Harder: Biology or Chemistry?

<p>Chemistry is harder</p>

<p>My O-chem class is more work than my two math classes and intro biology class combined. I recognize chemistry is a purer scientific discipline than biology and it is harder and of a higher caliber. In some ways it’s even harder than math cause it deals with the real world and it’s not all just work in your head. But I still like biology too much. I’m a biochemistry major but I ultimately want to do work in biology.</p>

<p>wow came across this and does it really matter which major is ‘harder’?
In the end its all about what YOU got out of your major/degree. Nobody is going to grant you a job based on whether your majored in something harder/easier but on what you bring to the table/your skills.
Maybe a higher GPA or something in a harder major looks better but if that person brings absolutely nothing to the table and just knew how to get good grades then so what.</p>

<p>This whole website is a joke. Which major is harder? Is that seriously a question? I am a biology major and I have to take 9 semesters of chemistry including gen chem, organic chemistry, and biochemistry, 2 semesters of physics, a year of calculus and 1 semester of statistics along with lots of biology that applies these subjects. I won’t speak for any other major but to do biology requires someone capable of excelling in every single one of these subjects. There is a reason that the only professional schools that routinely offer 6 figure incomes after graduation require the classes I have to take to get my bachelor degree and that is because biology is an extremely powerful degree. I know a lot of people who can’t pass the introductory biology courses at my school and can do all those subjects the people here seem to think are “harder”. This website is full of narcissistic mathematical kids who lack the thinking skills to say anything of value. Hopefully the servers for this web site break down to do the web a favor.</p>

<p>I’ve completed 3 of 4 years of my bio degree by now, and haven’t had to learn a thing aside from memorizing a bunch of information, which isn’t really learning. I fully acknowledge that if I were a more ambitious student, I would go for a chem degree so that I would have actually learned something during my time in college. </p>

<p>I laugh at the people in the upper level bio classes who are under the delusion that it takes anything other than memorization to get an A in the classes. Many of these people are the ones who did the bare minimum of chemistry requirements and cried because organic chemistry was hard during their first year. </p>

<p>I’m seriously going to graduate without having learned a thing, ***.</p>

I don’t get why nobody understands that the core of bio is biochemistry, and biochemistry is much, much harder than chemistry. This is the chemistry of LIFE, and if one has actually done research, it is a lot harder to analyze a living thing than to probe at some chemical. One can’t just take it apart, or it won’t work as intended anymore; One also can’t just analyze it working because there’s no way to see how the individual components work.

TBH, I don’t know why anyone is bothering to think about this.

It’s in the eyes of the beholder. Even within a major, a chem major might have struggled in gen Chem, but found o-chem easy. Similarly, a bio major might find biochem easier than say genetics.

Chemistry for me.

Because that has nothing to do with taking classes in the subject. When you take a biochemistry class, you memorize hundreds of molecules in metabolic pathways that have already been figured out for you. Biochemistry lab classes involve simple situations where the solution can be figured out in at most a few lab sessions.

Also, you’re doing a great disservice to chemistry if you think it’s simpler than biochemistry because chemists just “probe at some chemical.”

I am still undecided between a major in chemistry/biology; however, chemistry has always come naturally to me. For some reason, biology is harder for me.