GPA "wiggle room" for OOS scholarship

<p>A good friend’s DS is an OOS student with a HS GPA through his junior year of 3.48 and a SAT score (math and reading) in the 1250 to 1320 range. As most of us know, a minimum of a 3.5 GPA is required for the “Collegiate Scholarship” of $3500/year for four years.</p>

<p>Is there any rounding up from a 3.48 to a 3.5 GPA considering how very-very close it is? </p>

<p>Any suggestions on someone to contact at UA for consideration to round it up and consider any mitigating circumstances? </p>

<p>Afterall, UA will still get a hefty OOS tuition payment from this student. What I mean is that if 0.02 is standing between an OOS tuition revenue stream versus losing him to a school in Georgia where he qualifies for HOPE scholarship, it would make business sense to round up, right? </p>

<p>I know, I will probably get the “if an exception is made for him, then…”; but I thought I would ask. </p>

<p>Plus I have a vested interest, he would be a roommate for my DS. ;-)</p>

<p>Since none of the posters here work for the UA we cannot answer for the UA other than what is officially posted as a guideline, but this might be a helpful link:</p>

<p>[FAQ</a> - Undergraduate Scholarships - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://scholarships.ua.edu/faq/]FAQ”>Frequently Asked Questions – Scholarships | The University of Alabama)</p>

<p>Is the 3.48 weighted or unweighted? If it’s the latter and his high school weights his GPA at 3.5 or higher, you’re home free, per this: [FAQ</a> - Undergraduate Scholarships - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://scholarships.ua.edu/faq/]FAQ”>Frequently Asked Questions – Scholarships | The University of Alabama)</p>

<p>I don’t understand this statement from the FAQ:</p>

<p>

If the application deadline is December 1st, then are the “automatic” ones only the people who have submitted their applications well in advance of that date so as to have had an admission decision made BY that deadline?</p>

<p>I don’t know if there’s a change, but in the past the way it worked was this…</p>

<p>If domestic students applied by Dec 1 and submitted the scholarship app, then they were fine.</p>

<p>However, int’l students had to be accepted by Dec 1st. </p>

<p>Don’t know if there’s been a change. Since Bama does take the Nov SAT for scholarship consideration, I don’t see how they can demand a Dec 1 acceptance.</p>