Help me with my college list[4.0UW/36ACT; Econ/Business/Psych for Georgia resident]

Even though you may not want more reaches, check out Vanderbilt (only four hours from the Atlanta area). We are also from Ga, and our strategy was a little different from what others are suggesting. It just depends on your kid and how many choices he wants and potential rejection he can take.

My S (with similar stats to yours) didn’t really want to visit schools, said he’d like whatever college he chose, and was satisfied with the in state options (got into UGA honors and Ga tech). So, most of the rest of his list included reach schools except for U. Richmond (it was more of a match and he was accepted) and Pitt (where he got a $25,000 merit scholarship).
He’s been very happy at Vanderbilt and was able to design his own major which combined Economics with Environmental Science (Sustainability). I definitely wouldn’t spend a lot of time or money visiting the reach schools though once you have an idea of the size/atmosphere/offerings your son wants.

1 Like

Do NOT conflate acceptance rate with the quality of the education/rigor of the curriculum/composition of the student body. As I’ve posted before, you can look at a college like Franklin and Marshall and think “must be a bunch of slackers”. No. It’s a rural college in the middle of Amish country which is neither near skiing, beaches, or a fun, buzzy city. But the college still has to fill its dorms and labs and libraries-- and it does so with a much more generous acceptance rate, knowing that the kids who get in are going to be comparing it to the ski/beach/buzzy campuses when they make a final decision. It offers a terrific education, is highly regarded by grad schools and employers, and is filled with kids who love to learn.

Fordham is an interesting case, and I would not conclude anything about the quality of its educational offerings based on its admissions rates. It is something of a match school for the parochial school applicants who want to be at Georgetown or ND, but when three quarters of your HS class is applying to those colleges, your GC is going to insist you cast the net a little wider. But these kids (some of whom end up at Fordham) are every bit the students as the ones who end up in the more prestigious places.

It is a destination college for kids interested in the performing arts who do not want the conservatory experience, want a liberal arts education, but hope to end up as a working actor/artist. It is a solid match college for the kids who get shut out of Wharton because Fordham’s business program punches above its weight in Wall Street employment. Solid, highly regarded business program in NYC-- their grads do very, very well.

The absurdity is looking at acceptance rate and assuming that gives you an accurate window into the education a kid gets at that college. It is ONE factor, and for some colleges (I’ve pointed out two) not a very compelling one.

The reverse is also true of course- colleges where it’s easy to get your ticket punched (very easy) but because of location, the perception is that the college is a LOT more rigorous/prestigious than it really is.

4 Likes

Seconding U of Richmond, Emory, and Vanderbilt – all are relatively close to Georgia and have excellent econ/business.

Vanderbilt especially is pretty reachy, though, so keep that in mind.

I also would recommend Duke – but also a reach.

UGA and GIT are great public options close to home, so if he would be happy with either of those and they are affordable, I think you are simply finding more decadent frosting for an already-fine cake.

Edit:

I also want to call attention to UChicago and Brown: both are outstanding schools, but the curricular styles are nearly polar-opposite: Brown has an open curriculum, while UChicago has a version of a core curriculum, in which students must take several required types of courses. If he is okay with both styles (and everything in between at other schools), that’s fine – just wanted to bring it to your attention.

“UGA and GIT are great public options close to home, so if he would be happy with either of those and they are affordable, I think you are simply finding more decadent frosting for an already-fine cake.”

I absolutely agree with you, but just wanted to point out that the Zell Miller scholarship covers full tuition at UGA and Georgia Tech for Georgia residents with at least a 3.7 high school GPA and 1200 SAT/26 ACT. It would also cover about $6k at Emory. OP has indicated that finances aren’t an issue. But as a Georgia resident, it certainly makes you think twice before deciding to spend an extra $200k or more for a college that isn’t any “better” (however you want to define that) than our in state options. The way I see it, UGA honors with free tuition is probably the worst case scenario. The rest is gravy. Only question is whether to add a couple of safeties and matches to guarantee a few choices when all is said and done.

6 Likes

If you live in GA or Florida and have a smart kid, you have to be crazy rich to leave :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maybe more like crazy or rich :rofl: In all seriousness, everyone’s circumstances and priorities are different. My engineering kid was waitlisted at Georgia Tech and went to an out of state public with a large merit scholarship. He chose that over UGA honors because at the time UGAs program was not ABET accredited and did not offer his major. My younger kid really wanted a smaller liberal arts college. We can afford it, and he is very happy with his choice.

6 Likes

I’m teasing - but they make it so dang difficult to leave!!

And yes, many go OOS - because even with the great GA and FL merit, others crush it too.

And yes, even some go to small LACs or far out places - but I’m sure everyone thinks twice!!! and three times!!!

Thanks everyone who shared their insights. This was my first thread on this forum and learned a lot from your responses. This is truly an amazing community.

4 Likes

Thanks everyone for your input. After some research we settled on the following list:

Northwestern
CMU
NYU
Georgetown
Michigan - Ross

UNC
UT Austin
Ga Tech
Emory

Indiana
UGA
URichmond or UMD

2 Likes

Given your list I’d go UMD over Richmond. Or do both.

IU is a safety. For that reason, your list is fine.

I’m sure the Ga schools will come through but let’s call them a match. A low match but not a safety.

You mention business and Econ. These are very different. If it’s business you want, then check your list for which are direct admit and which are not.

UNC is not for example. You have to get in after you are enrolled at the university. If it’s Econ you want then no issue.

Good luck.

Thank you! We did check the direct admit on business and that’s why did not include UVA but missed it on UNC. Good call.

1 Like

Doesn’t mean you can’t try. They have a minor. And you noted econ.

Is there a business discipline - like finance or marketing ?

If supply chain, for example, you’d want an ASU or UTK or Mich State. So it’s more than just ‘big names’…

Based on your first note, it may be Econ and not even business …but if business, which area.

Have you looked at Babson ?

He is interested in a business major. Not sure about the specific area - marketing or finance.

There’s many areas of business - and your list may (or may not) be determined by the area he likes…althugh you can do those majors (and more) at any school.

1 Like

I think he needs to explore more before deciding which area. So a school that allows him to explore disciplines in business to figure out what he likes would be best.

1 Like

I don’t know – let’s say a poor kid gets into Princeton, and it will cost nothing or nearly so. It would not be crazy for that kid to leave FL or GA, unless Princeton did not offer what (s)he wanted to study.

(Not just Princeton, obviously – I’m talking about the elite, rich, generous schools)

1 Like

Well - I’m talking about those - that would have to pay.

Obviously kids leave the state - but they make it awfully hard to.

Most are not on a full meets need - but yes, your point is valid.

I’m speaking in general. My state gives $$ - but not $$ like that. My company is HQ in Atlanta and those whose kids go to UGA - they pay room and board. It’s a sweet deal.

I even know UF people on the pre paid which I don’t think they do anymore. That’s unreal!!

I’m just saying the state makes it hard - even to consider OOS.

But obviously some leave for various reasons -and your point on the have need kids is fair.

But surely there are many ivy caliber kids at the big four - UGA, Ga Tech, UF, and FSU.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.