Help needed with ED options

Hi there,

I am working on my college list and considering ED options in CS/Data Science/Computer Engineering at Vtech, Case Western, NYU, Northeastern, BU. I would love to get feedback on how easy it to transfer within majors if it’s not direct admission, like Vtech CS/CE where first year is general. No financial or location constraints. Prefer not to be in a big Greek/party culture school. Stats: 3.8 UW (8 APs), SAT 1450 (780M,670R), lots of community service accolades (media, nonprofit), robotics (worlds), orchestra and other jobs and internships. If there are any other colleges that I am missing on my list based on my stats would love to get that insight. Thanks.

Case Western does not admit by major so you can change easily. It is not a party or sports school and greek life is minimal on campus. Your stats are competitive for Case. Demonstrated interest is very important to them so make sure you sign up for online webinars, visit campus, interview. They have EA as well but if you love it ED.

7 Likes

Northeastern does not admit by major either. You would indicate CS on your application but choice of major does not affect acceptance. Many coop and research opportunities in the Boston area.

WPI and Clarkson get a lot of love on CC. RPI might be worth a look. They changed leadership and apparently it’s much better.

Lehigh came to mind as well.

The prevailing wisdom is to only ED if it’s absolutely your favorite school and it’s affordable.

Good luck.

3 Likes

I agree with the other commenter. Case loves ED, you can switch freely between majors well into your program, they have great music, and I don’t think anyone would call it a party school. Glad it’s on your list.

3 Likes

Programmer here. It really doesn’t matter. CS degrees are absurdly employable. Choose a good affordable in-state school. If a private school offers a good financial aid package that makes it competitive to an in-state, then definitely consider them too. Keep the debt to a minimum. There’s no benefit to taking out tons of debt for a bachelors degree, no matter how prestigious it seems. Prestige in the tech world is about as useful as getting a few nods at a dinner party. Literally no one cares. 99% of your credentials will be hands-on experience.

1 Like

I read here on CC a few months ago of a CS graduate from the University of Chicago who interviewed at a major Silicon Valley company. The recruiter, looking at her resume, asked if UChicago was part of the University of Illinois!