Grinnell vs U of Arizona vs U of Zurich for CS undergraduate degree

BTW, you were asking about various CS options for your son last year. Did he turn them all down and take a gap year or is this a different son?

US medical care and insurance is the most expensive in the world, so do not assume that the costs will be similar.

This could be a huge difference. Healthcare is more expensive in the US, both insurance and the actual procedure costs, than anywhere else in the world. Switzerland is certainly up there though. The price of insurance in each situation is the very next thing I’d figure out. The way we do it here isn’t like any other country in the world. The system is very convoluted and can be challenging to navagate.

@eyemgh
Two days ago for me the answer also was easy, Zurich. But yesterday he was admitted to Grinnell and that pushed me to doubts. I will explain why.
Grinnell is need-aware for internationals. I confident they admitting very few international who need essential FinAid. My son they admitted with 44500$ grant per year. I really appreciated this.
And based on this I think that, for the first, they really want to see my son as student, and for the second, their opinion is that he very good fitting to Grinnell.
If they think that my son good fitting to college, so may be college very good fitting to my son? May be that really HIS place? And Grinnell as I know really good.
But may be that just my fantasy?

To get an H-1B visa, you have to be (provisionally) hired by an employer willing to sponsor you for the H-1B visa. Due to the cost and hassle of that, most desirable-to-work-for companies will only do that for the most desirable non-US-citizen/PR candidates, who typically have MA/MS or PhD degrees (and higher degree makes it more likely that the H-1B visa will be approved).

The exceptions are the low end IT outsourcing companies, but they and the jobs are not that desirable, and they are probably not hiring new US university graduates anyway.

For medical insurance Grinnell already gave him price 1770$ per year. That is not critical amount for me. And in Swiss he also wouldn’t get insurance for free

@ucbalumnus
Thank you for clarification. But does I understanding correct that final visa distribution between those who got sponsorship is by lottery? So at least partly result depend only from luck?

BTW, @eyemgh, the University of Zurich isn’t ETH Zurich, though it seems like the son may be able to take classes at ETH Zurich.

@PurpleTitan
Yes, that he is. Thank you that you remember.
He was admitted to USC, CWRU, U of Toronto, U of Melbourne … and turn them all down. They appearred too expensive for me. And defferal from Harvard as a souvenir :slight_smile:
Generally that wasn’t just gap year. But that is long story.

https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/temporary-workers/h-1b-specialty-occupations-and-fashion-models/h-1b-fiscal-year-fy-2020-cap-season describes the process. Note that the H-1B US advanced degree exception means that those graduating with US MA/MS or PhD degrees are more likely to get approved, as well as more likely to get (provisionally) hired to be sponsored in the first place.

Yes, it is. Though UZH is also very good. And as I got by Swiss rules student of any Swiss public U have right to study one or even two semesters in other Swiss U. Definitely I already dreaming about semesters in ETH. But I don’t know exactly how this system work, so not confident

OP, it’s pretty clear that the US schools, particularly Grinnell, are your preference. But nobody here can give you solid advice regarding visa/resident status, etc etc issues. You’d be well advised to consult with a US attorney who specializes in immigration law.

USA or Swiss schools is my preference. That statement will be more accurate

I believe that several regular posters have substantial knowledge about US immigration practices with respect to student visas, but the problem is the current political situation in the US which makes the process unclear & risky.

Probably better to apply for a student visa as a grad student in a STEM designated discipline with a STEM undergraduate degree in hand.

Canada is much easier than USA for students both for student visas and for work visas, as well as for immigration for those with STEM qualifications.

Thank you for that advice, but he haven’t big interest to Canada for the first. And if he will decide to immigrate to Canada after graduation, he will easy do it and without education in Canadian university. Perfect English, perfect for immigration age, grade from world-recognized university (doesn’t matter will it be US or Swiss) will give him enough immigration points. No need in addon from Canadian education

@Alezz: But you are missing my main point = relying on a student and/or work visa from the US is risky & uncertain in the current political climate.

Universities have little to no authority with respect to the granting of student visas in the US.

Also, with respect to Canada, immigration laws & rules & preferences change, so adding points for attending a Canadian university just makes the permission to live & work in Canada even more likely.

Also, there must be some interest in Canada or your son would not have applied to the University of Toronto last year. (I understand that it was too expensive.)

My advice remains to take the offer from Zurich & take as many courses as possible at neighboring ETH.

That was due to their promises of full-ride scholarship. Not because of so big interest to Canada

It’s really important to understand that this is a myth. Yes, fit is important, but once those parameters are defined, every option let through the screen will have strengths and weaknesses.

We all worry about this as parents, but it was really brought home to me by my son. After he’d been in his program for a term, we visited him. I asked if he felt it was the best choice now that he’d been there for a bit. His response was illuminating. He said “I like it here a lot, but honestly, I would have been fine at any of the schools I applied to.”

@Alezzz, you have a problem in that you want a guaranteed predicted future for your son.
No one on this site can do that.

You seem to want the people, on this site, to tell you that the US schools will work out for your son and your family, and that he will stay in the US.
No. No one can tell you that.

What several people have said is that wanting to stay in the US, past his internship time, is not a good risk. He would have to be sponsored and that’s not easy to do in the United States at this time.

If your child chooses a US school, you need to be aware that international students are guests of the United States. Once they finish their degree and internships, they are expected to return home. This is the reality. There are no guarantees that a company would want to sponsor him, to remain in the US, and that’s what everyone is trying to tell you.
When your son goes for his visa interview, and he indicates that he hopes to stay permanently in the United States, his visa will be denied and he won’t be able to go to school, at all, in the US.

You don’t seem to want him to go to school in Switzerland but this seems to be the best option.

@“aunt bea”, when someone says “USA or Swiss schools is my preference”, I take it to mean that US or Swiss schools (and thus employment after graduation) are their preference.