Greek Life at Bama?

I am considering coming to Bama and rushing a fraternity, but I have been told that there is much of an old money southern traditional culture, which can be seen in the Old Row vs New Row fraternities and is extremely exclusive. As an out of state student with no legacy connections whatsoever, would I have any chance at getting a bid from a decent fraternity? I’m rather shy and not the most social person, which also adds to my worries.

What do you call a “decent fraternity?” Frankly, only you can decide that. Yes, there are fraternities that are difficult to join without connections. There are at every school. And there are fraternities that are open to OOS students. Most of them are decent. All of them are open to OOS to some extent - they’d better be, with 60% of the student population from OOS.

“Formal rush” for fraternities is a joke. You contact the fraternities well before the summer you start classes and tell them you’re interested. They may or may not respond by inviting you to a party of some sort that spring and summer. Bids are given then. By the time “formal rush” takes place, most fraternities have their pledge classes stocked. In some way it’s better than sorority recruitment, because it’s more informal. In other ways it sucks, because you don’t get a chance to look at every fraternity.

This is how fraternity rush works at many colleges, not just Alabama.

FYI, OP - only around 20% (25% tops) of incoming freshmen men join a fraternity. It can be a great thing for those who are interested. But there are plenty of other great organizations to get involved in / plenty of other activities / if you opt to not join a fraternity.