Give up Honors Housing?

<p>Hi all! I have looked for the answer to my question but I can’t figure out what to do.</p>

<p>My D is a current sophomore at UA with the 4 year housing scholarship. Believe me, we are grateful. She is currently in RCS but wants to live in a single. To do that, she would have to go to a non-honors dorm. </p>

<p>Here’s the question: Is there a downside to doing this? Will she somehow lose her last year of housing? Is her housing only for Honors dorms? What am I missing?</p>

<p>she, theoretically, would be locked out of honors housing for future years.</p>

<p>if she is able to pick a space that she will want for the rest of college, then there is no downside. if she might want to go back to an honors building, she won’t be able to … that’s the downside.</p>

<p>i think that they should do away with the rule that you must be in honors housing to choose honors housing the next year. maybe this was applicable or useful when they were “guaranteeing” honors kids housing for the next year, but now, i think that rule has no real place.</p>

<p>Hi Cuttlefish,
As long as your student continues to meet deadlines for recontracting, etc., her ability to use the housing scholarship on campus will not be affected by what building she selects.</p>

<p>In order to do this, she would have to choose a different building outside of next year’s Honors Community, which would mean that she cannot return to Ridgecrest in subsequent years. </p>

<p>But if the 1-bedroom is the most important thing to her, she can try for it this year starting sometime next week (don’t know your student’s hours-earned academic standing). If she’s able to find that space this year, then she should be able to continue to “stay put” in that space in subsequent years.</p>

<p>Hope this helps!
Janine Gascoigne</p>

<p>Thank you Mike and Janine. Your answers help. </p>

<p>My D does want a single and will try to get one when it’s her turn. She knows that she will give up honors housing and is fine with that. I just wanted to be sure there wasn’t some loss of the scholarship or some other problem.</p>