Help match me to colleges [NY resident, 93 or 3.8 GPA, <$10k; marketing and data analytics]

Demographics

US Citizen
Long Island, New York
small, public, and somewhat competitive
Female, Hispanic/Middle Eastern
first generation to college

Marketing and Data Analytics

93/3.8
Unweighted: 90
Weighted: 93
Haven’t Received Scores for SAT

Taken:
AP Seminar 3
AP Research 3
AP World 3
APUSH 2
AP Lang 3
Taking:

AP STAT

Coursework

Taken:
AP Seminar 3
AP Research 3
AP World 3
APUSH 2
AP Lang 3

Taking:
AP STATS
AP Lit
AP Government

St. john’s Spanish 1010-1020
St. john’s Spanish 2010-2020

Awards
Frederick Douglas Susan B Anthony Award (University of Rochester)
AP Scholar
Principal Honors Roll
AP Seminar and AP Research Certificate

Extracurriculars

Long Island Science Center
(visitor services, taught programs, helped with office work, assisted parties and events, prepped programs)

National Honor Society
World Language Honor Society
English Honor Society
Social Studies Honor Society
President of Rotary Interact Club
Student Ambassador
Yearbook Club
Girl Scout for over 10 years

Ran Thanksgiving food drive 2 years in a row
Ran Book Fairies Book Drive 2023
Helped Run summer camp
Project Encouragement (Solider Work)
Small events totaling in 20 hours

Essays/LORs/Other
Essay extremely strong (I talk about my battle with my anxiety, and going through domestic abuse and overcoming it)
LOR from Principal
LOR from 2 other teachers

Cost Constraints / Budget
less than 10k a year
(just an estimate)
trying to get scholarships
I have a single mom who is trying to make it work, but makes too much for financial aid

Schools
Likely: University of Rochester
Syracuse
Binghamton
UConn
New Haven
Boston University
New Paltz
Reach: Cornell
Safety: Albany

Please help!!

• Safety (certain admission and affordability)
  • Likely (would be possible, but very unlikely or surprising, for it not to admit or be affordable)
  • Match
  • Reach

Do you live within commuting distance from Stony Brook?

2 Likes

I think Rochester is a reach for you.

You say your mom makes too much to qualify for a lot of need based aid. So…how will you pay for Boston University, Cornell, Syracuse…or even UConn.

Perhaps @sybbie719 might have some suggestions for you.

2 Likes

yes, i do. But i did wanna try and go away… I have really bad anxiety about this sort of thing, so jumping into a position of independence would benefit me…

I am trying to find a school that will come in at your price point of under $10,000. Would another SUNY be affordable? Have you tried the NPCs?

I think many of the schools on your list will be unaffordable.

If you don’t qualify for aid, I’m not sure any on your list will work.

Obviously SUNYs are best. You are first gen and hispanic - but I’m not sure that Rochester or BU are likelies.

Have you run the net price calculators for BU and Rochester as well as Cornell?

It might be Stonybrook or a community college is your best bet. You’ll have more options once your test score comes back.

A school like W Carolina - not saying it’s right for you but it’d be all in about $20K or so.

Good luck.

Hi Rebecca,

With a cost constraint of $10,000 and your statement that your mom makes too much to qualify for a lot of need-based aid, you do not have any safeties on your list.

Syracuse will not meet your need
UCONN will not meet your need (OOS tuition)
Not academic likelies, they would be reaches.
Uof R
Boston University
Cornell
Albany
Bing

Your safety will be a SUNY that you can commute to from Long Island.
While they may not be financially safe options, consider going off the grid

I would recommend going off the grid and looking at Plattsburgh & Geneseo (data analytics), which are all amazing schools.

Marketing: Oneonta, Brockport, Fredonia (check to see if you can get merit from them)

take advantage of October being free application month at SUNY and CUNY . You will be eligible for 5 free SUNY applications ($250) and a CUNY application with 6 colleges ($65) savings.

In addition, there are a few NYS schools that are waiving their application fee for NYS residents if you apply this month:

https://www.hesc.ny.gov/cam/nys-colleges-waiving-application-fees.html

7 Likes

just to have you check your assumption here. are you saying she “makes too much for financial aid” based on having run the calculators at the schools you’re looking at, or just a sense? Because if she truly can only afford <$10K/year (based on those calculators), then I expect you would certainly qualify at most places; if she will only spend <$10K/year, then you need a place that will provide merit scholarships up to that amount (you won’t be able to piece together anything else in time) and I don’t believe any school on your list will come close to that.

1 Like

SUNY four year schools on Long Island are Stony Brook, Old Westbury, and Farmingdale State. There are also Suffolk and Nassau community colleges on Long Island. Of course, commutability may depend on where on Long Island the OP lives, given how long it is. Also, CUNYs may be commutable from some parts of Long Island.

3 Likes

Are you willing to take loans?
Have you considered service academies or ROTC?
If you take federal loans only (I believe it is $28K total or so over 4 years, $6500 in years 1-2 and then $7500 in years 3-4), then your budget is around $20-22K between what your mother can pay, loan and work.
See what your SAT scores are but schools in Florida should definitely be in your budget.
USF, UCF others like those should be considered.
Since you are Hispanic, consider smaller schools in TX too like Angelo State that gives fabulous scholarship $.

I don’t think FL would work, public universities would be close to 40k.

Can you run the NPC on UROCHESTER and SUNY ALBANY and write the numbers you see for NET COST?

1 Like

I haven’t tried NPCs and ultimately I don’t know exactly what my price limits are… I still have to run the numbers. I truly don’t know what i’m doing or truly where to start

Please run the NPCs on u Rochester (a meet need university) and SUNY Albany (an instate public university) then write your NET PRICE at each of them on this thread because it will help us help you wrt affordable universities.

4 Likes

NPC on University of Rochester (19k)
I am not interested in Albany after research

I did some more research, and I will be able to get need based aid, my mother makes less than we thought (less than 70 k)

1 Like

Can you provide for me a couple of new york, conneticuit, new jersey or rhode island schools that could be good for me

After further research, I do qualify for aid, she makes less than 70k… Bostons NPC came out to 12k yearly. I don’t think that UOR is even an option since the NPC is 19k as well. Thanks for your help.

Try running the NPC for Lehigh. It’s in PA, not in one of the states you named, but it’s not too far from NYC, and they meet need with no-loan aid, and have strong business programs.

4 Likes

Thanks for the recommendation. It came out to 13k yearly which isn’t bad… I am adding it to my list. It’s a good distance from home as well.

5 Likes

That could be better than the BU package, if the latter includes loans. You could always elect to take the guaranteed loans at Lehigh, and bring the our-of-pocket down further. It’s also a slightly less reachy admit than BU.

2 Likes