Good Pre-Med Schools

<p>Is anyone familiar with the pre-med at SUNY schools? I think Stony Brook has its own school of medicine and it's strong in the sciences. However it seemed a little too large.</p>

<p>SUNY Geneseo was my favorite of the schools but I don't hear very much about the pre-med there. I read through Premed</a> Program at Geneseo
and it looked like a solid program but a lot more people seem to mentioned Stony Brook for pre-med.</p>

<p>The third college i'm considering is Union College, similar in size to Geneseo and one I also liked though not as much as Geneseo. I know two doctors who graduated from there and have met with the premed adviser, so the program seems quite strong. </p>

<p>Any experiences or opinions with the above three, or just in general? I know most any undergrad college is fine for premed so I'm not going to make this the main factor in my decision. However if one has more accessible advisers or a more involved program that could make a difference. Also places like Stony Brook, I know offer a lot of research opportunities. While other schools like Union have connections with local hospitals.</p>

<p>blackbeastbomb, there will many scholarship opporutnites available to you too...
Although my EFC was very high, my parents need to pay nothing for me, I got a full ride to a couple of U's and I picked the one closer to home..</p>

<p>"What are my chances of getting into a top tier college, and where should I apply? </p>

<hr>

<p>I am an African American male- Junior in High School
34 ACT
20/419-rank
5.5/5.0 w
3.75/4.0 uw
2000+ hours of caddieing March 2006-present
spanish honor society, national honor society, diversity club, amensty international, peer leadership network, math tutor, saxaphone for last 8 years
attended National Youth Leadership Forum in summer 08
interested in pre med...family is upper middle class but cannot afford high tuition b/c of 4 kids and my brother is just a year younger than me
Also I will finish 13 AP courses by the time I graduate "</p>

<p>I'm not a big fan of chancing, mainly because it is so unpredictable. As a senior who is witnessing recent college admission "massacres," I can tell you that college admission is the most random process I've seen so far in my academics. So although Norcalguy may think you have an awesome chance, be prepared for the unexpected. I have been admitted to schools I thought were so above my chance of getting in that I was awestruck and couldn't even be joyful because I didn't even know the admission day. I've seen other people with awesome stats, personalities, leadership and fit to schools (among them MIT and Caltech) getting rejected. The process is so random that any predictions cannot have any other role than an ego-amplifier.</p>

<p>However, the fact you are an URM with awesome academics makes you pretty rare in the application. Just don't be cocky and expect top college acceptances to fall on you lap. Even for URM's, it can get pretty random (other URM's, with lower stats will and often can take your spot).</p>

<p>"UCLA has a good Pre-Med program. Or Johns Hopkins, Yet, Johns Hopkins is super hard to get into "</p>

<p>Is JHU a lot better than UCLA for premed?
Including getting research opportunities?
I got into both but I'm reluctant to move all the way to Maryland.</p>

<p>I got into undergrad at UPenn, Northwestern, WashU, and Johns Hopkins. My goal in life is to become a doctor, with some knowledge of finance. Which of these schools would best prepare me for an admission into a top medical school? Any advice would be helpful.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Is JHU a lot better than UCLA for premed?
Including getting research opportunities?
I got into both but I'm reluctant to move all the way to Maryland.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>No it is not. As a matter of fact, Hopkins is not even a good place to do premed because of how cut throat the atmosphere is, plus the fact that the premed committee really tries to weed out those that they think are borderline applicants. </p>

<p>And as far as research is concerned, i am always amused at the emphasis that undergrads "place" on research when they are considering schools. Get over it. The whole thing is really overrated. The kind of "research" involvement that you would be able to have, you can have it literally anywhere.........</p>

<p>i'm waiting on ucsd med scholars but i doubt i'll get that since i didn't feel my interview went well so my choices now are</p>

<p>ucla or berkeley</p>

<p>for premed?
they're both pretty cut throat right? but what about professors, research opportunities, gpa deflation, etc? advice anyone (: thankkkkkyou</p>

<p>FOR PREMED which is better
UCLA or NORTHWESTERN?</p>

<p>My decision is between Williams and Cornell.</p>

<p>Definitely leaning towards Williams.</p>

<p>Go to Williams for premed! It's got (as far as I saw on the internet) an amazing advising system, and the personal attention is a huge factor. You think UCLA will care about the individual as much as Williams? Doubtful.</p>

<p>Does anyone have any first or second hand knowledge about premed programs at these three schools. I understand that Colgate is a lot smaller than UMich and may offer more personalized attention and advisory services, but UMich is a major medical center with a top-rated med school and a major academic hospital. To what extent does a premed program benefit from such major facilities under essentially the same roof?</p>

<p>Hey everyone! I'm interested in colleges with good pre-med (or bio/chem, etc-related) programs in New York, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey. Can anyone recommend good colleges (public/private)? Is there any website that compares the pre-med programs in colleges?</p>

<p>I really want to know more about the following:
Public: Rutgers, Penn State-U Park, SUNY Binghamton/Stony Brook, CUNY (?)
Private: NYU, UPenn, Columbia, Cornell, Drexel</p>

<p>Also, I read an article that said that med schools like humanities majors... I think it's kind of preposterous... What do you guys think? >>Why</a> Medical Schools Like to Accept STS Majors</p>

<p>Thanks in advance!</p>

<p>Hey
I was wondering if I could get some advice on pre-medicine myself.
I have been accepted into the University of Pittsburgh for "pre-med." I live right outside of Pittsburgh and love the city and campus, but I was wondering what their pre-med preparation was like compared to other schools.
I also have the oppertunity to go the Lehigh University for bioengineering. I realize that Lehigh is a more "prestigious" university, but I'm worried that if I go there and study engineering, I will come out with a lower GPA, wasting a ton of money at a private institution (twice as much as Pitt cost), when I could have just gone to Pitt where so much medical research is right there for me (UPMC!) I'm not really sold on Lehigh yet, but I'm afraid of selling myself short by going to Pitt. </p>

<p>Of course Pitt's medical school is amazing (to my standards at least, its not Harvard, but I don't want Harvard Med), but for pre-med... hmmm. Suggestions?</p>

<p>82riceballs, read ALL the stickies at the top of the pre-med forum. You are WAY off base about humanities majors being preposterous!!!!!!!!!</p>

<p>UPenn dual degree at Wharton/Lifescience or Rice or UT Austin for Pre med?
Check this thread, thanks!
<a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/pre-med-topics/695016-help-noob-choseee.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/pre-med-topics/695016-help-noob-choseee.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>I have got accepted into Goucher and Gettysburg College.</p>

<p>I am highly keen on doing pre-med program. With this in mind, which college may be a better choice?</p>

<p>I would really appreciate any sort of help, please.</p>

<p>Which probably has a better pre-med program? Rutgers--New Brunswick (NJ) or Penn State--University Park (PA)? I know they're both strong public universities... but which one has stronger pre-med?</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>Why is Stanford's % so low?</p>

<p>Would it be better to go to Georgetown, NYU, or Dartmouth?</p>

<p>I'm doing pre-med.</p>

<p>$28k/year to UCB vs. $46K/year to Rice vs. $45-$52K (projected) /year to Cornell. </p>

<p>Are the privates worth it??</p>

<p>Re: Why is Stanford's % so low?</p>

<p>It is because many students are from California and it is more difficult to get into the in-state medical schools in California.</p>

<p>Re: Are the privates worth it?</p>

<p>It depends. The advising is better. The research opportunity may be more plentiful. But, percentage wise, top privates tend to have a higher concentration of high achieving (or grade grubbing) students. It may be more difficult to stand out among a group of such students who may be valedictorians, 2300+ SAT, three SAT II all with 800s, and a dozen or more of APs, all with the 5 score. There are no lack of such students who even try to get into introductory courses of the lowest level. Sometimes the purpose of the placement test is to prevent this from happening. (Another example is to prohibit a (almost) native language speaker from taking the same foreign language class which non-native speakers take. I believe that there is such a policy at most top privates, because it is just not fair.)</p>

<p>On the other hand, there are some small "goodies" that you may find at some privates but not at most flagship state universities. For example, I heard (not 100% sure, please correct me if I am not right here) that, for the first semester, Rice freshmen are allowed to drop one course very late in the semester without receiving a "W". I wonder if UCB has such a lenient policy for their freshmen.</p>

<p>So, which is better, private or public? Hard to say. It depends on "fit".</p>

<p>
[quote]
It is because many students are from California and it is more difficult to get into the in-state medical schools in California.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>This is definitely a reason, but I don't think it's the entire reason. From closely watching the Stanford advising team, they are horrendous. I have seen some neglectful programs (UC Berkeley) and some inadequate programs (Harvard) and even some programs which will sabotage some of their own premeds (Hopkins), but I have never seen a program which gives such consistently horrible advice.</p>

<p>AND for a private school with the resources of Stanford to not even provide a committee letter? This is mind-boggling.</p>