Hampshire (visits and more)

<p>I have no real idea why kids are rejected. I don’t think it is a numbers thing. I do know by the Common Data set that the two most important criteria are the application essays and personal qualities/character (look at section C). <a href=“http://www.hampshire.edu/presidentsoffice/files/HC_CDS_1011.pdf[/url]”>http://www.hampshire.edu/presidentsoffice/files/HC_CDS_1011.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>I am pretty sure that is why my kid was accepted. Her main common app essay was fine, not showcasing her real voice or anything special. But her supplemental essays really showed her quirky, engaged, curious, and intelligent qualities. She really does exemplify the school motto: To know is not enough. She saw something she thought was bad (her brand new school was not going to have an on campus library) and she forged ahead to fix it and make sure it stayed fixed over her four years. (She created and maintained a school library) She is not an activist in big movements, she just makes her little corner of the world better in small, quiet ways. Also, she pretty much met most of these criteria and it shown through in her supplement and mini common app essays: [Clues</a> You Are A Future Hampshire Student](<a href=“http://www.hampshire.edu/admissions/4730.htm]Clues”>Success After Hampshire | Hampshire College) Not sure if that is helpful?</p>

<p>C21: 46 of 59 accepted Early Decision, 78%. </p>

<p>I’m thinking this is “much ado about nothing” (ah, Shake and Bake–another thing that she loves about Hampshire), but her AP English teacher gave some ambiguous feedback about her essay. DD had quoted some of her own lyrics, pointing out her worldview that there is value in nonconformity. The last line of the essay: “An offbeat rhythm sometimes accompanies the most authentic and inspired song.”</p>

<p>Well, you’d think that would be a pretty good essay for Hampshire. Basically, it stands up and waves the school flag. But the English teacher (whose OWN daughter went to Hampshire, for heaven’s sake!) said, “You’re taking a big risk, describing yourself as offbeat and a misfit…but it does suit you.”</p>

<p><em>Sigh.</em> I’m sure in December it will all be moot, but the “risk” part makes her feel like maybe the teacher knows something she doesn’t about her chances. More <em>sigh</em>.</p>

<p>This is what Hampshire says they are looking for (<a href=“Apply to Hampshire | Hampshire College):%5B/url%5D”>Apply to Hampshire | Hampshire College):</a></p>

<pre><code>Rigor of the high school program
Academic performance
Evidence of a critical and analytical thought process
Quality of writing
Passion for learning
Demonstrated initiative and follow-through
Activities and community involvement
Ability to enrich our College community
</code></pre>

<p>When I look at some of my kids’ friends who were accepted to Hampshire with undistinguished academic credentials, they all seem to have strong writing skills and can point to things they’ve accomplished that indicate initiative and persistence. I have no idea, though, what admissions staff consider to be the most important traits from the above list.</p>

<p>I remain convinced that it was the parent recommendations that got both my kids in ; )</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>No doubt. ;)</p>

<p>(Of course I never bothered to send one in…oops)</p>

<p>Got a mailing earlier this week—Mr. Mothek and I will be spending the weekend working on D’s parent recommendation :)</p>

<p>Meanwhile, kinderny & ALF, I’d love to hear second-hand reports about Sub-free Hampshire Halloween… I’m sure other parents and prospectives would, too.</p>

<p>I really don’t have much to say about subfree- don’t have any real knowledge. D says the residents may “use” but just not in their dorm hall. She does not know what the hall norms are about coming back to the hall under the influence. </p>

<p>Oh, and related to an earlier question, D said Spring schedules for Hampshire are up and she can start registering for on campus classes next week or so. Think the consortium classes may be later- but am not positive re that.</p>

<p>As you probably all know, Hampshire Halloween is unquestionably the biggest event of the year (<a href=“https://hampedia.org/wiki/Hampshire_Halloween_2011[/url]”>https://hampedia.org/wiki/Hampshire_Halloween_2011&lt;/a&gt;). The campus is fenced off and the perimeter is patrolled to prevent outsiders from attending. Hampshire students can buy 3 tickets at $20 apiece for their non-Hampshire friends, and these tickets are regularly scalped at well above that price. All participants must wear a wristband to show that they are a student or ticket-holder. Only 600 tickets are issued to the other colleges (Smith, Mt. Holyoke, UMass, Amherst).</p>

<p>Hampshire works hard to make sure that Halloween is a safe event, but it is pretty wild and probably not the best night to be a member of the sub-free community. From a Hampshire letter to students: “Student volunteer “Superheroes” will help to promote and maintain a safe atmosphere on campus by making themselves available to assist students and guests on Halloween night. Volunteers will be identifiable by an orange sash stating: “I’m a Superhero” that signifies that they are sober and willing to be approached for help or with questions.” The goal is to identify students who over-indulge and rapidly get them medical attention. I’m told that the number of students who require medical attention is declining each year. </p>

<p>There are several events that seem to cater more to those who are not under the influence of substances. In particular, the events at the Living Arts Pavilion would probably good choices - a capella groups, circus-type acts, a burlesque show. On the other hand, late-night events in the tents are probably the wildest.</p>

<p>I’ll get a report after it’s all over.</p>

<p>Oh I misunderstood the question- thought you wanted to know more about the dorms.
Yes, D has been telling me about the event (tonight)- she is going to be the designated friend to watch out for her hall mates to make sure no one gets into trouble as she will not be partaking in any mood altering substances. :wink: I shared with her about the Living Arts Pavillion as I am guessing it will get really boring watching the everyone stumble all over themselves in the tents. I hope it is fun. I have been promised pictures.</p>

<p>Apparently Hampshire Halloween 2012 went off without any major hitches. The Residence Life staff will hold a meeting this week to go over the details. The big snowstorm hit soon after, and right now the campus is under at least a foot of snow, without power and trees are downed all over the place. It sounds doubtful that power will be restored by Monday, so classes may be canceled.</p>

<p>Yep campus was closed and those that lived within 100 miles and had transportation were asked to go home. H and I picked up D and friends (and friends of friends) who are now ensconced in our smallish tract home. Good times.</p>

<p>But, re Halloween, D had a great time and was substance free the whole time. She and two other students (1 girl, 1 boy) were the “last three standing”, coming home at 8 am- no “walk of shame” though- although a couple of people were thinking that until they realized it was D- for whom it would be pretty unthinkable to party, binge drink and pass out somewhere (or participate in other, alternate, behaviors. :wink: ) She said there was a lot of drinking but it wasn’t that rowdy and in fact some kids were “disappointed”. D thought you got out of it what you put into it (kinda like Hampshire in general). If you planned a costume, made arrangements to meet up with friends and figured out which activities you wanted to go to, then it was great. She and the one other girl were both sober the entire evening but were able to amuse themselves (and also keep a look out for friends who might not have the best judgment). It was a good time and D was happy.</p>

<p>Very glad to hear about sub-free HH; I hope your trick-or-treat gang had fun with the giant slumber party. I asked ALF on the other thread whether the power outage has ever been such a problem before… Sounds like quite an adventure.</p>

<p>We just visited Hampshire this past Saturday and were terribly disappointed. Academically and philosophically it is perfect for my daughter but there was such a disconnect with their philosophy and what appeared to be their actions. They brag about their composting and being so green and yet it was far and above the dirtiest campus we’ve ever visited and we’ve seen a lot of campuses. There was cigarette butts (how can smoking be gaining traction again?!) all over along with papers and bottles, etc. There seemed to be no respect for their environment which was very upsetting to my daughter. She could overlook the 1960’s and '70’s style red brick boring buildings but the garbage everywhere was very disheartening and, to her, sent a very different message than the tour guide and info session were trying to convey. Was this an anomaly? She’ll apply and if admitted return for admitted students day but still.</p>

<p>I’m sorry to hear that your visit did not go well. It has not been my experience that the campus is garbage-strewn; I wonder if they are still recovering from the snowstorm? It is true that the buildings are nondescript and there is certainly a backlog of maintenance tasks that would ideally have been completed by now. </p>

<p>As for the smoking, I’m totally with you on that one! I’m appalled at the number of smokers, particularly coming from the Pacific NW, where we hardly see any kids smoking. The community college where I work voted last year to go smoke-free, effective this coming Fall (2012).</p>

<p>Anyway, I hope your daughter will give Hampshire another chance on her second visit. Admitted students days are informative, but I wonder if visiting on an ‘off’ time will give a better idea of the campus and it’s inhabitants. She could also look into doing an overnight stay, hosted by some students.</p>

<p>I was just up on campus this past weekend and was astonished at how cleaned-up the campus is from the storm. I didn’t notice garbage strewn all over – anywhere. The buildings are old and feel a little dilapidated but my daughter and her friends aren’t complaining.</p>

<p>I agree re the smoking – I’ve seen a lot of campuses, too, and have never seen so many students smoking as I have at Hampshire. Wish they could be persuaded to quit!</p>

<p>Your daughter should definitely come back for another visit!</p>

<p>D says about 60% of the students smoke (tobacco or other substances) according to an on campus survey. So am not surprised at the cigarette butts. I was also wondering if trash/litter had been let go because of continuing storm cleanup- but as D says sometimes the campus talks the talk but does not walk the walk. She actually resents some of the green practices which don’t allow for paper towels in dorm bathrooms or some disposable dishes in the cafeteria.</p>

<p>We just came back from a campus visit (not to brag too much, but our daughter directed a full-length play! - [The</a> Valley Advocate: Stage - StageStruck: Upstairs Downstairs](<a href=“http://www.valleyadvocate.com/article.cfm?aid=14359]The”>http://www.valleyadvocate.com/article.cfm?aid=14359)), and the campus actually looked cleaner and tidier than I can recall. I strolled around and took a few snapshots (<a href=“http://www.■■■■■■■■■■/photos/22896023@N05/[/url]”>http://www.■■■■■■■■■■/photos/22896023@N05/&lt;/a&gt;) on a beautiful crisp Fall day. You can still see remnants of the destruction from the Halloween snowstorm, branches lying on the ground, broken branches up in trees, and newly-sawn-off tree limbs. Admittedly, there are cigarette butts lying all around the smoking kiosks, and some students appear to have poor aim when putting their garbage in the dumpsters. On the other hand, the recycling sheds were well-organized and filled with paper, cardboard, bottles, cans, etc.</p>

<p>According to our daughter, while a lot of snow fell last week (<a href=“https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151522427456159.552716.79369506158&type=1[/url]”>https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151522427456159.552716.79369506158&type=1&lt;/a&gt;), it was nothing like the Halloween storm from 2011, when big trees were toppling all over the place and the power was out for a week.</p>

<p>This snow was SO different from Snowpalooza of October 2011. It was light and fluffy and there weren’t that many power outages. It was windy, yes, but because there are no leaves on the trees, that made a big difference too. We live two hours north and hardly got anything at all (unlike Hampshire). My son said he spent Saturday after the snow making a igloo, which made me laugh for some reason. :-)</p>

<p>The pictures are gorgeous!</p>