Harder: Biology or Chemistry?

<p>I'd think Chemistry is the harder major, but I've heard some people say Biology is hardest. </p>

<p>Which one?</p>

<p>A lot of people will say "chemistry, because bio is just a lot of memorization".</p>

<p>These people are either not bio majors, or they have not taken upper level bio classes, or they have not been taught biology properly. Bio is a lot of memorization, but there is also a lot of logic and critical thinking involved. Chemistry is a lot of logic and, depending on what type of chemistry, a lot of math.</p>

<p>It really depends entirely on one's own strengths and weaknesses. This is like comparing apples and oranges.</p>

<p>^ True that, they are very different subjects. There's even an enormous difference between biochemistry and chemical biology.</p>

<p>That being said, I don't think any biology course is as difficult as physical chemistry.</p>

<p>I've taken upper level biology. It's a joke.</p>

<p>Upper level chemistry is hard. There is a LOT to know. Which includes both memorizing and understanding.</p>

<p>I know some idiots that have bio degrees. I don't know any idiots with chemistry degrees. Anyone that can read a textbook can get a bio degree (serious).</p>

<p>hahaha, what a bold standpoint to take.</p>

<p>Neither. Biology is little more than a simplified generalisation of chemistry, and this quote from Whitesides sums up my thoughts on the entire matter:</p>

<p>
[quote]
Harvard University chemist George Whitesides goes further. "The nature of the cell is an entirely molecular problem," he says. "It has nothing to do with biology, really." Whitesides suggests that the "really intellectual" parts of biology, such as its more quantitative and molecular aspects, are overlooked whenever biologists study whole organisms.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Biology for me. I can't memorize isht for the life of me</p>

<p>I'd say as a major, biology- simply because a bio major usually entails taking several chemistry courses as well-at least at my school. Chem majors don't really have to do much besides chemistry.</p>

<p>casespartan, the chemistry that bio majors is a joke; it's intro chemistry. That isn't even worth mentioning. Chem majors have to take quite a bit of physics, which is harder than the chemistry that bio majors have to take.</p>

<p>Sheed, my memory sucks, too, as does my work ethic. But I still have a harder time memorizing chemistry than bio. There is a LOT of memorization in chemistry.</p>

<p>Biology (and Physics) are extremely easy for me....Chemistry...that is hard as hell.</p>

<p>I don't think that either biology or chemistry is generally more difficult than the other. That being said, I do think that courses which combine elements of both (such as biochemistry or microbiology) tend to be tough courses and I also think that you would find plenty of people who think that physics is hands down more difficult than both biology and chemistry.</p>

<p>Russell, I don't know what school you go to, but bio majors here take the same amount of physics as chem majors. Also, bio majors have to go thru organic chem, unless thats what you were referring to as "intro chem." Anyways, I'm not arguing that biology as a subject is harder than chemistry, because I don't think it is at all. I just think the major requires a broader range of studies.</p>

<p>You have to know a good deal about both to do anything useful in the life sciences. I'm an ecology major (read) and I still had to take two terms of organic chemistry, and for veterinary school, I will also have to take biochemistry. On top of that, I had to learn some radiochemistry because I work with radioactive isotopes in an endocrinology lab. I think there are more similarities than differences. After all, biology's foundations are in the characteristics of chemical compounds, reactions, and energy transfer (to which a physics major would reply, which are based upon the laws of physics, and then I'd award him or her the tri-cornered hat of "Captain Obvious")</p>

<p>you shouldn't be deciding what to take between biology major from which is "harder" both upper division courses will be hard. Just remember with chemistry you are going to be using a lot more math (ex. p-chem, which is calc3 and physics2 as a prereq) Chem will be a lot more math based.</p>

<p>All that being said, you should major in what you like better, the one you like better will ultimately be easier to you because you enjoy that kind of work better</p>

<p>(i'm a biochem major)</p>

<p>Bio majors need to take all of the same lower divison chemistry classes as a chem major.. chem/bio/biochem take a lot of the same lower division courses.</p>

<p>Russell, what upper division bio did you take?</p>

<p>casespartan, I don't think that bio majors take any physics here. My sister didn't until after she got her degree, because she decided that she wanted to go to vet school and needed it as a pre-req.</p>

<p>burgler, I've taken upper level zoology, microbiology, and genetics. I'm a math major, transferring mech. engineering. This is my 3rd time changing majors; I've been literally all over the place.</p>

<p>tokyo, biology is based on chemistry, which is based on physics, which is based on math. But that doesn't mean that bio really deals with in depth theoretical chemistry, physics, or math; at least not at the undergraduate level. The formulas that bio majors used are always pre-derived and usually idealized for bodily environments (pH, temperature, etc.). </p>

<p>There's definitely more differences than similarities between chemistry and biology. One is using the laws of physics to study the behavior of particles and the other is applying that science to organisms. It's like math and engineering; definitely more differences than similarities.</p>

<p>Casespartan, bio majors only have to take two semesters of physics (mechanics and thermo/E&M). Chemistry majors have to take quantum mechanics on top of this. Also, organic chemistry is an intro class. Chem majors have to take two semester of physical chemistry (quantum and statistical thermodynamics), two semesters of inorganic chemistry, and much much more on top of this (obviously chem majors will take lots of chemistry classes =P).</p>

<p>Then again, chem majors only have to take one semester of biology here, while bio majors need three semesters of chem (1 genchem, 2 ochem).</p>

<p>I was a biology major before switching to chemistry. Chemistry is easier because it is grounded and quantified. It is on a grid (working on being off of one). Biology is like the Physics of the 21st Century. Amazing advancements are being made and tons of new things are being discovered. I am a Physical Chemist and personally find chemistry to be easier because it isn’t as abstract. Biology is very conceptual and studying organisms is extremely complex. Chemists have more control over what they study where biologists don’t. Also, Biology has one of the highest turnover rates (as far as majors go) - higher than chemistry, amongst universities. Biology undergraduates take, Physics, Chem, Orgo Chem, and biology. They are pretty well rounded and have many questions to ponder and a ton of hard **** to solve. Of course they do so with the help of their fellow chemists, physicists, and mathematicians. So yes, Bio is harder…sorry guys.</p>

<p>Chemistry is the harder of the two. 'Nuff said.</p>

<p>but biology is super cool!</p>

<p>I will right now admit Chemistry is the toughest major, I am doing a BS in Mathematics/Physics.</p>