Help deciding on OOS options or stay in state and transfer

bronzerfish - hope your daughter is doing well where she landed
Thank you for the reminding prerequisites classes. We will focus on that

fiftyfifty1 - thank you for the encouragement.
Didn’t think about the cc classes not being accepted in the future. So I guess now we will follow merit money — South Carolina, Alabama, U of Az, though not sure of ranks.

1 Like

“That allows you to pick the school based on other factors – good luck!“

ColdWombat - thank you for this. There is an interest in research so have been looking at that.

1 Like

Undergraduate school rankings matter very little for admission to medical school or graduate school in the biological sciences. I went to a highly-ranked LAC but my sibling attended a low-ranked regional college that accepts virtually any student with a high school diploma or GED. Both of us got into medical school without any problem, and have had successful careers. So don’t worry about rank; worry about affordability and then let fit be the tiebreaker.

In terms of community college credits, I should clarify: Medical schools want your medical school pre-requisites to be at a 4-year college not a CC, but they aren’t picky about the other credits. So your student could start at a CC, and get the other classes out of the way (Gen Eds, some electives etc) and then transfer after a year.

4 Likes

If you go toward Alabama - you’ll be joining more national merit finalists than any school in the country. Tons of smart kids. Frankly, all three schools have tons of smart kids - U of SC is your top Honors College and Arizona, buys kids in like Alabama…so forget acceptance rates, rank and whatever else - these schools are all legit.

Look at Mccullough Medical Scholars. It’s late but they are still taking apps per the website.

McCollough Scholars – Pre-Medical Studies at the University of Alabama (ua.edu)

2 Likes

& if you take (say) Chem 101 at a CC, but then take (say) Chem 201 at the 4 year, that’s fine- b/c the higher level will meet the standard

3 Likes

Great information! Thank you for the guidance

Mine is graduating HS in 2024, so in the learning/exploring phase for now. The past few months on cc have been really interesting and informative.

I hope you will continue to update including the final “this is the one!” college.