Getting out of housing contract

<p>My son and his roommate just completed their sophomore year in one of the upper class dorms that is in high demand. When they had to state their intentions for next year, it was in February. They are really regretting now that they signed another dorm contract for their Junior year and would much rather be in off campus housing. I know for a fact that it would be NO problem to fill their room but they make it sound like there is no way you can get out of it without paying a huge fine which is almost the cost of the entire contract. Has anyone had any experience in this area? Thanks.</p>

<p>Not sure but I suggest an email. As a parent, I am always very impressed with how quickly Purdue answers its emails.</p>

<p>My son and his roommate were advised to e-mail the manager of the dorm. Apparently they will know something by next Monday but NOT to count on being released. Purdue always has a housing shortage and both these guys will be juniors and both will have cars next year. It will be unfortunate when we are reading in the Exponent next Fall that they had to put Freshmen in extra rooms in fraternities, motels and othe inappropriate housing when these guys were willing to give up their room and live off campus.</p>

<p>If you think that, that is bad. Try being the college student living with the roommate from hell. And when you go to the housing department, they won't even let you out of the contract even though living in the dorms is affecting you psychologically, physically, and emotionally. At the same time your mother goes and buys another home where your college is because of the situation and they still won't let you out of your contract. It's freaking insane. They don't even give you the option of buying them out of the contract and giving over the entire cost of the semester. At this point I'd rather be homeless than living in this freaking dorm with this *****.</p>