Good Pre-Med Schools

<p>Not sure about DePaul</p>

<p>If you can survive MIT (many bio majors there are premed and have 3.6+ GPAs) you’ll do fine for med school. </p>

<p>I’d argue that Penn is the best place for premed, but I’m biased :)</p>

<p>^^ Yes, you are biased.</p>

<p>Penn is the best school I’ve ever seen on the only metric I really value: GPA of students who are eventually admitted to medical school.</p>

<p>^Meaning that they have a very low or very high GPA?</p>

<p>Very low. You want kids to be getting into medical school despite low undergraduate GPAs. Of course, it’d be even better if you could get them in with low GPAs despite giving out high GPAs, but I don’t have any data at all for that.</p>

<p>Basically, here’s what I’d want:
(Average GPA in premed classes) - (Average BCPM GPA of eventual medical school admits) = BDMpoints</p>

<p>More BDMpoints is good. (The next step would be to control for the selectivity of the schools they’re going to, but that’s really starting to ask too much.)</p>

<p>Hi. I’m a rising senior in high school and i’ve been looking up colleges with pre-med programs. From what I saw in this thread, people talk mostly about ivies with premed. What about universities with premed programs that automatically get you into medical school as long as you keep a certain gpa and have an above average mcat grade? i’ve been looking into the 7 yr premed programs in Boston University, CUNY- Sophie Davis, Stony Brook, Rice, Drexel, Tufts, etc. Can anyone please give me advice on these programs/schools?</p>

<p>What kind of extra curriculars do you have? Any medically-related? How are your grades/SAT scores (and rigor of curriculum)?</p>

<p>Which of the following colleges have the best pre med curriculum in terms of rigor, MCAT preparation, med school placement and all other correlating factors?</p>

<p>Vassar
Bates
Colby
Connecticut
Trinity
Lafayette
U of Richmond
Colgate
St. Lawrence
Kenyon
Dickinson
Reed
Colorado
Washington & Lee
Oberlin
Grinnell</p>

<p>An honest and detailed explanation would be much appreciated :D</p>

<p>anyone?..please</p>

<p>No one is going to be able to do what you ask. Visit each school if you really want to know, otherwise ask individually about each school in the appropriate forum.</p>

<p>This website may or may not be legit.</p>

<p><a href=“The Best College Rankings and Lists | Inside College | CollegeXpress”>The Best College Rankings and Lists | Inside College | CollegeXpress;

<p>Hey,</p>

<p>I mostly have been lurking on here but I figured that I’d post. These are my reach schools (I have safes so don’t sugarcoat it). I am looking for realistic answers.</p>

<p>Cornell
UPenn
Johns Hopkins
Tufts
UMiami BS/MD Med Program
UConn BS/MD Med Program</p>

<p>What do you think my chances are for these schools?</p>

<p>I am a 12th grader in the IB program at a fairly well respected public high school.</p>

<p>2110 SATs (770 in math)
33 ACTs
91.75 unweighted GPA
96.32 weighted GPA</p>

<p>Major Activities:</p>

<p>National Merit Commended
IB Diploma
National Honor Society and all Subject area Honor Societies
President of Youth Group Chapter
In major youth orchestra in area (principal bassoon, played in carnegie hall)
Volunteering in nearby hospital
Shadowed a cardiologist
Doing minor research since 11th grade</p>

<p>Other:</p>

<p>Studied in Israel for a semester in sophomore year
Participated in a community service teen tour</p>

<p>By the way, I’d like to say that this is a fantastic community of people and has been a great resource in this process. So thank you for that.</p>

<p>You have some pretty good shots, though I would say that your SAT and ACT are a bit on the low side (consider retaking?). ALso, what is up with that GPA? UW only goes up to 4.0.</p>

<p>I would say you have a good shot at Hopkins though, since their undergrad is a lot less selective than their Med School. The BA/MDs will be tough though.</p>

<p>I suppose that a 91.75 would be equal to around a 3.2? And a 96.32 would be somewhere around a 3.7. I took the SAT and ACT twice and don’t feel the need to take again. It might hurt me anyway. By the way, if you’d like to give me any more advice, I started a thread so that I don’t make this one off topic:
<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/what-my-chances/791331-please-give-pre-med-hopeful-some-advice-new-post.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/what-my-chances/791331-please-give-pre-med-hopeful-some-advice-new-post.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Thanks for your input. After some research, my top 3 are Tufts, Vanderbilt, and Brandeis in that order. Both Boston and Nashville are great, but it sounds like the Vandy curve might hurt my GPA for med school admissions. I’m visiting Tufts soon though so I’ll see how that goes. As for Vandy, I won’t be visiting for at least a month and I’ve already seen Brandeis. One of the other big factors is the Jewish community. I don’t care how many Jews there are but rather how close/ active in Hillel they are. None of these schools seem to be lacking in this aspect anyway (after all, any good pre med school will have its share of Jews :)).</p>

<p>Can anyone give advice on the pros and cons of pre-med at Princeton and MIT?</p>

<p>Cons for both would be that they have grade deflation and are generally considered to be a little rougher for pre-meds than a lot of top schools. Pros ares pretty obvious.</p>

<p>For both schools:</p>

<p>Pros
-You will be extremely prepared for the MCATs (very important)
-Both schools are very prestigious
-Top notch pre med advising</p>

<p>Cons
-Both schools are known for deflating grades
-The weed out classes will be rigorous
-If you take MIT engineering classes, prepare to have your GPA killed (unless you’re brilliant)</p>

<p>Basically, if you know that you are extremely bright and 100% motivated to study a LOT, then it is better to go to MIT/Princeton. If you have any suspicion that you will not come out with a GPA above 3.4, than don’t go. I’ve settled on some of the “new ivies” because they won’t kill my grades but will be fine at preparing me for the MCAT. Good luck with whatever you do though.</p>

<p>Thanks for the help mmmcdowe and dmbfan1192, I’ll keep those in mind as I finalize my application list. If there are any though, could you tell me any sizable difference between the pre-med programs at the two schools, either positive or negative?</p>

<p>Grade deflation at P’ton? Are you guys for real? </p>

<p>Sure, perhaps in comparison to Harvard, but 35% A’s in science courses is still pretty sweet.</p>

<p>Rutgers…jhu…montclair… Pennstate…upenn</p>

<p>dmb, 91.75 (rounded to a 92) is pretty close to an a-, if not that, which is a 3.7. 96 would probably then be about a 3.85 (however if that is weighted it might be very different if it’s a 96/120 or whatever it goes up to as oppose to a 96/100).</p>