Graduate Admissions Chances?

<p>Hey all, new member and first post!</p>

<p>I am an Iowa State University Materials Engineering graduate, with a gpa of 3.02. Not stellar, I admit. I have about a years worth of programming experience from various internships, 1 year in a solar cell fabrication/research position that I worked post graduate, and when I will be applying, a year of experience running a metallurgy lab for a fabrication branch of a large company.</p>

<p>I recently took my GRE, and received a 680V/800Q. I'm still waiting to hear back on the Analytical, but I think it went well enough.</p>

<p>I'm starting to eye schools for PhD Material Science programs - I have two faculty members from my Alma Mater that would be willing and able to write stellar letters of recommendation.</p>

<p>I was wondering what my chances would be like for the following schools:</p>

<p>U of WI - Madison
U of CA - Davis
U of UT - Salt Lake City
Colorado School of Mines - Golden
MI Tech - Houghton
MI State - East Lansing
NC State - Raleigh
U of WA - Seattle</p>

<p>I know my GPA is likely to be my biggest barrier, but I would be VERY interested in at least considering Madison, if I could get in, as well as any of the other "reach" schools.</p>

<p>Thanks for your help!</p>

<p>You need to discuss your choices with your advisor and others who know you in your major. Grad school is an entirely different ballgame than undergrad. Your statement of purpose is different than those college essays- get info from schools on what they want to know. Only someone in your field would know the relative strengths of your program, ie how much weight it will carry in the eyes of other schools. Cutbacks across the nation affect schools- there are more students competing for fewer spots even if a school such as UW has the same number of paid positions. Your professors writing the recommendations may be willing to praise you for some programs and not others- unlike HS these people know each other and their reputation is at stake if they recommend someone who turns out to be less than expected. Bottom line- get advice from your dept.</p>

<p>As a quick followup, I got my GRE scores, and was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of some solid PhD Materials Science & Engineering programs:
3.02 GPA
680 V/800 Q/4 W GRE</p>

<p>I’m planning on the following schools:
U of WI - Madison (Reach school)
U of WA - Seattle (Reach school)
CO School of Mines
U of UT - Salt Lake City
UC Davis
MI Tech</p>

<p>I’m hoping to get into at least 2, but I know my GPA is questionable. I’m hoping to bank on 3 years of work experience, 1 of which was in a research position.</p>

<p>I’m really just looking for feedback on any of the schools (i.e. “You won’t get in”, “you will likely get in”, and “did you ever consider school ‘x’”?)</p>

<p>Thanks in advance, guys.</p>

<p>Unlike undergrad, for grad schools you are admitted directly by a given program. Your best bet is to discuss programs with professors who know you. They can tell you to which programs they would write letters of recommendation for you- these will be the ones to apply to. Pose your questions, with a much briefer post, perhaps, on the grad school forum.</p>