition isn’t fulfilled), Cal Poly Pomona and Sonoma State (if you’ve taken art/music since it’s a requirement in California…); Capital OH, Juniata PA, Illinois Wesleyan, Knox IL, Hendrix AR (all 5 are very good for B/B+ students interested in Health&Science&excellent results for health grad school, but not too diverse I’m afraid), reachier Clark MA, Wheaton MA, Lewis&Clark OR.
Applications deadlines are soon for public universities or EA deadlines.

1 Like

Colorado State? Utah?

For a smaller school setting, how about Loyola New Orleans? I saw Eckerd and Rollins were suggested as well.

Seconding MYOS’ question: what do you hope to do with a health sciences or kinesiology degree? Expanding on what your interests are would help commenters point to programs that might be of interest.

For example, Misericordia University in Pennsylvania would be a low-match for you, and their strength is their programs in the medical field. Particular stand-out BS programs are Medical Imaging and Diagnostic Medical Sonography, which produce highly-employable graduates with advanced skills and lots of clinical experience under their belts. They also have two different specializations within Health Sciences: Exercise Science or Medical Science. In addition, they have a direct-entry 6.5 year PT program, although I suspect your stats would need to be higher for that. Given the breadth of their health-related programs, it would be a great place to get strong advising to refine your path. Academic Programs - Misericordia University

1 Like

How about Elon? Your ACT is in their mid-50 range. I recently attended an admissions presentation recently where they said their mid-range GPA is 3.5 to 4.5. BUT that is their own calculation where they very heavily weight honors and AP so your GPA could be in that range with their weighting system. They have historically been a high admission schools (70%ish) but they expect their acceptance rate to be lower this year. Good luck!

OP hasn’t been back but based on his school list and a previous comment, he’s looking for large schools. And diversity. And those both rule out a school like Elon, fine and beautiful but lacking in both. And some of the others mentioned too - which are small.

Hopefully OP comes back.

We don’t know OP’s gender, do we?

True, the trend is toward larger schools. Hopefully OP will return and confirm whether that’s a strong preference or whether they just hadn’t considered smaller schools. Diversity-wise, there are some less-diverse campuses on the list (Mizzou, Boulder) so I don’t think we can infer anything about what’s important to the OP in that regard.

It’s pretty difficult to guess at exactly why the particular schools on the existing list - all fine public universities, but I don’t see an obvious trend in terms of geography, vibe, programs, or other attributes. Since there seems to be a particular academic focus, I’d hoped to get more clarity on that aspect. Anyway, all moot unless OP rejoins the conversation!

Perhaps my assumption on gender is wrong (that’s always a tough one, especially with many threads so I could be wrong) - but OP wrote this, hence my note on diversity and yes, not all he applied to are diverse (if by diversity, they mean racial).

dont mind the weather, but do like the size of school but I’d prefer a school with diversity.

2 Likes

bahahaha it’s okay to guess my gender, it is really not important, but i am a girl! i was busy today but i do see the responses and am so happy to hear them! i will still consider schools even if they aren’t as diverse as i’d like them because i can’t win everything i guess

1 Like

i’m here (im a girl since there was a brief discussion about that hahah) the reason i chose some of the schools on the list i mentioned are because:

1. I visited them at some point
  2. A sizeable amount of students from my school end up there EVEN if they have lower stats
  3. i just like the school

diversity, geography, several attributes are important to me, but if a school is lacking one or two of my preferences, i won’t rule it out entirely

2 Likes

You mentioned fee waivers which usually are given to lower income students…and those kids can’t afford $75,000 a year for college. How did you get your fee waivers?

1 Like

If you’re a girl, you can try for Agnes Scott College in Atlanta. It’s a big reach but worth a shot if you have sufficient rigor and can show some intellectual curiosity. Small women’s college that collaborates with Georgia Tech (=…lots of guys if it’s a worry), beautiful campus, very diverse, dynamic curriculum, good scholarships (I recommend trying to write one of the special essays to improve your odds of admission since it not only shows your dedication but also your writing skills), and the city is very “young”.

Lots of other colleges have been listed so far. You can start checking out their websites and if you like what you saw keep on reading the reviews in Princeton Review’s Best Colleges (any edition 2021 on).

Keep us updated on your progress and good luck!:crossed_fingers:

2 Likes