Grinnell vs U of Arizona vs U of Zurich for CS undergraduate degree

@theloniusmonk , did you read my post #99? I only pointed out advantages and disadvantages of each choice, Grinnell or Zurich, as they pertained to the son’s specific situation.

As for what makes the LAC experience special for a kid that actually has the luxury of choosing a school for the experience, I am not really qualified to comment. I know a lot about how different higher education systems compare across countries and continents, but since I never was a student at a US LAC, only ever visited friends there, I wouldn’t want to comment specifically on how that experience might play out for the OP’s son.

In any case, the OP made it clear that while he would love the pay for the best fit for his son, the overwhelming concern was which options a degree from each institution would give his son concerning his immigration status and work permit in various countries across the world.

@Alezzz, I hope you’ll stay around anyway. I love your pragmatic viewpoints and how you express them.

Hello!

Three years ago, I got a lot of good advice here. Though life of my son went other way, and he studies in Swiss now, you helped us very much with understanding of life and learn in your country, where we never were and probably never will be, and as the result to make right choice. So one more time I want to say, “Thank You!” to everybody who spent time for helping me.

Maybe for somebody will be interesting to know end of story, or better let’s say continuation of story. All was difficult as usual, with closed borders, closed consulates and desperate efforts to get visa. But happy end, in several days before deadline visa was ready and my son appeared in U of Zurich in time to start his BS Software Systems study. From that moment all is going with no hassle. He is happy and with the country, and with university, enjoying hiking and monobike driving in mountains, and want to try alpinism. He worked in UZH one semester as TA, after second year make internship in local software company and then this company invited him for part time work as programmer.

So all is going well. He already works as professional and now close to the end of his BS program. Good moment to think what to select for MS study. Obvious option is to continue with Software Systems, and nothing wrong with Software Systems. My son like this profession and good in it. But Artificial Intelligence now blowing minds, and my impression it is so break_through_long_trend_big_money option that maybe it has sense to jump in those speeding train without long thinking? Especially if you can easy do it. But I don’t work with AI so maybe my impression is wrong, and it is not so budding?

Please be so kind to help me again. What is your opinion? I want to give my son good advice, as I managed to do three years ago with your help. Target remain the same – better future for my son.

Software Systems vs Artificial Intelligence, what is better for MS study?

Both programs are available in UZH for MS, and he can easy enter and this and those. That is only about selection.

If somebody have interest to living and study in Switzerland please ask, I will try to answer.

6 Likes

Thank you so much for updating, I had been wondering how things are going. Absolutely no idea about your question, but I’m happy that your son is happy.

2 Likes

Dear Tigerle. Big Thanks personally to you for your support! Good luck, my friend!

1 Like