Good Pre-Med Schools

<p>Let me preface this with the fact that I HATE you!!! Totally kidding, of course, or I wouldn’t have posted this. Congratulations on not only being so directed at such a young age, but also being capable of paving your path to the future. Really, I think that it’s wonderful. I seem to have missed your state residence, but it seems like numerous people have mentioned Sophie Davis. If so, you’re at an advantage for this program as a NY resident. Northwestern and so many others may sound more “prestigious” based upon names alone. I’m certainly no expert on combined programs, since I didn’t decide to pursue medical school until my late 20’s, when these programs were out of the question.</p>

<p>That said, I cannot speak to knowledge of what will work best for you. I have worked with three extremely talented physicians who are close friends of mine, and all three attended Sophie Davis at different times. I also have some friends who are either in or have graduated from the Stony Brook Scholars for Medicine program. Sophie Davis offers opportunities that are unparalleled, from what I’ve gathered, since it offers you the choice of eight (or more?) medical schools upon completion of your undergraduate studies. </p>

<p>Whatever you choose, I would suggest seeking a program that gives you options. You’re 16 or 17, and you know you WILL be a physician…isn’t that more than you need to know right now? How can you truly decide which school will meet your needs for 8 years, which is actually the next third of your life? Only a select few make it into the SB program, but 4 out of the 6 I know this year are at least slightly ambivalent about spending another 4 years here, even though they’re happy they are guaranteed that slot next year. At least with a program that offers options, you feel like you’re making a choice…you may underestimate it now, but you’ll grow and change in ways you don’t even realize possible in the next few years.</p>

<p>That’s just my opinion. I’m always in awe of people who have that decision to make, especially as I embark on the daunting medical school admissions process! Best of luck :-)</p>

<p>I am an international student. Although I really do not think that is a prob, but I’m taking premed in an unapproved college. How do I get into med school with the fact that I am an international student in an unapproved college?</p>

<p>You have to do some of your college in the US.</p>

<p>Hello everyone,</p>

<p>I’m in my senior year of high school and I have began applying/submitting several applications to colleges such as the University of Washington, Washington State University, BYU Provo, BYU Hawaii, and Pepperdine. I’m quite aware of the pre-med programs at UW and BYU but I am having a hard time finding info on Pepperdine and WSU. Has anyone heard of the acceptance rates from these schools or just in general if they have a decent undergrad med program? I’ve heard that if you attend a school with a low number of med school applicants it can sometimes hinder your chances of getting into med school because it shows the school has a weak program.
Thanks for all your help,
Cameron</p>

<p>hello guys !</p>

<p>i am an international student and i want to know the chances to get into harvard medical school if i get into one of these pre med schools :</p>

<p>Northeastern
Dartmouth
Massachusetts College of Pharmarcy & Health Sciences</p>

<p>Does the fact of ebing in one state with Harvard gives students graduating from them better chances to get into Harvard ?</p>

<p>I hope anyone helps !</p>

<p>Oh by the way when is the application deadline for Dartmouth, because i get a rolling admission information at some web pages, but im not sure !</p>

<p>Chances of getting into Harvard medical school are basically zero for everybody. It’s a very small school. Chances are even lower for international students.</p>

<p>Of the three, probably the only school which consistently sends ANY students to HMS is Dartmouth. Specialized health sciences (like the “Pharmacy and Health Sciences”) are at a particular disadvantage.</p>

<p>HMS doesn’t care about whether you went to college in MA or not.</p>

<p>Dartmouth’s application deadline is January 1.</p>

<p>Thanks you very much bluedevilmike for the information. Oh , by the way Umass Dartmouth application deadline is 1 March, advisably, meaning that you can even apply later.</p>

<p>^^oh, sorry, I thought you meant Dartmouth College in Hanover, New Hampshire.</p>

<p>That’s also what I thought. In that case I need to withdraw my fourth sentence from post #306.</p>

<p>Ok so I wanna be a pediatrician. And I’m really considering going to Johns-Hopkins but I’m not sure if I will get in. So I was just wondering if anyone goes there or a different school thats good. I really need help. Please message me back and let me know.</p>

<p>I recieved full rides to Hofstra and University of Florida. Which school is better for premed?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>HMS’s class is actually big compared to most medical schools. It has ~160 in each class. I’d say Stanford’s and Darthmouth’s medical schools are the ones that should be called very small because they have only ~80 in a class.</p>

<p>You’re right in a relative sense, of course. But 160 in each class out of 80,000 students who take the MCAT is a very small school in absolute terms.</p>

<p>My top schools are U of Pitt and UNC. I have recieved a full tuition scholarship to Pitt, but I have not heard anything about UNC in terms of money. Which do you think would be a better school for me to be at as a premed student. Many people have been telling me Pitt because of its great research and its great med school. </p>

<p>However, UNC at Chapel Hill is much more higher in terms of ranks and its med school is pretty good as well. I also know that going to undergrad at a school does not improve your chances of getting into the med school. Since I’m planning to apply to multiple med schools in the future, would it be better for me to go to the higher ranked school (UNC) or go to a school that is associated with a really good med school (Pitt)?</p>

<p>Which one should I choose?</p>

<p>Both are great. Follow the money. Money equal/close? Go with the one you like best. Both will get you where you want to go.</p>

<p>what is a good school in texas?</p>

<p>Rice is a good school in Texas.</p>

<p>;)</p>

<p>costs equal and everything equal, if a student gets into Rice and UTexas, which would be better to go to? This is NOT prestige question or anything like that. I will apply to these 2 schools regardless, so I just wanna get a general idea from US students/citizens. I am Canadian, but I have established Texas residency, so getting into UT<em>should</em> be much more easier than getting into Rice.</p>

<p>Thanks, and prestige is not a factor in my decisions (ie. not gonna choose Rice over UT just for the fact that it is ranked higher) Thank you.</p>

<p>I consider myself lucky enough to be humbled by financial burdens and while I could get into many of those Ivy schools, I have limited my search to cheaper schools. I live in MD and am considering College Park, SMCM, and College of William and Mary. I have researched more than enough to know that the best pre-med schools are not the top undergrad schools. JHU, Harvard, Penn, Cornell, Brown, MIT, None of these schools help you in any way except drain your money. Medical schools do not weigh colleges any different. If you have a 4.0 in your pre-reqs at WVU (no offense, West Virginians) and a 4.0 At Harvard, you both have equal chance at med school. Also a 3.5 at Big Ivy school is not equal to a 3.9 at average state school. </p>

<p>If you want to have to best chances of getting into a medical school do the following things.</p>

<p>1.) Take APs in as many of the following: Calculus, Chemistry, Physics, Biology.
2.) No matter how well you do on the APs, take those classes again in your freshman year to build a strong GPA.
3.) Choose your undergrad school based on which is the a.) Best deal, cheapest price for best education, and b.) a school where you will be a better than average student.
4.) Try to make a deal with your parents or whomever is paying for your education that if you go to a cheaper school, they will contribute a certain amount of money towards medical school.
5.) Understand that even though you might have been able to go to a big name school, that you have a better chance than many students at those schools, and you will be much more financially stable in the long run. </p>

<p>I understand the temptation to limit yourself to the big-name schools, but unless you know you can get a more than solid GPA, you will only be hurting yourself.</p>