Good Pre-Med Schools

<p>Well, that's assuming you can get into Phoenix.</p>

<p>Ursinus? Are you sure??? Has mostly bio (pre-med majors) going in--50% cut in intro class, and 90% of those accepted into med school.</p>

<p>don't knwo if this was anwered before.. but UCLA or berk?</p>

<p><a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/pre-med-topics/202936-good-pre-med-schools.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/pre-med-topics/202936-good-pre-med-schools.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>yeah, do you know the page about ucla/berk?</p>

<p>EDIT</p>

<p>Nvm! thx.</p>

<p>S has been accepted to UW, (didn't apply to honors), Pacific lutheran U, Pepperdine, Whitman and Willamette. Has scholarship offers at PLU and Willamette. Finds whitman to isolated and "hippy", willamette too small physically pepperdine is very expensive, uw is too big, PLU is what is left. What will do to his changes for pre-med?</p>

<p>is UW the University of Washington? I would pick that one but I don't know how to change your son's mind. You'll have to do that.</p>

<p>I'd have picked either Whitman or Willamette. The size of a campus is really, really a bad reason to avoid a school.</p>

<p>im down to ucsd and usc for premed, majoring in neuroscience.
which is the better path to choose?</p>

<p>help, please?</p>

<p>I don't think you can wrong with either. UCSD has the better neuroscience program, but that alone isn't going to make the difference when it comes to applying to med school. Where do you feel more comfortable? Which is cheaper? You'll almost certainly have to get loans for med school...you might want to save money as an undergrad.</p>

<p>USC is cheaper by 2,300, but that's parent contribution, and my parents can afford that.
btw--did you mean med school? i think you accidentally said law school... hahah its ok
thanks for your input
i was getting really queasy because I gave up Cal and USC for UCSD--i just wanted to see if my decision was good.</p>

<p>haha...yeah I meant med school. I think you made a fine choice and I'm not just saying that because I went to UCSD. Every med school admissions officer is well aware of UCSD's strong science reputation. If you get the grades and test scores then the doors will open for you...and if it makes you feel any better I chose UCSD over a Cal Regents Scholarship. It was just a better fit for me.</p>

<p>quick question, so when is it a good time to start preparing for the MCATs????</p>

<p>Three months before you take the thing.</p>

<p>I've been trying to figure this out for a while now, and hopefully someone here can give me a straight answer. I'm an undergrad at northwestern currently applying to med school, and i hear from people "undergrad school doesn't matter that much" all the way to "they def. take into account where you go". This affects me quite a bit, because I'm in an honors program here (Integrated Science Program) which has really hard classes where it's difficult to get high grades. I still have a 3.75 overall and science gpa, but I'm afraid that the top schools won't really consider me given that their average gpas are like 3.8 and 3.9. What are my chances at the top schools - should i even bother applying? MCAT 36 btw - i know numbers aren't everything, but i know they're the most important.</p>

<p>you're certainly competitive enough numbers-wise to apply, I don't see that you have much to worry about. It's tough to say that you'll get into one of the really competitive schools, but you're certainly in the ballpark if the rest of your application is in order.</p>

<p>Thanks. I know i have a decent shot of getting in somewhere, but the heart of my question is whether or not i should both applying to the top schools since their gpa medians are so high. Ergo - I'm also asking how much they take undergrad institution and undergrad program into account.</p>

<p>when I said competitive numbers-wise, I meant to the top schools. Your numbers are by no means out of the normal range.</p>

<p>Will you guys please give me input on whether the following schools would be good choices for premed? Which of these schools would best prepare me for medical school and have the highest rates of sending students into medical school?</p>

<ul>
<li>UCLA</li>
<li>Duke</li>
<li>Stanford</li>
<li>UPenn</li>
<li>Johns Hopkins</li>
<li>Wash. U. in St. Louis</li>
<li>Brown</li>
<li>University of Chicago</li>
</ul>