Graduating in three years?

I graduated a term early but I was self funding college so I didn’t have to deal with my parents on this decision. I worked in the schools…so really couldn’t start a real job until the fall. I had a guaranteed and well paying job waiting tables that I did until I moved for my job.

I don’t regret it at all. But it was my decision…not that of my parents.

@mountainsoul she will apply in May, at the end of the semester.

1 Like

This is true, my daughter did the 5 year (well 4 1/2) only because she needed the extra credits anyway to take her cpa exam. She took 18 credits each semester.

Back in the day, I graduated a semester early. It was helpful financially and I was very ready to move on from college social life. Employers did take note and commented on my initiative - another benefit to consider if she is planning to go right into a field and not grad school.

2 Likes

My daughter will have enough credits to graduate in three years, but will be using the fourth year to earn credits needed for and to qualify for the CPA exam. Had she selected a more expensive school, that may not have been an option, so she picked accordingly.

For what it is worth, when I was in school, one of my classmates graduated at age 20 in three years. It had no negative impact on his relationships: he remains part of the old college friend group. And he got a jump start on a career that took him around the world and led to more lasting friendships and interesting experiences around the globe.

3 Likes

For what it’s worth, my daughter could graduate in 3 years but is choosing instead to double major/double minor. I’m fine with it, but we’ve been saving for quite a while and a school at 2x the cost might be different. Everyone’s situation is different.

2 Likes

@RichInPitt if she stays for a 4th year she would do an accelerated master’s degree. Otherwise she will graduate in 3 years. The tuition is just so expensive!!

1 Like

That is a very expensive 5 year masters degree, my daughter doesn’t think very much of hers, even though she needed the extra credits anyway she thinks it was the best use of her time.

@Mjkacmom she would get the master’s in 4 years, so actually not too bad a deal. 4 years for undergrad is another story…

My daughter got hers in 4 1/2 years, definitely research the 5 year master programs to determine if they’re worth an extra year. My daughter had to take credits after getting the 120 needed for her bachelors, an extra 30 I believe to be eligible for cpa exams, I think she would pre leaned towards another certification if she did it again instead of the 5 year masters.

It is an accelerated master’s degree so she would be done in 4 years total (BSE and MSE together). Probably worth it but she needs to apply to be accepted.

Accounting/CPA qualification is different in that it has a 150 credit requirement- all of which can be at UG level. To this end, there is a low ROI on a graduate degree in this field, i.e., the CPA qualification is the benchmark qualification.
This is very different than a Marketing or Finance UG, for example, completing a specialty degree in Analytics or SCM

Can random community college courses be used to bring the number of credits to 150 for this purpose?

typically- yes and many people take this path if they completed required classes via a traditional UG program, although it is best to verify by state: CPA Exam | NASBA
Also, many states are considering rolling back the 150 to 120, but I cannot confirm if any have taken this step yet.
NJ standards:
You may qualify for Licensure based on the following requirements:

• Completed a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution, AND
  • Completed at least 150 semester hours of general college level credit, AND
  • Completed at least 24 semester hours in accounting courses, AND
  • Completed at least 24 semester hours in general business courses

That’s an option - she could do the 4+1 in 4 years, but TBD.

As noted, everyone’s financial situation is different. She is the 2nd/last in college, we saved for quite a while, and Purdue is substantially cheaper than many of the schools she had been looking at, so we have no issues with 4 years.

1 Like

My son is doing CS and planning to graduate in 3 yrs. What may change that decision are considerations related to internships. Anyway, it seems quite common. So, we are not really against it.

1 Like

In the OP’s case, where finances are the primary driver, I think it’s perfectly fine to graduate early.

In some cases though, and in some majors, graduating early takes away some of the ability for more depth of classes.

Yeah don’t get a Masters in Accounting it is not worth it. Maybe a Masters in Tax if you know for sure you are going to work in Tax. You are better off starting an MBA. Many CPAs go off into private industry and after many years the CPA doesn’t matter. Good to put on a resume that you are licensed or even you passed the test way back in time.

One thought is get a Masters in Education in the area of Business. My wife did that so she could be a Business Mgr for a school district. Lots of benefits and perks working for a school district. Tons of vacation and holidays. Pension. Much cheaper Health Insurance.

My middle son is in this same situation- CS major who can finish early but has not lined up an internship for the summer. For this reason, he is considering either going direct to 1 yr graduate program or spending a semester or two adding another major/minor and boosting GPA in hopes CS job market stabilizes. To us, it is worth an extra year of tuition to make certain he does not stunt future earning potential

1 Like