Good Financial Bets for "Avg" AA Students with high EFCs despite no savings?

<p>Okay, so I’m starting a new adventure w/my youngest who isn’t the National Merit/Achievement Finalist my oldest was. Based on her PSAT scores for 9th and 10th grades, we’ll be lucky if she breaks 1000 on the SAT (M/V), and she’s got a middle-of-the-road GPA of 2.5. She’s mildly active in extra-curriculars (tennis, drama, speech, Girl Scouts), and top 50% of class.</p>

<p>Having established what we were working with, I spent a few hours doing some serious research on “affordable” colleges that would accept her stats. I defined “affordable” as schools with an annual tuition of $10K/yr or less; total bill (tuition plus room and board), around $12-14k/yr. </p>

<p>To my surprise, I was able to find several schools that fit the bill. They’re mostly HBCUs and/or public colleges/universities in the 3rd or 4th tier, but I was pleased with several that we found. Here’s what I’ve learned so far:</p>

<li><p>Some schools in Nebraska, South Dakota, and Minnesota offer “diversity” scholarships for students with average stats, and don’t require financial need. These scholarships can be as high as full tuition (!!) (Oh pleeeeease let them have this when my kid’s ready to college-hunt!).</p></li>
<li><p>Several schools in Minnesota offer in-state tuition to all non-residents. Apparently a reverse-baby boom has left that state with lots of empty seats to fill.</p></li>
<li><p>Lots of states have begun reciprocal agreements with surrounding states to offer in-state tuition to either whole states or nearby counties.</p></li>
<li><p>[::</a> College Planning Made Easy | Inside Source for College Admissions Requirements](<a href=“http://www.collegeboard.com%5D::”>http://www.collegeboard.com) has a great search engine for schools that meet specific criteria you choose, but there’s still a lot of legwork after that, and their tuition/fee page is always a year or two behind current pricetags.</p></li>
<li><p>I found additional schools that met the price requirement in Texas, New Mexico and Arkansas.</p></li>
<li><p>You can borrow OR withdraw from your 401K to finance your kid’s college costs. </p></li>
</ol>

<p>Does anyone else have any tips on affordable schools and/or non need-based institutional scholarships for average AA kids?</p>

<p>WOW!! You are so far ahead of me!! My D2's academic profile is quite similar to that of your youngest. I hadn't ever considered the possibility of non-need based aid. D1 receives generous finaid at top LAC and I figured we'd just bite the bullet, paying more for D2 b/c she'd probably attend a school that "gaps" (doesn't meet 100% of need).</p>

<p>I know that the New Eng states offer limited reciprocity: in-state tuition to oos students studying a subject not offered at the students' state schools. But I don't believe my state uni system (SUNY) offers that option. And neighboring state schools - - UConn, Penn State - - are increasingly competitive. </p>

<p>I too have begun researching HBCUs, but their web sites are atrociously difficult to navigate or provide little information. Also, at least at present, D is resisting the idea of attending a HBCU (she has attended only predom white schools). And, DH is uncharacteristically apprehensive (very troubled by low SAT/gpa at HBCUs). So, Howard, Spelman and maybe FAMU may be the only ones on her list.</p>

<p>In short, I have nothing to offer (except adulation). But if you're willing to let me ride your coat-tails, I'd love to know what HBCUs you're considering. Info about Minn, Ark and NM schools would also be great. (Please feel free to PM me.)</p>

<p>Wish I had some useful info to offer in exchange . . . .</p>

<p>your screen name is not an accurate description of you, you are a supermom.</p>

<p>So what schools precisely in Nebraska, South Dakota, and Minnesota offer diversity scholarships?</p>

<p>In our state, a lot of young people attend the community colleges for the first two years and then are guaranteed admission into the state universities. Some also apply and are accepted to private colleges. It's a great way to grow academically and emotionally and it's a low cost option.</p>

<p>My oldest D had a similar profile as Supermom's D, with a little higher GPA (2.7) but zero ECs and no APs and Honors classes. She was offered a full, four-year scholarship to North Dakota State University in Fargo. She got the offer after she applied and was accepted. I should note, I think her SAT was above the average for white students admitted to NDSU. It was 1200/1600, if memory serves. Despite her average academics, she was also admitted to Michigan State and University of Wisconsin (Madison), but no scholarship money. And she was offered a full scholarship to a private college in PA that she never applied to. I'm serious. They called our house and offered her a full scholarship if she would apply. I wish I could remember the name of the college. She turned 'em all down, including the full ride to NDSU, and went elsewhere.</p>

<p>Hey SMIA! My son is scoring around 1600/2400 as a sophomore, and 3.1 GPA (I check daily...) with 2 okay EC's I (dare I say it?) actually discouraged AP's next year.I'm hoping for CSU here in California, but I'll be "stalking" your posts!. He is the token Black kid in his circle ( and they tell him he is the whitest Black kid they know.... but they don't know any other Black kids so whatever...), and I can't imagine him at an HBCU, but he is a BIG fan of "Drumline" so who knows?</p>

<p>Sorry, didn’t realize it was an old thread.</p>

<p>That’s okay. I think it is still a topic of interest.</p>