Graduate Institute, and GI vs. Undergrad

<p>Hello!</p>

<p>So I am a current college student working towards a B.A. in History (with a smattering of random minors) at a small, fairly unknown, private school in upstate NY. Back when I was doing my undergraduate search SJC was one of my top interests. But for whatever reason (I can't remember clearly why, likely a fear of an "unknown" program type, concern over cost, etc) I never finished my application process with SJC. Now I've come back and I'm looking at SJC with more of an interest than ever before. Of particular interest to me is the Graduate Institute program. </p>

<p>I was wondering if anyone on here had any familiarity with the program, at either campus. Does it seem to be on par with the undergraduate program (with regards to the depth and value of the education)? Do the graduate students seem to be fairly socialable? (or, in general, what is the social scene like? Do undergrads and graduates mingle at all, or are things seperate. I've heard the atmosphere of both campuses [but especially Santa Fe] described as quirky...to what extent? And does that quirkiness extend to the graduate institute as well?) How is the transition from undergrad in a typical institution to SJC? Really just any information at all on the program would be fantastic. (I've requested additional information, but I'm just highly interested and a tad impatient at times, so I'm eager to gather some information)</p>

<p>Also, and this one is probably a shot in the dark...has anyone on here completed both programs? Would I be better served by just going to the graduate institute, or would it be worth the four more years (with debt to pile onto my debt from this undergrad) in order to get the full experience? </p>

<p>Thanks ahead of time.</p>

<p>And I forgot to mention, transfering/leaving my current school isn’t really an option. I’m tied in to certain athletic obligations and transfering would go against promises I’ve made to several people whose opinions I value highly. On a slightly off topic note, those same athletic obligations mean I will be at my current school for a total of five years (2 remaining starting in the fall), which adds a certain urgency to the undergrad vs. graduate institute question, especially with regards to cost. </p>

<p>If you want any other information, feel free to ask!</p>

<p>The undergrad program is pretty different from the GI program. The latter is more of an abbreviated version of the intense undergrad program. They don’t cover nearly as many authors or texts and the structure of the semesters is different. I would suggest getting in touch with the admission counselor in the GI program (on the Santa Fe campus) if you’re still interested – she went through both the undergrad and graduate programs herself–so she could give you some great insight. </p>

<p>I’m a St. John’s staffer who starts grad school here in the fall. The program is outstanding, and you certainly wouldn’t be unsatisfied if you just did the Master’s program. There would be too much overlap in the curriculum for someone that’s not an admissions staffer to do both.</p>

<p>My advice is, finish your degree and do NOT go into more debt unless you are certain the job you have lined up after graduation carries a six-figure paycheck. (You’re probably not one of those people who knows now they’re going to work at daddy’s company and make bank, so you probably don’t know what kind of job you’ll get after graduation. Play it safe and take out a manageable level of debt.) I have 69k in principal, and my student loan payments are more than rent per month. It’s difficult to be a young person without a high-paying job and swing that kind of balance without sacrificing a lot.</p>

<p>Undergrads and GI’s mix some, like at concerts, lectures and movie showings etc., but I gather that the “party scenes” are mostly separate, if that’s more the social life you were asking about. The quirkiness can be summed up mostly by saying this school just attracts intellectual individualists. (And those hippy kids with ukeleles who don’t wear shoes.) That stereotype is true much more in the undergrad division than the GI. Many GI’s have professional experience, and most aren’t of the age where uniquely expressing themselves is paramount. They still think outside the box though!</p>

<p>Hope that helps.</p>