Help Us Decide: admitted Berry College OOS vs other options?

DD accepted with a selective scholarship, interested in Animal Science/pre-vet. Also accepted to NC State, Virginia Tech (honors college), UNC Chapel Hill, Furman, and Bucknell. Berry was not on the radar, but DD is interested in a small school with access to the outdoors, ability to get hands-on paid experience on campus working with large animals and veterinarians, and is looking for a nurturing, less-pressurized social and academic competitive environment for college. The significant scholarship, personal attention from the professors while on campus, and beauty of the campus all captured her interest during a recent visit.

Anyone that could shed light as a former/current student on their experience with Berry? Pros and cons you might offer?

Itā€™s a ā€˜Berryā€™ religious school. Does that matter ?

And with little nearbyā€¦even less than Bucknell. You have an eclectic list. Few students would pick Berry over any other on your list but thatā€™s because few have heard of it. If itā€™s right for youā€¦.

Couldnā€™t help myself.

3 Likes

For veterinary science, you canā€™t do much better than highly ranked Nc State. Im not familiar with Berry at all.

If she wants a small school, Iā€™d pick Bucknell over Berry anytime - more academically rigorous yet nurturing, more resources per student, access to nature, yet access to a city if you wish. Not sure about hands-on experience with animals though.
If she wants a large school, VTech Honors would be awesome - more personalized classes with the Honors College but large STEM school with lots of lifestock.

2 Likes

Thank you all for the input - the comments are helpful! Wondering if anyone out there has first-hand experience visiting/considering Berry or a family member that attended for additional insight?

Sonā€™s friend brother went - very very very religious family and htatā€™s why they went. Itā€™s a very Christian school.

itā€™s unknown outside of Rome - even people in Atlanta donā€™t know about it and Iā€™m not exaggerating.

Of the schools in consideration for pre-vet and access to large animals, I am most familiar with NC Stateā€¦ and Iā€™ve only heard positive things.

As a GA resident I am familiar with Berry in general and know kids who attend, but none are in veterinary science. Berry has an absolutely gorgeous campus and can be a good fit for kids interested in a conservative and Christian environment (not overly so, but it does influence the cultureā€¦ as far as I know is non-denominational Christian). It has a solid regional reputation with students looking for this experience along with good academics.

Berry is in a rural/remote part of northwest GA so that may be a negative for some kids. I think it is a beautiful area of GA and the size of Berryā€™s campus offers many opportunities to enjoy the outdoors without even going off-campus.

ETA: If Berry was a powerhouse for veterinary science I think I would have heard about it, but maybe not. My D was considering vet science at one point and did an internship in the vet clinic at UGA so that was more on our radar. I personally know kids who did large animal vet at NC State and had a phenomenal experience so Iā€™d give that a lot of thought unless it is just too large and not the type of place your student would thrive.

2 Likes

Perhaps in the Jewish community, so I do not doubt your comment. In the Atlanta (and Georgia overall) Christian community it is known. Is it known as an academic powerhouse? No. But it is known as a solid academic experience for kids looking for a conservative Christian college in GA.

2 Likes

I only heard a lot from my sonā€™s friend. His brother was going. And I used to go to Rome so I saw it.

Iā€™ve talked to co workers about it. They donā€™t know of it. Not sure a single one. I mean i talk to 3 or 4 people about college. Not 100. But thereā€™s many Christian colleges like that - people havenā€™t heard of.

1 Like

You mention the scholarship at Berry a couple of times in your OP. Are the other colleges affordable on your list of acceptances?

Why was this college included in your students application list? It is quite different from all of the others you listed.

I think the choices are:

• Virginia Tech honors = best pre-vet option
  • Bucknell = best ā€œpersonalizedā€ option (less good for livestock)
  • Berry = best for conservative/Christian option (less good for livestock&academics)
2 Likes

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Thumper1 above asked a good question about the financial angle. DD would like to graduate without student loan debt, especially with the possibility of grad school on the horizon - we have saved for this exciting time but funds arenā€™t unlimited.

NC State (we are in-state), Berry College, and UNC Chapel Hill are roughly equivalent in costs after considering the awarded scholarships, and each of those three schools would leave some dollars toward grad school.

Virginia Tech (we are out of state), even with a small merit award, is almost twice as expensive as the two above and would require some student debt coming out of undergrad.

Bucknell, even after merit award, is way out of our price range unless she wants to carry a significant load of undergrad debt.

I agree itā€™s an eclectic list - thanks again for the thoughts on the thread.

2 Likes

Let us know what you decide.

State! And I say that as a UNC alum. She can find her people there and they have cows on campus. The vet school is renowned there. Itā€™s the #4 vet school in the country according to USNews.

I think if she is not religious and conservative she would find Berry to be a bad fit.

If she is religious and conservative she can find like-minded folks at State, too.

I realized I hadnā€™t answered the other part of the question. It (Berry) got on the radar via the college guidance counselor, in response to input from DD that she wanted to include an option on her list for a small school where she could have a lot of 1:1 access to professors with natural beauty, access to rural environment, and an animal science program that had a high vet school placement rate and undergraduate hands-on exposure to large animals. I know that seems very specific, but thatā€™s my daughter . . .

On the religion topic: she is Christian and religious, so that aspect isnā€™t a negative for her, but an explicitly religious school isnā€™t a driving force in her decision - she knows that she can find those communities as a part of her college experience wherever she goes. I think the more important decision for her is pressure-testing and figuring out her preference for large vs. small and intimate.

2 Likes

Iā€™m a UNC grad too, Sweetgum - itā€™s killing me that it isnā€™t higher on her list!

Then Bucknell is out.
Would the student debt after VTech be 27K or under (for all 4 years)? If so, itā€™s still in the runningā€¦ if not, itā€™s out.
That leaves NCSU and Berry (if Berry is affordable), with NCSU being better for vet school prep and Berry more personalized, setting aside the conservative/Christian aspect at Berry (since sheā€™d be fine with it but itā€™s not the driving force for her decision).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If youā€™d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.