Good Pre-Med Schools

<p>Yes, and surprisingly, Stanford typically only sends about 75% of its premeds to medical school. Duke sends 80-85%.</p>

<p>H, Y, P, and B are all 90%+.</p>

<p>also . . . davidson has 100% acceptance into medical schools</p>

<p>^ not a chance thats true - even though Davidson has only 1700 students and probably only sends 20-30 applicants a year, I seriously doubt that all of them get in every year.</p>

<p>I think afan is providing great advice. The chief determinant of whether you will be accepted to medical school will be YOU, and not your undergraduate institution. Personally I wasn't fond of anyone in my medical school class from JHU, as a group they were very tightly wound. You can become an academic Departmental Chair, author, and physician educator without attending an ivy or USNews top 25 institution.</p>

<p>I'm currently in WashU Biomedical Engineering, but taking similar classes to that of a Pre-Med. Pre Meds are required to take Chemistry I here, and that is one of the biggest weed out classes for pre-meds. Every year, 600 come in, and more than 20% drop. </p>

<p>Sophomore year, there is Organic Chemistry, which is also a giant weed-out class.</p>

<p>By the end of 4 years, The pre-med population at WashU goes from 600 to less than 200. That is more than a 66% drop out rate. But because of this insane selectivity, our MCAT averages at 36/45 (!!!!). That's enough for Harvard Medical School / JHU Med-School. The funny thing is that WashU's Medical School has even higher averages: 3.9 GPA and 39/45 on MCAT.</p>

<p>39/45 <- impossible</p>

<p>So, come to WashU if you want a top pre-med program with lots of competition >_<</p>

<p>UCLA has a good Pre-Med program. Or Johns Hopkins, Yet, Johns Hopkins is super hard to get into</p>

<p>Could any current Univ. of Georgia honors students speak to the pre-med advising they have received and acceptance/scholarship at med schools? Do many go to Emory or to
MCG?</p>

<p>YALE! You cannot go wrong with the bio program and the english classes. You cannot go wrong with math</p>

<p>if my 3.89 from yale is the same as a friggin 3.89 from a community college,then what the heck is the ivy league for??? ;/</p>

<p>its not the same as a 3.89 from a CC. Thats just denial speaking</p>

<p>I am a high school senior trying to decide between pursuing an undergraduate education at the University of Georgia or a small military school in South Carolina (The Citadel). I plan on going pre-med, and with AP/joint enrollment credit i will be able to complete a double major at The Citadel or a double/triple major at UGA. </p>

<p>UGA has instituted a +/- system for grading (i.e. an A- = 3.7), so my GPA would potentially be lower there than at The Citadel. The military lifestyle at The Citadel would also provide rigorous training and leadership experience, and I would gain character traits like confidence, integrity and composure that would assist me in the interviews for med school. The Honors program there is very individualized, and provides many opportunities for its members to meet individually with their teachers and the director, which would likely make for better advisement and letters of recommendation. There are also no weed-out courses at The Citadel that i know of (aside from Civil Engineering courses).</p>

<p>However, the reputation of The Citadel, while well respected, is largely regional. Their pre-med program is small, and few students go to med school from there. It does not have the large research facilities that UGA has, and it would be tougher to study for the MCATs there than at UGA since there are significantly less pre-med students to work with. While the two are tough to compare, UGA would be considered to be more academic than The Citadel, which might make a minute difference in the perception of my education. </p>

<p>Both schools have good research and internship opportunities, and both have great Honors Programs. They each have respectable reputations, a wide variety of extra-curricular activities and volunteering opportunities. I believe that i could do well at either school. </p>

<p>What do yall think of the pre-med opportunities at these schools, and which do you think would be better?</p>

<p>According to <a href="http://www.ugadm.northwestern.edu/pdf/viewbook.pdf%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.ugadm.northwestern.edu/pdf/viewbook.pdf&lt;/a>, the placement rate is 84% for Northwestern</p>

<p>Would completing my first two years of undergrad at a community/technical college put me at a competitive disadvantage?</p>

<p>I don't know if it would affect you directly (i.e. whether it would look bad on your admissions apps). However, i do know that some medical schools frown upon science courses taken at community colleges. </p>

<p>It also may indirectly decrease your chances. I guess it depends on the particular college, but as a joint-enrollment student (high schooler taking classes at a college) at a community college, I can say that I have had teachers range from excellent to downright terrible. Additionally, you may be less motivated at such a school, depending on the students in your classes. I've seen some great, motivated students, but also those who slack-off or are just bad students. If you study and work hard, then that shouldn't affect you much - but in a lax environment you may be more inclined to put out less than your full effort. Again, this aspect of it is more dependent on the school and you (the student).</p>

<p>SF49ers,</p>

<p>I am currently a pre-med student at UGA, and I can say that I definitely don't regret choosing to come here. As a senior in high school, I had a choice between UGA, UC Berkeley, UCSD, and UC Irvine. Being a Georgia resident, the cost to come here for my pre-med education is definitely worth it. The pre-med office and community here are definitely active as well, sending out mass e-mails about volunteer opportunities, intro to med school information sessions, and the like. Yes, we do have the +/- system, but honestly the classes here are not bad as long as you do some research on the professors here before signing up for their classes. The B's that I've made here so far were only because I didn't try in those classes. </p>

<p>If you have any questions about UGA, please let me know :)</p>

<p>I think all UC schools i.e. University of California schools use a +/- grading system, whereas some of HYPS and Brown don't. In fact I heard that as a freshman at Brown you can take all your classes P/NP.</p>

<p>What are my chances of getting into a top tier college, and where should I apply? </p>

<hr>

<p>I am an African American male- Junior in High School
34 ACT
20/419-rank
5.5/5.0 w
3.75/4.0 uw
2000+ hours of caddieing March 2006-present
spanish honor society, national honor society, diversity club, amensty international, peer leadership network, math tutor, saxaphone for last 8 years
attended National Youth Leadership Forum in summer 08
interested in pre med...family is upper middle class but cannot afford high tuition b/c of 4 kids and my brother is just a year younger than me
Also I will finish 13 AP courses by the time I graduate</p>

<p>You're in...everywhere. 34 ACT, top 5% rank, African American male. That alone is enough.</p>

<p>
[quote]
family is upper middle class but cannot afford high tuition b/c of 4 kids and my brother is just a year younger than me

[/quote]
While I'm not willing to go as far as saying you're in everywhere, I will say you are in at many schools you probably (based solely on your post) can't afford to attend. Figure out the financial realities first. (IOW, is your EFC $44K and your folks say $10K max?) Then build your list accordingly. There should be many truly wonderful options available to you.</p>

<p>well what i would recommend is since you cant afford too high of a tuition but have really good academics, apply to really good public universities because you will be eligible for a lot of academic scholarships. But since you're upper middle class your family will not have a low efc so you wont qualify for much need based aid. in general, private colleges give more need based aid and public colleges give more academic aid. There are many public colleges that if you have high enough grades you can qualify for in state tuition at an out of state school, also if you look at their websites they usually list their scholarships and what qualifies you for them, sometimes you automatically are considered when you apply and are admitted but some you have to apply for on your own, so check the deadlines! for example, i know that at auburn (not an amazing school you would apply to but one of my back ups) had academic scholarships that you could qualify for based on stats so there were three main ones: charter, heritage, and presidential scholarships. charter gives 3,500 a year, heritage gives 2/3 tuition, and presidential pays full tuition. (for presidential you need at least a 3.75 GPA, a 33-36 ACT, and a 1440-1600 SAT, and even if you qualify you apply and get recs and what not then they may call you for an interview and THEN they decide if you're accepted for it) now im not saying to apply there because you can get into much better schools but thats just an example of the types of scholarships some public universities offer, and there are some very prestigious ones so just start researching!</p>

<p>However you seem to be a top student so if i were you i would look at your preferable public colleges and see the types of scholarships/aid they offer and do the same with privates just to see what they offer as well because i was just making a general statement, some will offer academic scholarships. but for example, the ivies do not give academic scholarships they only give need based aid, and while they usually meet need based aid 100%, not many students qualify for "need", you have to have a very low EFC on your fafsa etc..</p>

<p>hope this helped!! good luck =]</p>