Graduation presents / protocols in your area?

Formal announcements have been a thing for a long time. My mom graduated HS in 1975 and had announcements, as did I and all of my cousins and we’re not all from the same regions. They were all pretty much the same — an embossed folded card from Jostens or a similar company, with a little engraved card with the graduate’s name, and a formal double envelope. Including a wallet-sized senior yearbook photo was also common for my generation (class of 1994). I have no memory of anyone I know sending college graduation announcements. I’m a graphic designer with my own stationery company so I’ll definitely be designing and sending custom announcements out to our family and a few close friends for D22’s graduation next month. I’m also ok with giving grad gifts to family or children of close friends. Usually, $50 if a child of a close friend. I grew up in Southern California and my husband is from Chicago. Our families and upbringings are very different and we both think this is a normal practice, it’s a celebration of a life milestone like a wedding or a baptism. My grandparents gave me luggage when I graduated, which I think is a great gift idea.

D was a member of the (doomed) class of 2020 so… We ordered a lawn sign that said along the lines of congratulations “kid” “high school name” class of 2020, “college name” bound. The one set of local grandparents came for a cookout. No announcements (which D sees as just a money grab) but she got checks from close friends and family who knew anyway.

In before times, families in our town would rent party tents and have huge parties, 2-3 different ones every weekend all summer and kids would go from one to another as schedules allowed. Kinda glad we missed out on all that, TBH.

A post was split to a new thread: 2023 Graduation presents / protocols in your area?